Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 21:55   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Swivels and twist.

On my previous boats I've always had a good quality (expensive) swivel. I know some don't like them but personally I've never had a issue with them, they were set up well and worked. I don't see them as a potential weak link.

On my current boat I don't have one. For the first time I'm getting lots of chain twist. The chain twist is a problem.

Now I'm assuming most don't have swivels, do you all have alot of twist in your chain? How do you manage it?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 22:04   #2

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Re: Swivels and twist.

Groove the rollers.
Logic says then it drops straight and retrieves straight and there is only one way it can go through the chain wheel.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 22:13   #3

Hi Simi 60, I'm not concerned about which way the anchor comes up my issue is how much the chain twists.

The chain dosent run through the windlass well when twisted, see below.

I had the same maxwell windlass on my last boat, the only difference in this setup is no swivel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15217818972560.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	166845  
Old 22-03-2018, 22:43   #4

Let out al the chain and straighten.
If the chain is straight to start with, runs through the chainwheel straight and through the rollers straight and the same in reverse where is the twist?

We ditched our swivel 2 years ago and anchor 365 days a year for two years and never have twist issues worth mentioning.
Old 22-03-2018, 22:45   #5

Or undo it at the bitter end and let the twist out.
Reattach with rope.
Old 22-03-2018, 22:47   #6

The twist is all in the anchor locker.

Yes, this is why I'm surprised, I can't imagine all without swivels put up with this amount of twist.

I also anchor full time.
Old 22-03-2018, 23:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post

Yes, this is why I'm surprised, I can't imagine all without swivels put up with this amount of twist.

I dont.
I followed the steps above.
Old 23-03-2018, 04:34   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Groove the rollers.
Logic says then it drops straight and retrieves straight and there is only one way it can go through the chain wheel.
This was also my opinion. However on a large sailing boat with 16mm chain onto a horizontal windlass, I saw that this is not true and that sometimes the chain manages to twist itself as it returns to the gypsy. It seemed to be caused by the amount that the chain oscillated between the roller and gypsy.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:56   #9
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

No swivel, no twist. When the anchor comes up, the twists spin out. They can't go into the locker because the chain cannot twist in the windlass gypsy.

How is the twist getting past the gypsy (is it jumping)? Is this a horizontal windlass problem?
Old 23-03-2018, 07:17   #10

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Find some deep water, lower anchor and ALL the chain. Anchor should still be free hanging. Pull everything in, no more twist. Voilà!
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 07:32   #11

We used to get terrible chain twist in the locker. This happened every time. We tried everything, let all the chain out in deep water etc, installed swivels etc, at the end of the day I think it was where sections of the chain had rusted so that the links were no longer the right dimension to go through the gypsy properly and it would slip and let the chain twist inside the locker. We bought new chain, not a problem since.

You could try end for end reversal of the chain and see if that works until that section is worn out if not already done so. Your gypsy teeth may also be too worn.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 08:11   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

I'm with Thin here. Do watch the chain on the way out as its usually faster, unloaded and your eye doesn't catch it.
I've had the rope bitter end bunch up so it won't come on deck thru chain hawse, defeats that whole purpose.
I started installing Crosby properly rated galvanized inexpensive swivels inside at the bitter end, solved that problem.
Chris
Old 23-03-2018, 08:35   #13

Boat: Outbound 44

I really don't understand how the chain locker side twists get in there. They just do on some setups. I added a large Mantus swivel. Good quality, bullet proof design, decent price. If you get the large size, make sure it will fit your bow roller. It did reduce twisting issues - not eliminate them.
Old 23-03-2018, 09:09   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50 'Rogue'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Find some deep water, lower anchor and ALL the chain. Anchor should still be free hanging. Pull everything in, no more twist. Voilà!
Be very carefull doing this, its likely to burn out your winch. There is a lot of weight in chain....
If i did that i would expect my winch to be pulling close to half a ton for an extended period.

As mentioned previously I don't see how a swivel can help you, the twisting is not between the anchor and the winch?
I wonder if it is due to the chain stacking then dropping/rolling down the side of the stack?
You might find that the last part of the chain is twisted the other way to cancel it out.
If you can get all the chain out(in normal anchoring depth) then pack the first half in nice and evenly in the bottom of the locker then the problem might go away.
I always have to do that if i put more than 40m out otherwise it stacks badly and causes issues. I have 100m of 1/2inch chain so the first 60m needs to be packed nicely in the bottom.
B00B00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 09:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
No swivel, no twist. When the anchor comes up, the twists spin out. They can't go into the locker because the chain cannot twist in the windlass gypsy.

How is the twist getting past the gypsy (is it jumping)? Is this a horizontal windlass problem?
Hi, chain dosent jump of windlass, it's a good fit and gypsy is in good condition. It's a vertical windlass, I don't think you'd get the twist with a horizontal one.