Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2006, 21:56   #1

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser
Suggestion for American Distribution of Rocna

I know a common complaint you hear Craig is that there is no American distributor of Rocna; and this is a legitimate complaint since many don't want to be hassled by purchasing something that has to go over the border. However, you don't need an American distributor.

Business is kind of like politics, reality isn't important, perception of reality is everything. Many Canadians have an American address for the American distribution. For example, a town that is literary right on the boarder with Greater Vancouver is Blaine. A number of Canadian businesses run their business with an American address which is out of Blaine. Your Canadian distributor should be doing the same thing, running an American address so that those who are reluctant to purchase from Canada can think they are purchasing from an American distributor. If you look at Walker Bay Boats (dingies) you'll see an American address, but if you look at the area codes of the telephone number to contact them, it is 604 - which is Vancouver.

Tell your Canadian distributor to run his business with an American address and he will get more sales, and thus you will get more sales.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 03:31   #2

Boat: C&C 27
Good point. I'm looking for the final anchor in my arsenal and have given the latest generation consideration. But I do not intend to choose an anchor based only on the adverstising of the manufacturer or independant tests. Having a US distributor with outlets in just three or four major market areas would provide some "touch and feel". Also every time I have purchased hardware from Canada the supplier has asked for my SS# for use on the importation documentation which, if you have ever had your identity stolen in the US, you know is a major 'no no'. I realize that seeding a new market area is expensive and harder to do than to say. But as a comsumer I don't plan to purchase an anchor I have to import and ship across half a continent based solely on what I read on the internet.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:47   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

RSN-
"Tell your Canadian distributor to run his business with an American address " It isn't quite that easy. Having a US address means the company (presumably corporation) must now be registered in the US and licensed in that state. And file US and State tax returns including US sales tax returns, which may be required monthly for a new business. (Nevada being one of the few states with sales tax.)
So there's a lot of paperwork and overhead with "just" becoming a multinational business.

On the other hand it means you can send a truckload of inventory over all at once, clear customs in one shot, and save the customer a bundle on what is now "domestic" shipping...but then you need the warehouse location and some agent to do your shipping, too.

Unless you can piggyback with a creative partner, I can't see the "mail order anchor" business being large enough to even support the cost of the state corporation filing and annual dues & paperwork costs.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59   #4

Well there are many companies doing what I have talked about, it isn't an original idea with me. These companies are not high volume, I will give you a link to one to the "Contact Us" area; you'll see they have a dual address, but 99% of the company is in Surrey BC. This a model railroad company that does some of its own paint jobs on products than flogs them all over - but mostly to the states. You'll see it isn't high end as in the contact us page, you're told to leave a message if no one answers the phone... lol!

http://www.pacific-western-rail.com/contact.php
Old 10-08-2006, 09:13   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

UPS and Fedex are among a number of shippers who will do storage and logistics in the US, I'm not suggesting it can't be done or isn't done. I wonder though...I suspect there's more profit and volume in model RRing than in anchors.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 19:53   #6

As one firmly ensconced in both sailing and model railroading (I moderate a forum on layout design), I would be willing to take a bet on your assumption on profit and volume in RR versus anchors. With some of the larger international compainies like Kato and Atlas... yes you are correct, but the smaller companies, most of them are mom and pop out of the garage routine.
Old 11-08-2006, 00:32   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
UPS and Fedex are among a number of shippers who will do storage and logistics in the US, I'm not suggesting it can't be done or isn't done. I wonder though...I suspect there's more profit and volume in model RRing than in anchors.<G>
Knowing a few anchor makers I can assure you they won't be retiring with Rolls Royces. One actually drives a car that he stole from a wreckers, or it looks that way anyway

I'd be happy saying there is only one anchor maker that makes the big bucks. Mind you they 'make' as many anchors and Nike 'makes' shirts and I make Space Shuttles. Bang em out of china and sell the brand, brands actually, probably the 2 most known in anchors if ya catch my drift

We recently investigated getting some small Bruce 'knock-offs' from a factory which makes them for said big brand. We could retail one size and smile doing it of just under $50. The 'brand name' one from the same factory sells for $190.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:40   #8

The cross border logistics and warehousing is done by many companies large and small and really works quite well. There are companies that group small companies together and run the operation for them. As someone said UPS and FED EX are just two examples. Having that Rocna shipped from New Zealand stopped me dead.

Living here in Washington you get a closer look at this and it's considered normal business.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:10   #9

Alan, the Rocna over here is shipped from Vancouver, BC. What Craig needs to do, is ship the anchor over in two parts (lessens duty in since the anchor is not completed hence less value). Then the two parts are welded together either in the States or here in Canada. Now the anchor would be designated, "made in North America" and get a favourable - "free" - duty.

The problem is that Craig is over in NZ and isn't aware of how duties and border goodies can be manipulated. And his guy over here is asleep at the switch as to his potential for North American business.
Old 11-08-2006, 13:59   #10

Yes that is probably true. However it may cost more to have it welded at North American labor rates than would be saved on the duty for such an inexpesive item. That may make sense for vehicles but probably not for anchors. They do however need to get a better presence in the US.
Old 18-04-2007, 20:16   #11

One solution for Canadian purchasers is to obtain a US address themselves. What are the numbers- something like 75% of Canadians live within 75 miles of the US border? All US border towns have third-party post boxes for rent, and most also have businesses that will accept parcels for pick-up. I use a store in Lynden, Wa, that charges me $2.00 per parcel. When I ordered my Spade anchor, for instance (I could not find a Canadian distributor), I had it delivered to the store in Lynden and drove down to collect it at my leisure. For $2.00 I considered the convenience to be a bargain.
One advantage to doing your own in-person importing (did you know that used boats cross the border for FREE?) is that looking the border guard in the eye and stating "this is for my own personal use" usually saves a lot of money compared to letting the shipping clerks assess your "donation".

Shas
Shas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2007, 21:07   #12
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Good timing on this thread and the last posting:

Tried to find a dealer, or a Rocna anchor withing 1000 NM, but no cigar.

Guess I will stick with the 'ol Delta.

Tags
rocna