Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2007, 06:32   #1
cruiser

The New Shackles at West Marine

Has anyone gone and bought the new shackles from West Marine yet?

I just picked up a 1/2" shackle to fit my anchor rode and frankly, I'm frightened. The amount of metal is far less than the metal that my original shackle had. It's much thinner in areas such as:

*the threads/loops that hold the pin in place
*the straight areas between those "loops" that hold the pin and the main, large arcing section directly across from the pin

The pin itself seems to be of a similar size.

The shackle is made in China and seems to have that very poor quality metal I found in my chinese genset, chinese meat grinder, etc...

I wonder where the voids are in this thing?

Frankly, I'm scared to death to bet everything I own in my entire life on this little piece of junk.

This is a SeaFit shackle, West Marine's 1/2" galvanized model. My last shackle was made in Italy and was made of some absolutly beautiful, high carbon steel. When I cut it with the angle grinder, it was a nice, deep blue in side. Pity I had to cut it at all. The pin was frozen in.

I paid $7 for this new one. I'd gladly pay $50 for a real one, but West Marine only carries this garbage.
Does anyone know where I can find one made of quality metal? Are there suppliers of marine hardware out there that make higher quality hardware that people have used and like?

Thanks for any info. I'm going to bet the farm on this shackle only for our trip up North. After that... I need to order a real shackle.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 06:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can find one made of quality metal? Are there suppliers of marine hardware out there that make higher quality hardware that people have used and like?
Winchard is known for some of the very best. Try an on line marine supply dealer.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 07:37   #3
Eternal Member

Sean,

The shackles from WM are junk. They don't carry good ones.

What you want are alloy shackles from either Columbus McKinnon (CM) or Crosby. They aren't cheap, but they can be had online at reasonable prices.

I bought a bunch of them recently for myself and several friends. Mine came from:

Construction and Rigging Supply, Inc.
805-647-4792

1555 Los Angeles Av
Ventura CA 93004

There are lots of other distributors. Just Google for them.

Re: prices, be wary of store prices. Fawcetts in Annapolis wants $35 for a shackle I paid $18 for online.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 11:17   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors
Sean,

The shackles from WM are junk. They don't carry good ones.

What you want are alloy shackles from either Columbus McKinnon (CM) or Crosby. They aren't cheap, but they can be had online at reasonable prices.
DITTO!

Just buy American made stuff, it's to code!! Any well-known industrial rigging supplier should carry them.

One should take one of those chinese clones to a rigger and have it tested and see what it really holds. It should hold 4 - 6 times it’s rating.

WM is just like every other greedy business out there, paying cheap for supplies and passing them off as good stuff at their going rate, maybe just a little under to attract the retentive anal.

I believe this was addressed in another thread....................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 12:01   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey
WM is just like every other greedy business out there, paying cheap for supplies and passing them off as good stuff at their going rate, maybe just a little under to attract the retentive anal.)
Oh no... did all my p*ssing and moaning about corporate America sway you?

Thanks for the sources, guys. I see some nice high-carbon steel shackles at these places. I don't think I could have slept at anchor with that West Marine shackle.
Old 29-03-2007, 14:03   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan
Oh no... did all my p*ssing and moaning about corporate America sway you?
There is an old saying that "I" try to live by:

"People should be loved and things should be used, NOT the other way around!"

Businesses should be used to provide a service/product. And if that service is done properly it should provide for the one manageing it...................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 14:44   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I bought my Crosbys fron Defender.
Old 29-03-2007, 17:02   #8

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Worst Marine has gone so far down hill they should be a source of last resort. The store inventory is terrible and the quality of products unless well known names should always be suspect. Many online sources are a much better source IMO.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 17:16   #9

Boat: Angela M. Bayfield 32c
I'll also second the "Crosby's" they have a painted shackle pin meaning they have been load tested. I just bought two 1/2 at under 9 bucks a piece.
Bill,
billangiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2007, 17:23   #10
cruiser

Agreed about Worst Marine.

I didn't even see it happen. It really kicked in this fall. I went into the store and couldn't find anything I wanted in stock. I asked them to order me the part, and they wanted me to pay ahead of time, which was a first at WM for me.

Also, I did see the quality drop in a lot of areas. Agreed.

I ended up getting a Crosby shackle and the anchor light that is just plain missing from my masthead. We had a lot of falcons and other birds of prey hanging out up there making a lot of noise last year, so I'm wondering if they had anything to do with it.

Thanks again, guys. The pointers to the places were very helpful. I was able to compare the safe working loads and all.
Old 30-03-2007, 13:00   #11

Boat: NONE yet
Isn't that the way it is pretty much everywhere anymore subpar crap for more than you used to pay for the GOOD stuff.

I see this more and more.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 15:09   #12

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
So true - that also includes the level of competance from many repair/service technicians who many times miss something when repairing equipment, don't do it right or just don't care to do a good job - they still get paid well though and we get charged alot for inferior work.

That's why I try to do most all my own repairs and instalations and why this forum is so great as there are so many knowledgeable members who are willing to help with their advice.

Hats off to all of you
Old 30-03-2007, 15:28   #13
cruiser

I just read a British Magazine with shackle and swivel tests in it. The differences in strength were huge The key seems to be a pin thats much thicker than the shackle. Otherwise the pin bends and the threaded end pulls out. Lots of meat aroubnd the pin at the treaded end and the other end makes a huge difference.Buy your shackles from industrial supplies rather than marine stores, preferably ones with SWL stamped on them.The ones with the coloured pins were the best. Wichards were not the best.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 16:17   #14

Boat: NONE yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny
So true - that also includes the level of competance from many repair/service technicians who many times miss something when repairing equipment, don't do it right or just don't care to do a good job - they still get paid well though and we get charged alot for inferior work.

That's why I try to do most all my own repairs and instalations and why this forum is so great as there are so many knowledgeable members who are willing to help with their advice.
This is true as well, I do a lot of rebuilding of old machinery for my Father -n-law cause the stuff that you can buy today just does not last and are made of crap/like crap. My father-n-law has a saying for something that is made of substandard material and made in China "Ching-shin".

If its crap its Ching-shin!
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2007, 16:47   #15

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Guys,
First things first, in my book, Wichard makes the best stainless anywhere ... proud to have it on my boat, but no stainless (regardless of manufacture) below the water.
Have been working for Worst Marine here in Marathon for the last 4 or 5 weeks ... and it has been an eye opener. This is a very profitable store ... no thanks to the West organization ... but due to Sean, a young, but knowledgable manager. We're probably better stocked than 99% of the West stores ... and Sean works day & night to try & make it better. Having said that, I have to say that the pricing of items (we're talking corporate now) apalls me. When I worked at the Marine Trading Post (North Fort Myers ....Marine Trading Post Affordable Parts and Accessories) we worked around a 40% profit margin, and were doing well. Worst has many, many items at 300-400% margin ... and they're loosing money!?!?! I haven't seen this first hand, but have been told that in a year when Worst lost $200 million ... they paid out over $200 million in "bonuses". Gee ... what's wrong with this picture?
Kissing off Worst this week ... headed to the Abacos around the 21st .........
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote