Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2009, 08:19   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
the difference between a rocna 15 and a rocna 20 is about 12 pounds. How could that much weight make ANY noticable difference on a 13000 pound boat? Or even a 9000 pound one? Or to a properly sized windlass? Sure, it is silly to get a bigger anchor than you need but if you are anchoring out in places where you might get caught in a gale or microburst then why not go a size bigger to be on the safe side?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:23   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
the difference between a rocna 15 and a rocna 20 is about 12 pounds. How could that much weight make ANY noticable difference on a 13000 pound boat? Or even a 9000 pound one? Or to a properly sized windlass? Sure, it is silly to get a bigger anchor than you need but if you are anchoring out in places where you might get caught in a gale or microburst then why not go a size bigger to be on the safe side?

Don't know really.

There is a big price jump.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:58   #18
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
a mixed review

my 25kg Rocna arrived with a bent bail. Click on the photo and you'll be able to see it in the photo below. Didn't think much of it until I heard that some anchors were being manufactured in China. Checked the label, however, and this one was made in Canada.

Other than cosmetics, it works better than any anchor I've had yet. (Past primaries have included danforth, bruce, delta and guardian.) But my experience makes me think that quality control at Rocna isn't what you'd expect it to be given the price of the anchors. Regardless, I've only had it since November, and it hasn't yet had to stand up to much of a blow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rocna.JPG
Views:	482
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	7779  
Old 13-04-2009, 02:43   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
the difference between a rocna 15 and a rocna 20 is about 12 pounds. How could that much weight make ANY noticable difference on a 13000 pound boat? ...
I think the difference in buried surface area is more significant than the weight differences.
Of course, more area (desired feature) results in more weight (consequence).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 04:50   #20
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Surface area / weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I think the difference in buried surface area is more significant than the weight differences.
Of course, more area (desired feature) results in more weight (consequence).
Rocna 15 kg = 1030 sq cm
Rocna 20 kg = 1140 sq cm

The difference is not that important... about 10%

It is also interesting to compare with:

Spade 15 kg = 800 sq cm
Spade 20kg = 1000 sq cm

Raya 12,5 kg = 995 sq cm
Raya 18 kg = 1301 sq cm
Raya 22,5 kg = 1607 sq cm

It would be more interesting to classified anchors by blade surface area than by overall weight...

João
Old 13-04-2009, 06:56   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Size choice

Actually, the Rocna 15 is one size up from the recomendation for a 13000lb 33 ft monohull.
I would say that if you are comfortable getting the next size larger... go for it. If it makes the difference between laying awake worrying at anchor or getting a good nights sleep, get the bigger anchor by all means.
There is an old saying... "When your anchor is so large that people on the dock laugh, that's the right size for cruising!"
I am entirely confident in the Rocna15 with 150 feet of chain and a good length of 5/8 three strand.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 07:56   #22

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
actually I was referring to the weight budget for the boat - i.e. would it make a difference to the sailing qualities of the boat to have 12 lbs. more up front. Its hard to see how that would make any difference you could notice. And besides, if it bothers you to have that much more weight you can always subtract 12 ft. from your chain (if you have all chain)
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 08:32   #23
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
one way the Rocna saves weight...

...is by eliminating the need for an alternative type of anchor. I used to carry both a Bruce and a Delta because I needed different hooks to make up for the weaknesses of either anchor as a primary. The Bruce performed poorly in grass or kelp, the Delta performed poorly in mud. Plus, then, I'd carry a Fortress to use as a stern anchor, et cetera. Now I just carry the Rocna and a Fortress. That's less weight by one whole anchor, and I feel more comfortable with the two anchor combo than I ever did with the three. And, best of all, the Rocna doesn't seem to have a weakness, other than for the fact that I just don't anchor in rock.
Old 13-04-2009, 12:45   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Turns out mine is made in Canada.
I think you are lucky to have one made in Canada. I'm sooo done with products from China. I understand that the Manson Supreme is locally made. I'm going to look into one of those since they are less expensive and locally made. Glad to here your choice is working out for you...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 13:28   #25

Boat: Trismus 37
The Manson Supreme is made in NZ along with the rest of the manson range, I'm not aware that they are made elsewhere.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2009, 21:37   #26

We got a boat show deal from West Marine on a 33kg(73lb) Rocna for our 22,000lb Caliber 40. We've set it exactly zero times since installing it on the bow so I can't contribute much feedback there. I can tell you that people in the marina point and laugh at the size of the anchor compared to the boat it's on.

Which is exactly the confirmation I was looking for that we got the right size.
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 12:22   #27
NDH

Boat: Dufour 40
Question

Just picked up on this thread as I have been considering a Rocna, I note the references to places of manufacture, Is there a problem with the ones made in China?
NDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 21:50   #28

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
We just bought a Rocna 33 for our 40' cat. Rocna said the 25 kg would be adequate but I've never met a cruiser who wished they had a smaller anchor!!!
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 21:58   #29

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDH View Post
Just picked up on this thread as I have been considering a Rocna, I note the references to places of manufacture, Is there a problem with the ones made in China?
There seems to be a great deal of confusion about 'Made in China'.

The problems occur with the knock-offs made in China. They look like a brand name item but they're fabricated with lousy materials and no quality control. You'd have the same problems with pirated designs made anywhere.

On the other hand, if it's made OEM 'under license' it should be fine. The company will ensure the quality of materials and fabrication and that's really what you're paying a premium for.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 06:43   #30

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by janders View Post
We got a boat show deal from West Marine on a 33kg(73lb) Rocna for our 22,000lb Caliber 40. We've set it exactly zero times since installing it on the bow so I can't contribute much feedback there. I can tell you that people in the marina point and laugh at the size of the anchor compared to the boat it's on.

Which is exactly the confirmation I was looking for that we got the right size.
I'm looking at getting a Rocna for my Corbin 39 and am waffling between a 25kg and a 33kg. My boat will be about 25,000 lbs. loaded. It has a bowsprit and I'm know sure how it will fit.
  • Any comments?
  • How did you arrive at the 33kg vs 25kg?
  • What did your 33kg cost you? (perhaps PM?)
  • Do you have any pictures of it on your boat?
  • Would you be willing to post one?
Any answers to these questions, may be a big help to me.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna