Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 15:02   #31

Re: Tropical storm approaching and on my mooring

Put your Racnor out at a 180 degree angle to the mooring with all your chain. You should be fine.....
Get rid of the poly as soon as you can!!!!!!!
svinvictus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 15:10   #32

Boat: 45ft Ketch

20kg Rocna sounds good for a 33ft mono.
20mm Nylon with splice extending over the chafe area and no fire hose is better. Much less stretch in the splice zone so less heat and chafe. Other end of the nylon in the water so well lubricated and cooled.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 17:56   #33

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Very good comments. Thank you.

I added a 1 inch 3 strain poly line. Breaking strength is 27000 lbs. I used firehouse at the cleat to deter chaffing. I made this rope a little longer than the 3/8 thinking that the 3/8 will stretch and then the inch will come into play. Stayed on the screw, all of the chain is 3 weeks old, so not worn or any barnacle growth. 97i is at 13 degrees now, we are 12. So the impact will be less than originally expected, that can change in a hurry though.

My intentions have been to stay on the mooring up to and including a Cat 1. Over that I leave the island to points west or south. Depends on the storm. I will post the results of my decision as they occur. All is very calm now, 9:00 pm.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 18:34   #34

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
Very good comments. Thank you.

I added a 1 inch 3 strain poly line. Breaking strength is 27000 lbs. I used firehouse at the cleat to deter chaffing. I made this rope a little longer than the 3/8 thinking that the 3/8 will stretch and then the inch will come into play. Stayed on the screw, all of the chain is 3 weeks old, so not worn or any barnacle growth. 97i is at 13 degrees now, we are 12. So the impact will be less than originally expected, that can change in a hurry though.

My intentions have been to stay on the mooring up to and including a Cat 1. Over that I leave the island to points west or south. Depends on the storm. I will post the results of my decision as they occur. All is very calm now, 9:00 pm.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You (and others) should understand the characteristic's of the rope your using. 1. Nylon 3 strand will give about 10% stretch (elasticity) and not lose strength. Nylon 3 strand is the best option for anchoring and mooring. poly and poly blends are less elastic, breakdown faster (weaken) and are typically weaker in tensile than nylon. I am assuming your boat is no more than 12k-15k lbs so the 1" poly should be fine as long as you have some elasticity in your set-up. (snubbers do very little for elasticity)
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 00:28   #35

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Just read Noaa as of 2 am est. Winds to 35 knots plus gusts. 90 percent chance of forming a cyclone. It is not named yet, which means my deductible has not gone up yet. My friend in Bequia not to worried and is hoping for rain. He lives ashore
admiralslater is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, mooring