Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 12:08   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Tripping Eye

I notice that Rocna has now moved the tripping eye from the top of the shank to back of the fluke. I assume working on the Vulcan got them to thinking, since that is where the tripping eye is on the Spade. It is also where the tripping eye is on a Fortress (back of the crown).

Why have tripping eyes always been placed up high on the shank, when the back of the fluke or base of the shank are better angles for pulling the fluke out backwards?
Old 22-10-2016, 12:32   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Tripping Eye

The Rocna still has a hole in the top of the shank, I believe for tandem anchoring if that is your thing. Idea being I think to keep the pull in a straight line from one anchor to the other.
If I'm where I think getting the anchor back might be difficult, or where maybe I don't want to dive it, I attach a 5/8" dock line to it with a small fender tied to the other end, thinking hopefully that my windlass could get it back. I leave a shackle permanently in that hole.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 12:44   #3

Re: Tripping Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Rocna still has a hole in the top of the shank, I believe for tandem anchoring if that is your thing. Idea being I think to keep the pull in a straight line from one anchor to the other.
If I'm where I think getting the anchor back might be difficult, or where maybe I don't want to dive it, I attach a 5/8" dock line to it with a small fender tied to the other end, thinking hopefully that my windlass could get it back. I leave a shackle permanently in that hole.
No, the hole in the top is also for tripping. I think it remains there, even though it is redundant, because it was there before and because people expect to see one there.The tandem anchor eye on a Rocna is at the base of the shank.

Why not put the tripping eye at the back of the fluke?

The only purpose I can think of for a high tripping eye is to lower an anchor into place, as is done with oil platform anchors, although the application for yachtsman eludes me.

----

Lets not get off track--I don't want to discuss tandem anchors--but you NEVER use the tripping on any anchor or any other high location for a tandem. That will flip the anchor on it's back in an instant and keep it there. The idea is to keep the pull low and in-line between the shackle and the toe of the anchor, where the force needs to transfer. Attaching the secondary rode high also destroys the digging angle.
Old 23-10-2016, 14:02   #4

An anchor thread with only one response? A new record.
Old 23-10-2016, 19:26   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I was thinking about about building the shank out of really strong pegboard.
Happy now Thin. haha
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 21:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Fun aside then. I can't speak for others but lets talk about the EXCEL's concept. The low one just above the fluke when loaded will retain that proper angle into the seabed, for tadem if you like. I do believe that same lower hole is a better angle for the trip or dragging it out forward. If I was to mount a float or short retrival line it would be on the lower hole. The upper hole would simply lift the anchor vertically with semi balanced control, nice way to hang them or move around. Especially the big fellas. That upper hole is great when building custom bow rollers for that retaining pin. Saying that..plug time.
Anchor Right Australia manufactures a skookum line of Stainless Bow Rollers that fit the anchors. They come undrilled in different lenghts. You cut them and drill the holes where you need them. Your local fab guy can weld to them or we can make something custom happen for you. Tipped down nose for launch, double delrin rollers with big axles. Smart captive pin. I think they are reasonably priced. As a metal fabricator I cannot even think about making this for what they retail. Up to now ive been modifying the off the shelf stuff but never really happy with the strength, always marginal. The only other option is full custom fabrication. As much as I like building things I always attempt to use something off the shelf even it needs a mod.
Happy to discuss your special needs.
ce
Ground Tackle Marine
Old 23-10-2016, 22:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
I was thinking about about building the shank out of really strong pegboard.
Happy now Thin. haha
ce

Yeah, you'd think one hole the right place should do it.
Old 23-10-2016, 22:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

I cannot take credit for that joke. I was a teen working at a boatyard installing a thruhull. On the ground drilling into someones hull with a holesaw. This older well respected shipright strolls by and says "adding another hole are ya, may as well just build it out of pegboard and fill the ones you don't need"
ce
Old 25-10-2016, 08:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Rocna will more than likely making a lot of changes. Especially when it comes to the Vulcan. The Vulcan is an anchor design we scraped over 5 years ago due to poor performance and poor testing. Our version was called the Sword ( pic below).
The balance of this anchor, paired with its ability to foul due to simply getting muddy, makes this design not safe and really needs to be taken off the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SWord.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	133819  
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 08:08   #10
Marine Service Provider

https://www.morganscloud.com/2016/08...hts-on-vulcan/

"And there’s another important point to know: Over the years, SPADE themselves tried twice to design an anchor that would be cheaper to build—intrinsically expensive fabricated construction is the marketing Achilles heel of the SPADE—but still effective. They failed miserably both times."- Attainable Adventures

If we can't copy our selves, how does Rocna think they can do it?
Old 25-10-2016, 09:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Spade, just to be sure of the facts as I just read them?
"The Sword is unsafe and should be taken off the market"? Was there a recall?
ce
Old 25-10-2016, 09:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Spade, just to be sure of the facts as I just read them?
"The Sword is unsafe and should be taken off the market"? Was there a recall?
ce

No recall. It did not meet our standards and we took it off the market.
Old 25-10-2016, 10:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
No recall. It did not meet our standards and we took it off the market.
I just have to ask here.
Did Spade Anchor just admit to knowingly selling a defective untested anchor? and then knowingly not recall said defective anchor?
And then come here and bad mouth a competitor?
That's what I just read. Interesting indeed.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 10:59   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I just have to ask here.
Did Spade Anchor just admit to knowingly selling a defective untested anchor? and then knowingly not recall said defective anchor?
And then come here and bad mouth a competitor?
That's what I just read. Interesting indeed.
What is being said is we released the Sword Anchor as it tested better than 6 out of 10 of the most popular anchors at the time. The issue we had is we want only the best to have the Spade Anchor name. So as the Sword was inferior to 4 other brands we scraped it.
No recall was needed as this was our decision. We also issued credits to anyone that wanted to trade in the Sword.
So if a product was deemed inferior and repeatedly fails tests do you think its a good idea to replicate that product then sell it under a different name?