Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2010, 18:12   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
The Raya Experience

Don't want to hijack another thread. I see that some people have bought Raya's, I'd really like to hear their experience as there doesn't seem to be any professional reviews. I'm interested in hearing any opinion at all, but if you've also seen it hold next to a Rocna, that would be of special interest.

Thank you!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2010, 18:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Wanted to try the Raya but when I emailed them last year learned they had no US distributor and would cost over $200 to ship one. Ended up with a Rocna. If they do get US distribution sorted out think I will try one.

So has anyone found a US source?

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2010, 06:07   #3

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik
Raya shipping

I am also very interested in the Raya. As I understand it, there is, as yet, no US supplier. Yes, shipping is expensive - on the other hand, once they have a US supplier, the price of the anchor will no doubt go up, maybe as much as the shipping costs?
Old 25-02-2010, 18:10   #4

Boat: Sabre 28
Anchor Latina sells direct to the US right now. My Raya 800 arrived a couple of days ago but my boat won't be in the water for a few months so I can't say anything about its holding yet.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 08:25   #5

Boat: ROGUE 26' 8K# schooner. Drft 1'/6'. Phil Bolger hull offsets. All details and building: me.
response to nitpik and others considering the Raya

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post422243

scroll down to my post
Raya, Oceane, Sword anchors are not similar to Rocna
Eric ROGUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2010, 14:31   #6

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
not to hijack any threads... of course.....
Old 21-03-2010, 15:18   #7
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
I guessun we're all gonna get that new Religun, soona or lateah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric ROGUE View Post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post422243

scroll down to my post
Raya, Oceane, Sword anchors are not similar to Rocna
Old 22-03-2010, 16:29   #8

Boat: ROGUE 26' 8K# schooner. Drft 1'/6'. Phil Bolger hull offsets. All details and building: me.
Apologies

Nitpik had posted nearly identically to both threads. I debated which thread was appropriate to post to since the posting on one had become mixed and mine might mix this one. I chose to make a minimal, redirecting post here, but it didn't save space, and still mixed this thread, my two reasons for not copying and pasting.

Having been appropriately chastised (above posts) I now realise the only part of my Rocna post that I needed to post here is quoted below.

I do hope people who own Raya's, (Oceane's and Swords) post their experiences. I would very much like to know how they perform in various conditions, especially the Raya. The Raya's differences with the Oceane/Sword may be significant, just as slight differences in claw type anchors make huge differences in performance (so I am lead to believe anyway). More independent test results would be very welcome. There is no perfect anchor yet. I made my choice for a new primary anchor knowing and accepting the limitations of my choice.

Sailors interested in the Raya may not share my concerns, but I wanted to make them known so they could be part of someone's thinking who was contemplating purchasing a Raya. I was not trying to hijack this thread.

The Raya anchor I was speaking of is pictured at the top of the manufacturer's website Page d'accueil That website's test and testimonial pages are under construction. When I visited the site earlier there were no independent tests, nor to my recollection any testimonials not of the manufacturer's own, ie. no independent testimonials well enough independent testing. The Raya was under MY ACTIVE CONSIDERATION until I reluctantly gave up on it because of lack of independent information. I REALLY wanted the manufacturer's claims to be true. The anchor would be so much easier to handle on my boat, and so much better an anchor than the one I chose to buy! As soon as independent testing and sailor experience confirm the manufacturer's claims I will buy one.

Eric

"Look at pictures of the Spade Sword anchor and its predecessor the Oceane. New Generation Anchors - Explained, Compared and Rated - (but ignore the prejudiced sales hype rating the various anchors) To my eyes the Raya appears very similar to these anchors, but only in the most general terms in any way similar to the Rocna and Manson Supreme.

I had a chance to buy an Oceane of about 22lbs for less than $100 and I passed it up because I did not want to have an anchor with such inconsistent independent test results as the Oceane has. I have not seen independent testing of the Sword or Raya, and I have done a thorough job of looking for it. Nor have I seen many reports by sailors with any experience using these anchors and none with extensive experience using this type."
Eric ROGUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, raya, rocna