Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 05:32   #1

Boat: Beneteau 35s5
Storm damage

The marinas in the NJ & NY area took a beating from last weeks storm. The biggest problem were the mooring fields. My club in Keyport NJ lost about six boats while Atlantic Highlands NJ lost 15 boats!!!!!!! It was a quiet day on Sunday as the launch took us out to survey our boats with a nearby beach littered with sailboats.

My boat came through with some damage to my bow and toe rail but it could have been much worst. I think if the storm lasted any longer my boat would have broken free also.

Had I been better prepared I would have escaped with no damage at all but being my first year with a sailboat I made a few mistakes.

If anyone has gone through similar experiences, good or bad, it might help others to discuss them here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Storm damage 1.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	259  
Old 09-09-2006, 06:49   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Were you using a snubber on the anchor chain? Kinda looks like you were not and the chain ate up your bow rollers & chocks....
Old 10-09-2006, 05:49   #3

I had a snubber on but it chafed through. I didn't have it protected and the line failed about halfway thorugh the storm. What you see in the photo is what the chain did to the bow.

Unfortunately lessons can be expensive.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:43   #4
cruiser

That's a shame, Geno. Good news is your boat wasn't the one on the beach!

We are in Long Island right now and experienced sustained 40mph with gusts to 55-60mph during Ernesto. We were at anchor, using my trusty 45lb CQR and did not have any adverse effects at all. I even slept through the night without waking. Not trying to sound like we did something right, but I am saying that the CQR anchor is one heck of a trusty anchor. I love it. We have never once dragged with it (knocking on wood), and have seen other boats drag on 7 or 8 occasions.

The storm was certainly a bit stronger than most expected. This was due to the fact that we had Ernesto (low pressure) off the south east shore, while we had a very strong high pressure system centered over Maine. This created a crazy pressure gradient that got these northeast winds going at those levels.

I was a little nervous, but as the CQR held, and my snubber didn't wear through, I was relieved.

Just noticed something: Why isn't that chain routed through your bow roller? That is what ate through your toerail. The chain cannot be routed through the eyelet on the side there. It can only be routed through the bowroller. I think this might be what caused your problem.

I'll snap a photo of my setup for you and post it on this thread. We have identical bow hardware and toe rails. I'll show you my little snubber that could.... ha ha ha. Also, you may consider installing some anti-chafe wherever your snubber goes over the deck. I used simple clear PVC tubing from any hardware store. I use locking plasting ties to affix it to the toe rail (where yours is missing) and route my snubber lines from the cleats, over the anti-chafe, and down to the chain, which is threaded through the bow roller - not the side eyelet.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 05:01   #5

For some reason most of the boats in the mooring field run their chains the same way so I just followed suite. I think when my snubber broke I had too much slack in the chain. Went it let loose with the waves and wind it sort of exploded.

Next season I'm trying the newer polydyne lines all the boats set with two lines faired much better. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-09-2006, 05:55   #6

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
We were on the south shore of Long Island (Gilgo Beach) when the "remnants" of Ernesto came through. If that was a remnant, I'm glad I wasn't in the whole thing. Sean is right, we were caught in a very tight pressure gradient. We clocked high 30's steadily throughout Saturday until around midnight, with gusts to the mid 40's. Our primary anchor is a Delta, and we also put out our Fortress. Much to our surprise, the Delta broke free during the afternoon, but the boat held on the 23 lb. Fortress throughout the night. I believe the kellet on the Delta chain helped keep the boat steady even after it broke loose. We also kept an anchor watch until the winds moderated enough to feel comfortable that our ground tackle would hold during the night.

All in all, no harm was done.
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 11:24   #7
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Harriet

I carry 3 Fortress Anchors and got rid of everything else. They have never failed me.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 17:52   #8

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Wow - I had assumed that the chain ate completely through the roller and ended up in what looked to be an open chock... phew!
Old 11-09-2006, 18:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Yes, the little drepression that could heit square on the nose here. A ft less than Isabelle with an hour to spare on the high tide. I just can't belive how taken we all were by it. Our marrina squeeked by with no damge but with 1.5 ft of water on top off the dock.

A 5/8 dock line chafed about half way through just because i didn't think is was going to amount to anything.

Even a day before this hit I was thinking - not such a big deal. Lucky for me (as Dock Master) I got with the program and got all the boats secured to ride out the tide surge the day before. We have a normal tide of 3ft here but got 6ft instead. High tide came and it never went down til the next high tide. Winds were high (gusts over 60).

These darn derpressions are going to be the death of us yet. 9 inches of rain is enough when you have a drought.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote