Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 12:52   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,399
Images: 115
Wait, what kind of windlass did ya order..?

The Sea Tiger is out of production. Muir makes a copy that looks good but ain't worth a damn. I bought one and mounted on my boat but the chain slipped off the gypsy (Yes correct size gypsy for the chain in case somebody thought it never occured to me to check)

I took the Muir off, gave it back to the dealer and ordered a brand new Sea Tiger instead.

Had a used Sea Tiger before that episode that I took apart and overhauled, but I put too much grease into it and after a while some little spring got stuck or some such thing. I sold it for $500.00 to a guy that regreased it. I got tired of taking the thing apart so instead of trying to fix mine, or buy another used one I put a brand new 555 on the boat.

That being said, if yer anchor is 35 lbs or less, ya may not need a windlass.
I sailed for years without one.
The reason I put a windlass on the boat in the first place was that I went to all chain rode and a 55 lbs anchor.
__________________

__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:54   #17
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Yeah, I think you see now how I am in a bit of a rush!

It's her vacation from the freezing snow of Maine to the FL Keys. She's not at all demanding and will "use the facilities" over the leward rail if need be, pour water out of jugs (instead of having plumbing), and that kind of stuff.

But... I'd like to make it a nice break in the sunshine for her. No woodstoves to tend and just a nice time.

That's why there's a hint of urgency in my posts. ha ha
__________________

__________________
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 12:57   #18
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Wait, what kind of windlass did ya order..?

The Sea Tiger is out of production. Muir makes a copy that looks good but ain't worth a damn. I bought one and mounted on my boat but the chain slipped off the gypsy (Yes correct size gypsy for the chain in case somebody thought it never occured to me to check)

I took the Muir off, gave it back to the dealer and ordered a brand new Sea Tiger instead.

Had a used Sea Tiger before that episode that I took apart and overhauled, but I put too much grease into it and after a while some little spring got stuck or some such thing. I sold it for $500.00 to a guy that regreased it. I got tired of taking the thing apart so instead of trying to fix mine, or buy another used one I put a brand new 555 on the boat.

That being said, if yer anchor is 35 lbs or less, ya may not need a windlass.
I sailed for years without one.
The reason I put a windlass on the boat in the first place was that I went to all chain rode and a 55 lbs anchor.
I got the Royal manual windlass. Wasn't a tough choice, it's the only one made these days, except some fancy ornamental brass one made here in FL somewhere. More for "yachts" than boats.

I do need the windlass for 55lbs Delta and a bunch of 3/8" BBB chain. Once you start anchoring anywhere deep with that, you have 55lbs of anchor plus all of that chain to pull up off the bottom. Can be pretty tough. Plus, the wife is the anchor tender. She doesn't like being at the helm for anchor retrieval and enjoys the workout of a manual windlass.
__________________
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:01   #19
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
I know a fella that seems to be extremely knowledgable in where, and who to get things done in Miami, and Lauderdale....PM me if you want to call me. I will see him tonight........John
__________________
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:04   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: FL
Boat: Far East Mariner 40
Posts: 652
CYS, the only thing left to do on my 555 rebuild is to fill it with grease, how much did you put in. I certainly dont want to have an issue after the time and money I put into rebuilding the darn thing...
__________________
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:09   #21
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I know a fella that seems to be extremely knowledgable in where, and who to get things done in Miami, and Lauderdale....PM me if you want to call me. I will see him tonight........John
Thanks, John.

I just might take you up on that.

One more problem I am having is #^@&ing propane. You may not have been on the forum yet but there were many times I had complained on here about hating propane and wishing I could take my Galley Maid alcohol stove to my next boat.

Well... my hate for the "devil gas" is as strong as ever.

I spent 3-4 hours today trying to get some propane. MAN does propane suck.

First, the place to fill up is 1/2 hour away.
Second, when I got there, they said, "we can't fill those tanks!" No OPD.
Third, they sent me to Amerigas, which is another 1/2 hour away to get OPDs put on.
Fourth, Amerigas can get my OPD's on, no problem... maybe in the next 2 weeks!!!!

NOW does everyone see why propane sucks @ss??

It's impossible to deal with from a boat. Without a rental car, there would have been no way for me to even come as close as I did to getting my tanks almost filled.

I have very little propane left and have some major time (months) at anchor coming up.

So... if your guy has any connections to anyone near South Miami or Key Largo that can either fill non-OPD tanks, or get OPDs put on existing tanks, please do give a shout on PM.

