Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2018, 08:06   #31
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Switch chain or separate rode when switching anchors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
... The other technique that can help with a soft substrate is applying the setting force slowly. Pausing, and allowing the substrate to consolidate, if possible, can also help. New generation anchors normally set so easily these techniques are not needed, but with very soft soupy mud some finesse is helpful even if using an anchor optimised for a very soft substrate.

This should be better known. It has been Chesapeake lore for generations.

Anchor tests are based on a slow, steady pull, but if the anchor is allowed to rest between lighter pulls for hours or even 20 minutes, the anchor sets deeper, in less distance, and stronger. Get a light set right away, but spend a little time tidying up the boat and such before power setting. The improvement can be more than double, depending on the anchor size (most helpful with smaller anchors) and bottom material (sand is much less).

Conversely, rapid pulses, like hobby horsing or yawing, liquefy the mud. Get the boat to hold still.

I did a bunch of testing.
Old 31-08-2018, 19:22   #32

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)

After the great feedback here, and some very compelling stories from captstu, I think I’m going with an FX-85 stowed in my locker with a short chain. On my bow I’ll have my 100lb spade plus a 65 lb old delta (later I will upgrade to a different oversized modern anchor with more fluke for better mud holding, so I can bohemian as well) with 400 ft 1” 8-plait and 50 1/2 chain. That will be my backup if I have to let the spade go, but will daisy chain the fortress on the spade when in anger. Then a small (undersized FX-37) on stern with a dynema (50 ft) plus low stretch (poly) solely for kedging if I go aground (no chain, lightweight to dinghy/swim). If need to med moor or set stern anchor (rare) I’ll use the 1” rode stored at the bow moving it to the stern and put on the larger fortress (if anchoring).

Feels like a good balance of weight, security and options. Any/all feedback very welcome!!
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 13:09   #33

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 523 (2005)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine50 View Post
I seem to remember Fortress recommended not using much chain as the anchor doesn't get a chance to "set" before the chain drags on the bottom.
You may want to research this possibility.--
Major Fortress customer service #FAIL!

Earlier I had said I was going to contact Fortress to understand this in more detail, if they have not just minimum recommendations (6 feet per 25 depth) but also maximum. So I filled out their web site form, and waited over a week. No response. Then I sent a PM to the FortressAnchors user (edit: I attempted to PM user Fortress, not FortressAnchors) (who used to be very active, but not much this year) and waited another week. Then I found their email address, and send a message to them. Again no response. Finally I called, talked to a nice woman who could only take a message and promised a return call, and again, after weeks... nothing. Zero. Four different attempts on four different channels, over a month of patiently waiting and trying. Nothing. Silence.

Needless to say, they did not get my business for the big storm anchor.
Unity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 13:27   #34
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unity View Post
Major Fortress customer service #FAIL!

Earlier I had said I was going to contact Fortress to understand this in more detail, if they have not just minimum recommendations (6 feet per 25 depth) but also maximum. So I filled out their web site form, and waited over a week. No response. Then I sent a PM to the FortressAnchors user (edit: I attempted to PM user Fortress, not FortressAnchors) (who used to be very active, but not much this year) and waited another week. Then I found their email address, and send a message to them. Again no response. Finally I called, talked to a nice woman who could only take a message and promised a return call, and again, after weeks... nothing. Zero. Four different attempts on four different channels, over a month of patiently waiting and trying. Nothing. Silence.

Needless to say, they did not get my business for the big storm anchor.

Sorry to hear about your frustrating experience Unity. My I suggest that you call Maxwell anchoring systems guru Will Vrooman (+1 714 227 3832) and discuss your situation with him - he'll respond immediately, whether you buy from us or not. Allow for Will being based in California and therefore on U.S. Pacific Time.

I hope this helps
John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Boat Equipment
jmardall@comcast.net
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rode