Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2009, 05:51   #76
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
From my research, merely OWNING a Rocna or Manson and having it aboard apparently drops the wind to at or below 25 knots. This is truly wonderful news! Word has it that the next generation will make everything a beam reach too!
They should hire your to write their brochures!

TaoJones
Old 20-05-2009, 08:21   #77
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
reply to Chris' question

Quote:
Rangiroo, how would you feel about lying to just one Rocna in a cut with current that reverses several times a day? Do you think the anchor pops and resets or just slowly drags around? Thanks, Chris
Chris, what you've described is our typical anchoring situation. I doubt that it's resetting itself on the tidal shift only because it sets so securely the first time. We have a powerful horizontal-shaft windlass, and it often struggles to pull the Rocna up even when we're directly over the anchor. Once or twice I've had to use the diesel to break the hook out.

The owner's stateroom on our boat is forward, and we used to be able to hear previous anchors (a Bruce and a Delta) unset/reset themselves during a tidal change. We haven't yet heard that with the Rocna, but this may be because we're sleeping more soundly on this hook.
Old 20-05-2009, 08:32   #78
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The owner's stateroom on our boat is forward, and we used to be able to hear previous anchors (a Bruce and a Delta) unset/reset themselves during a tidal change. We haven't yet heard that with the Rocna, but this may be because we're sleeping more soundly on this hook.
More good brochure / ad copy!

TaoJones
Old 20-05-2009, 09:09   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
"Dear Rocna:

I am writing to tell you how delighted I am with my new 44kg Rocna anchor. Previously, I had nothing but bad luck with anchors. My Delta anchor never set right; and so instead of sleeping at anchor I always had to keep watch at night on the foredeck, with a fisherman and a Danforth right at hand on spare rodes, and the engine idling all night in case I had to circle around. My wife got tired of waiting for me and started to invite local fisherman on board to have sex with while I stood watch. One night in a narrow bay in Maine, the Delta broke loose in a tide change, and I couldn’t get to the cockpit in time to get the boat in gear and circle around. My Hinckley Sou’wester was smashed on the rocks – a total loss. I barely got out with my life. My wife, however, who was down below and distracted by something (?), went down with the ship. My insurance company didn’t pay, because they said that using any anchor other than a Rocna is negligence per se.

After that, I bought a new boat and a Manson Supreme. I would have sprung for the Rocna, but after the financial disaster of losing my previous boat I was forced to save money on inferior substitutes. The very first night out at anchor, the Manson, which as everyone knows is an inferior knock-off of the Rocna, popped out and wouldn’t reset because of a subtle design defect introduced during the design-pirating process. After several attempts, I finally got the thing to set, and wouldn’t you know it – the shank separated from the blade, and again I was adrift with no effective ground tackle. It turns out that Manson spent all their R&D budget on an intense smear campaign against Rocna, and didn’t have any money left to properly design or test the shank-fluke interface of the anchor.

Finally I ponied up and at last bought the real thing – a Rocna! It sets so well that it actually tunnels into the seabed all by itself. When underway, I have to keep a padlock in the fairlead to keep it from jumping out all by itself and attaching itself to the bottom. Even before it touches the bottom, the boat stops in its tracks, like it was attached to a piling. It stops so hard I have had to be careful to stow the crockery to avoid smashing it all. The other night, I was at anchor in Tampa Bay during Hurricane Big Bertha, sleeping peacefully in the 160 knot winds, knowing that nothing, but nothing, could ever break the Rocna out of the seabed. The next morning all the trees and lightpoles were down, buildings were destroyed, and about 200 boats were on the beach, but I was lying comfortably at anchor, making my morning coffee as usual. And wouldn’t you know it, a bikini-clad lass rowed up in a dinghy, complaining that her boat was destroyed in the storm (you see, she had a Manson Supreme) and that she had no place to go for the night. Next month we are to be wed, and we’re already expecting our first child. It’s all thanks to Rocna! Thank you, Rocna, for great cruising, and a great life!"

Philomel F. Snerd, Esq.
S/V “Makin’ Whoopie”
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 09:15   #80

Boat: Caliber 40
I wrote a lengthy blog post on our decision to go with a Rocna and the sizing choice. You can read it here:
s/v hello world: thoughts on ground tackle

The short version: I need overkill on ground tackle to sleep at night. No pictures, unfortunately. The bowsprits on Calibers tend to be pretty friendly towards ungainly anchors so we had no problems with fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I'm looking at getting a Rocna for my Corbin 39 and am waffling between a 25kg and a 33kg. My boat will be about 25,000 lbs. loaded. It has a bowsprit and I'm know sure how it will fit.
  • Any comments?
  • How did you arrive at the 33kg vs 25kg?
  • What did your 33kg cost you? (perhaps PM?)
  • Do you have any pictures of it on your boat?
  • Would you be willing to post one?
Any answers to these questions, may be a big help to me.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 09:41   #81
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
laugh all you want, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
"Dear Rocna:

I am writing to tell you how delighted I am with my new 44kg Rocna anchor.
...last weekend I was anchored with 12 other boats, all sailboats, when the breeze somewhat abruptly went for 0 to 31 knots. Four of the boats dragged. Of those four boats, two attempted to reset and were unable to do so, while the other two departed immediately, presumably back to the security of their slips. I only had 4-to-1 scope, all chain, and when my wife suggested we increase scope I told her I wanted to leave it short just to test the anchor. When we left, three hours later, the anchor didn't break out until we were right over it.