I just cleared out the inbox.
__________________
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:20   #22
Registered User
 
SeaKing's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Shady Side, MD
Boat: Voyage 470 "SeaPaws II"
Posts: 509
can you fit a regular "gasgrill" style/size bottle in your propane locker. I had to have a valve changed on a small aluminum tank last year for the boat I sold. Never used the propane on the boat. It was for water heat only and the boat had a non pressurized alcohol 2 burner stove that I hated filling the "burners". Our boat now uses 2 tanks that I can exchange at home depot, wal mart, etc. I know it is a PITA to get propane filled even living ashore with a vehicle.

When do you plan to head north and will you come thru the Chesapeake
__________________
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:23   #23
Registered User
 
caribnsol's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norfolk Va
Boat: Westerly Falcon 34
Posts: 148
for a temp fix you can get an adapter and a few 1lb bottles, better than nothing.
__________________
caribnsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:46   #24
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,399
Images: 115
Quote:
CYS, the only thing left to do on my 555 rebuild is to fill it with grease, how much did you put in. I certainly dont want to have an issue after the time and money I put into rebuilding the darn thing...
Well, I pretty much packed a whole jar of grease in there.
Make sure ya use Salt Water Resistant Wheel Bearing Grease.
The tech guy on the phone told me about that kind of grease. They sell it
at Ace hardware for a few bucks..I think it was yellow or green in color.

Also, ya need to use light oil on some of the parts before ya apply the grease.

I guess the solution would be to keep grease away from the little tinny parts, such as the springs.

Good luck
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:48   #25
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,399
Images: 115
Quote:
So... if your guy has any connections to anyone near South Miami or Key Largo that can either fill non-OPD tanks, or get OPDs put on existing tanks, please do give a shout on PM.
Well, if ya drive North to Fl. Lauderdale, my gas-place will do it while-u-wait. It was painless...
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 13:58   #26
Eternal Member
 
imagine2frolic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Las Brisas Panama AGAIN!
Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Posts: 4,508
Images: 123
Right around the corner from Sailorman is a gas place?
__________________
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:08   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2007
Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Posts: 808
Images: 17
Quote:
I do need the windlass for 55lbs Delta and a bunch of 3/8" BBB chain. Once you start anchoring anywhere deep with that, you have 55lbs of anchor plus all of that chain to pull up off the bottom. Can be pretty tough. Plus, the wife is the anchor tender. She doesn't like being at the helm for anchor retrieval and enjoys the workout of a manual windlass.
Damn! Sean you are a lucky man.
Plus

Quote:
She's not at all demanding and will "use the facilities" over the leward rail if need be, pour water out of jugs (instead of having plumbing), and that kind of stuff.
It sounds like you are a lucky man !
__________________
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:10   #28
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post


Given that the parts are in Scotland

.

Simpson-Larence “SEATIGER” 555 Windlass Manual:
http://en.lewmar.com/support/PDF/S-L...er-D1031-1.pdf

At the bottom is a Jay Stuart-Haft Co. in Bradenton, FL.
No parts there?
__________________
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 14:58   #29
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.
 
CSY Man's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Posts: 3,399
Images: 115
Quote:
Right around the corner from Sailorman is a gas place?
Nah, that gas place is bad and boycotted by some of us as they doubled their prices after the last big hurricane when power was out and everbody came in to get propane gas..Screw 'em.

The other gas place is on Federal Highway across from Kinko's and close to Sears. Boyld or Boyd gas, they are good and have always been helpful.
__________________
Life is sexually transmitted
www.odincharters.com
www.susanhanssen.com
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 15:06   #30
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Nah, that gas place is bad and boycotted by some of us as they doubled their prices after the last big hurricane when power was out and everbody came in to get propane gas..Screw 'em.

The other gas place is on Federal Highway across from Kinko's and close to Sears. Boyld or Boyd gas, they are good and have always been helpful.
Ahhh... if only I knew ahead of time there was a place up there that filled non OPD gas cylinders. I could have done that up there.

Well, maybe I can try them when I go back up past FLL on the way home. Will need a rental car again just to fill propane if I go with that plan.
What a PITA propane is. Unreal.
__________________

__________________
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windlass on a Sigma 36 Marco Construction, Maintenance & Refit 6 31-08-2011 16:05
Sully's battery problem Alan Wheeler Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 59 01-03-2008 00:38
Windlass captden Anchoring & Mooring 9 28-02-2008 18:21
Windlass help requested bottleinamessage Anchoring & Mooring 3 30-11-2007 17:05



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.