Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2017, 19:00   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
Strobe anchor lights

There are more and more of them around. They might well reduce the chance of a night time collision a tiny bit and might well save an amp a day. It's not worth it folks. They bug your neighbours. It's like flogging halyards. Not considerate, so use a normal one please.

I just needed to get that off my chest.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 19:13   #2

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: Strobe anchor lights

I would not consider a flashing anchor light to be anywhere near the same ballpark as a halyard slapping around a mast. If you don't like the flashing light, don't look at it...

You're on an Oyster 66 and people's anchor lights bother you? Oh brother...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 19:18   #3

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
What's your problem?

Are you trying to say because I have a nice boat I have no reason to be bothered by inconsiderate neighbours? There is no logic in that. Or should I be so happy with smugness that nothing gets to me. Jees!
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 19:33   #4

The "flashing anchor light" is the emergency strobe. It is a sign of distress, and shouldn't be used for anything else. Making a sign of distress when you are not in distress is stupid, and illegal in some places.
Old 24-06-2017, 19:40   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

strobes are not anchor lights. they are emergency lights. there is a difference contrary to beliefs of the new breed of alleged sailors.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 19:55   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I haven't seen any in my neighborhood yet, thank God, but I wouldn't be surprised. Those would bug me too! As far as I know the regs haven't changed... strobes are not to be used for anchor lights. 2 mile visibility, all around and "unbroken light." But perhaps the regs are different in your area?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2017-06-24 at 7.50.56 PM.png
Views:	634
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	150590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2017-06-24 at 7.51.13 PM.png
Views:	574
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	150591  

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 22:28   #7

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Personally I consider to wait until the crew with strobe fallen asleep and ram them with dinghy shouting emergency help, empty a couple of expired fire extinquishers in the companion way and leave as fast as came in.. Repeat next night.. They get the hint
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 22:52   #8

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
I would not consider a flashing anchor light to be anywhere near the same ballpark as a halyard slapping around a mast. If you don't like the flashing light, don't look at it...

You are right a flashing light is not in the same ball park as a slapping halyard.

In the US the USCG would laugh if someone complained about a slapping halyard. But if the USCG sees a flashing light they will pull up to your boat and ask what the emergency is. Unless there is a real emergency they will tell you to turn it off and display a anchor light. If you fail to do either one they will ticket you. By law you can not display an emergency light unless there is an emergency. If you tell the USCG if you don't like the flashing light don't look at it they most likely will board your boat and do a safety inspection and may well remove the flashing light from your boat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 23:43   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Strobe anchor lights are not uncommon in some parts of the world. I suspect the main reason is with a battery operated light it enables the use of a reasonably bright light with still acceptable battery life.

LED battery operated strobes like this are cheap and readily available:

They can be annoying, especially the models that flash multiple colours, but personally I think they are preferable to boats that only display dull garden lights. At least the boats displaying strobes can be seen.

However, a legal marine LED anchor light, preferably with additional lighting close to deck level is not expensive these days.

I have used these battery operated strobes attached to the middle of stern lines when anchored and tied to shore (as do many other boats). In these cases the light is at sea level so is less likely to bother other boats. What does the forum think. Acceptable or not?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 01:28   #10

Boat: Cranchi Atlantique 48

Location, location, location.
In parts of Thailand, the sea lights up like a tivoli every night. Around midnight, small fishing boats can come out in their hundreds, all carrying strobe lights. There is every sort of colour flashing all around, from red to green to blue and beyond. Some have actually rigged their boats like Christmas trees with lots of small lights, often flashing in numerous colours. In addition, of course, to the powerful lamps they use to attract the fish.
Zven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 23:42   #11

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Of more concern to me is that a flashing light can be confused with a navigation mark. Given the availability of pwerful low current draw LED lights, there really is not an excuse nowadays. The other problem with flashing and strobe is they are very difficult to estimate how far away or close they are.
We use an LED rechargeable camping lantern hooked on the lazy jacks just above the boom. It also illuminates the cabin top and is in the the line of site for other boaters. At full power it also illuminates the inside of the boat through the deck hatches.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 00:57   #12

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

I think part of the problem is the way they are marketed, often being listed as Anchor/strobe light which might lead some unwary buyer into thinking the strobe function is an option that can be used in lieu of a steady all round light for anchor purposes.
Old 26-06-2017, 01:17   #13

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Folks this is a cruisers forum not a USA sailors forum. Not appropriate in USA waters bout USA citizens, including myself, do not have the right to what's appropriate in the rest of the world. Many countries strobes are the norm and frankly are a lot more viable then normal anchor lights. These are a huge step up on those fishermen in Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia and South Pacific that use cigarette lighters and cell phones as anchor lights shone one when your getting close. I have grown to approve of them.
DocBrauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 01:17   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zven View Post
Location, location, location.
In parts of Thailand, the sea lights up like a tivoli every night. Around midnight, small fishing boats can come out in their hundreds, all carrying strobe lights. There is every sort of colour flashing all around, from red to green to blue and beyond. Some have actually rigged their boats like Christmas trees with lots of small lights, often flashing in numerous colours. In addition, of course, to the powerful lamps they use to attract the fish.
In thailand we use a red and green light on our port and starboard deck area mid ship. To prevent the fisher man that have been drinking from running into us. They seem to mistake anchor lights as stars or they dont look up.
Krabimike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2017, 02:32   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrauer View Post
Folks this is a cruisers forum not a USA sailors forum. Not appropriate in USA waters bout USA citizens, including myself, do not have the right to what's appropriate in the rest of the world. Many countries strobes are the norm and frankly are a lot more viable then normal anchor lights. These are a huge step up on those fishermen in Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia and South Pacific that use cigarette lighters and cell phones as anchor lights shone one when your getting close. I have grown to approve of them.
Ummm.... I'll admit that oft times CF posters are USA centric, so you do have a poiint. However, COLREGS are not US centric, they are worldwide, and they define strobes as an emergency signal. It ill behooves us to advise anyone to light their boat in a way specifically prohibited by COLREGS .

The fact that such lights are in common usage in third world areas does not condone our using them on our cruising boats.

Jim

Tags
anchor