I'm not claiming to be completely pleased with Rocna. It's finish is inferior for an anchor costing as much as it does, and mine was delivered with a bent bail. Rocna has not been responsive about the bail, other than to assure me that someone would get in touch with me. This hasn't happened. However, the anchor sets instantly and never drags. Mine is not oversize. My displacement is 15 tons loaded and I'm using a 25 kilo anchor with 5/16" chain. Plenty, even considering the high freeboard of my boat. (My boat is the center one pictured in my avatar. For comparison, that's a Catalina 42 to starboard and a Catalina 34 to port.)

BTW, Rocna doesn't make a 44.
Old 20-05-2009, 10:20   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
...last weekend I was anchored with 12 other boats, all sailboats, when the breeze somewhat abruptly went for 0 to 31 knots. Four of the boats dragged. Of those four boats, two attempted to reset and were unable to do so, while the other two departed immediately, presumably back to the security of their slips. I only had 4-to-1 scope, all chain, and when my wife suggested we increase scope I told her I wanted to leave it short just to test the anchor. When we left, three hours later, the anchor didn't break out until we were right over it.

I'm not claiming to be completely pleased with Rocna. It's finish is inferior for an anchor costing as much as it does, and mine was delivered with a bent bail. Rocna has not been responsive about the bail, other than to assure me that someone would get in touch with me. This hasn't happened. However, the anchor sets instantly and never drags. Mine is not oversize. My displacement is 15 tons loaded and I'm using a 25 kilo anchor with 5/16" chain. Plenty, even considering the high freeboard of my boat. (My boat is the center one pictured in my avatar. For comparison, that's a Catalina 42 to starboard and a Catalina 34 to port.)

BTW, Rocna doesn't make a 44.
Any of your guys have a sense of humor? Jeez. I'm just having a little fun with the anchor propaganda wars.

I'll probably buy one myself. Certainly, the worst thing about cruising for me are the sleepless nights at anchor. I've had too many bad experiences. I will be sincerely happy and wildly grateful if one of these anchors (Rocna, or Manson) actually lets me get some sleep for a change. Self-tunneling action or not.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 12:16   #83
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Quote:
Any of your guys have a sense of humor? Jeez. I'm just having a little fun with the anchor propaganda wars.
Hey I thought it was hilarious, hat off for sense of humor and well written ad copy...
Old 20-05-2009, 13:39   #84

I thought it was great. But you've got me confused, which anchor is currently having the problem with coming apart? the Rocna I thought...?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 13:54   #85

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Chris, what you've described is our typical anchoring situation.
THAT is good news! When anchoring in cuts such as in the Keys or Bahamas there are areas where to drag after the tide turns will carry you up against a bridge while you sleep. Makes for sleepless nights. Needless to say your mast wont like it, and the normal way to prevent it is by laying a Bahamian moor twin anchor setup. I think anyone is this situation would love an anchor they could trust...

BTW, Dockhead, I'm am sorry to hear of your first wife's demise. I myself barely got out of there in time...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 14:01   #86
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
<snip>

BTW, Dockhead, I'm am sorry to hear of your first wife's demise. I myself barely got out of there in time...
You're mistaken, Chris - that wasn't Dockhead's first wife. It was the wife of the esteemed barrister, Philomel F. Snerd, Esq., skipper of the s/v Makin' Whoopie.

A tragic loss, to be sure.

TaoJones
Old 20-05-2009, 14:11   #87

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
You're mistaken, Chris - that wasn't Dockhead's first wife. It was the wife of the esteemed barrister, Philomel F. Snerd, Esq., skipper of the s/v [I]Makin' Whoopie.
My bad. You're right as usual Tao. I'm still just so broke up about the whole thing! Mrs. Snerd was a wonderful woman, who would be here today if only she had found her undies in time!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 14:41   #88

hmmm...... sounds like a game of Clue "it was Ms. Snerd, in the Foc'sle, with the Chief Engineer Manson...."
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 23:51   #89

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
Glad you got a giggle out of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
In no why do I want to come across as rude but in 10-12 knots you shouldn't need an anchor, the chain alone should hold you.

Sorry I just have a little giggle when I see comments like that.
GMac,
I am happy that you found my message humourous. Like you, I don't think 10 or so knots to be a "big deal". My attempt was to point out a situation where I was forced (by the location (Pendrell Sound) and water depth throughout the whole sound) to anchor on what I consider an extremely short scope (about 3 to 1), with a stern tie where my stern ended up about 50 feet from the shore (still in about 30 feet of water). There was not alot of room for dragging! To avoid this situation, we would have to leave Pendrell Sound and go to another area. If expected winds were above 15 knots, I wouldn't have felt comfortable in this situation. Other boats near my location that night did drag so maybe my ground tackle did it's job. I almost didn't include this example, but I did feel that the info may have been worthwhile.

I don't mind your giggle, but I felt it worthwhile to better explain what I was trying to say.
Thanks,
Tom
P.S. Dockhead, Sorry to hear about the death associated with using the "wrong" anchor.
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 00:53   #90
Marine Service Provider

Tom, it wasn't a giggle at you specifically more just your comment, which I may add is far from the 1st like that. It just so happened that I saw 3 all saying similar within a hour or so. Hence the humour lever was being pushed quite firmly and then saw your 10-12 and it all got away on this simple chap and he had to drop that post. I hope I didn't offend you, it definitely wasn't the intention.

It didn't help reading some of the other posts here, a few contain info that is just so wrong they also helped push the lever.

Anchor threads are always good for a laugh and I dread the day we are all using the same 'The Sonic Beam Bottom Grabber 2000XLS'. We'll have lost a great subject to scrap and laugh about

Keep safe Tom
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna