Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2016, 17:28   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Stern tie spool for 32' pilothouse Pacific Northwest

Bass, you might want to re-read El Ping's post above. To me, it seems that you are overly worried about breaking strength as well as UV damage. El P's experience with 10 mm (3/8") polypro in Patagonia seems to indicate that such a line is adequate. That is real world experience in an extreme environment...

Jim
Old 17-08-2016, 17:31   #17
DRS

Boat: Lagoon 380

i run a 300 foot spool of 1/2 inch Sampson on my cat. I carry an additional 150 of poly but hate it and it rarely comes out. I actually thought about buying a 600 foot spool of Sampson this season but figured for the price I could tie the occasional knot or two.
I'm sorry I don't use tree protection nor have I seen it being used in the PNW. I've also never seen a tree cut down by a stern line either

PS You need floating line. Sinking line would just be a PITA to deploy and retrieve
Old 17-08-2016, 17:32   #18
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I would have to check what I got - I researched things back then but my two grey cells I have left can't take in new info without dumping old info on the other side Getting old sucks!
I would want to go with floating line as per your earlier comment.
Look at http://www.samsonropecatalogs.com/home/100239.pdf and choose something with a specific gravity of less than 1. Ultra Blue 3 fits that description as an example but I do not know what the going price is for that product. You might also find polypropylene that is specifically UV stabilized
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 17:36   #19
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
I'm sorry I don't use tree protection nor have I seen it being used in the PNW. I've also never seen a tree cut down by a stern line either
A stern line only has to cut through the bark and the next inner layer to kill the tree. It doesn't need to cut into the actual wood at all !
Old 17-08-2016, 17:43   #20

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd1 View Post
I would have to check what I got - I researched things back then but my two grey cells I have left can't take in new info without dumping old info on the other side Getting old sucks!
OK, be careful... don't want you to forget where you live or anything

Quote:
Getting old sucks!
Well, it does beat the alternative...

Quote:
I would want to go with floating line as per your earlier comment.
Look at http://www.samsonropecatalogs.com/home/100239.pdf and choose something with a specific gravity of less than 1. Ultra Blue 3 fits that description as an example but I do not know what the going price is for that product. You might also find polypropylene that is specifically UV stabilized
Thanks... have seen some "UV stabilized" claims thought maybe they were just marketing BS, maybe not...
Old 17-08-2016, 17:56   #21
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by basssears View Post
OK, be careful... don't want you to forget where you live or anything
It's been comitted to 'muscle memory' freeing up the gray cells for more important things

Quote:
Thanks... have seen some "UV stabilized" claims thought maybe they were just marketing BS, maybe not...
I don't think it's BS if you are talking brand name product ... if you are buying rope at Walmart then you are gambling
Old 17-08-2016, 18:06   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not sure quite what conditions are like where you are however.....

I've been using the same bog standard 10mm 3 strand poly for 12 years now.... 2 full coils and two half coils, no appreciable chafe, no UV damage ( Patagonia is UV capital of the world btw) . 39 foot boat.

I never bring the tail back to the yacht but make a very long eye so you don't have to go ashore to retrieve.

First pic....yes two lines ashore plus anchor.
next.... ropes were 10 yo when this was taken in Tonga. I get through a lot of rope bags and am looking to change to laundry baskets.
Three ropes and anchor.....
Exactly... Have been using the same poly for years in sections with a long loop to untie from dingy.
Rinsed and stored in lazarette, sections are much easier to manage and anyway.....how often when in cruising mode, do you beach tie?
Also have been told that blue poly lasts longer
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2016, 18:35   #23

Might be leaning towards New England Rope's Floating Dinghy Tow Rope:
NEW ENGLAND ROPES Floating Dinghy Tow Rope | West Marine

7/16", 5000# breaking strength, floats.

I looked at everything I could find on the Samson MFP (similar specs) but nothing says "UV Stabilized"... the NE Rope is polypropylene core with nylon sheathe, so should be pretty immune to UV degradation.
Old 17-08-2016, 18:46   #24
Jd1

I can not believe that plain polypropylene rope can withstand 10 years of tropical sun even if stored correctly unless maybe it was occasional and short term use only.

I suspect that the 'poly' is actually 'polyolefin' or some other kind of polyXXXXX or a mix of poypropylene and something else.

Are the original rope specs available from the 10 year old rope ?
Old 17-08-2016, 19:02   #25

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I can not believe that plain polypropylene rope can withstand 10 years of tropical sun even if stored correctly unless maybe it was occasional and short term use only.

I suspect that the 'poly' is actually 'polyolefin' or some other kind of polyXXXXX or a mix of poypropylene and something else.

Are the original rope specs available from the 10 year old rope ?
I think this is for me?

Dunno what my rope specs are.... bought from the place the local fishermen buy theirs from in Pto Montt.

I doubt they would withstand 10 years tropical sun as well...

They are kept in rope bags when not in use which protects them from the sun.

When 'on passage' the rope bags are stowed in the 'garden shed'.

So... like most shore lines as opposed to dock lines... they have maybe had 3 years exposure in the last 12.

PS I try to avoid 'tropical' if I can
Old 17-08-2016, 19:15   #26
Jd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I think this is for me?
Yes, sorry ....

I think I am done with my contributions to this thread because I am not an expert on ropes. All I can say is that I do not feel comfortable with straight polyproylene rope for safety critical use. I do carry some polypropylene rope in the laz for non critical uses (I carry way too much rope considering I only carry one roll of duct tape and one roll of seizing/bailing wire)
Old 17-08-2016, 20:00   #27
Jd1

one more post

From MarineOutfitters.ca, $179.99 (Canadian !!!) for 600 feet

Novabraid Oletec Twill Orange

OLETEC-12 is a hollow braided 12 strand rope using 100% polyolefin high tenacity co-polymer fiber. It is designed with single or two ply construction depending upon nominal size. Oletec 12 is designed for commercial and marine applications where an easily handled, high strength, floating rope is required. It has excellent abrasion resistance, will not mildew or rot, and is easily spliced.
Product Code: 697488631330

Note that UV resistance isn't specifically addressed but then there is this:

Novabraid 1/2" Nova Lite

Lightweight, low stretch, UV resistant, easy running. Good for dinghy sheets, overboard life lines, heaving lines

It would imply that the first is UV resistant as well ... but one would need to verify that.

I
Old 17-08-2016, 20:15   #28

Pretty good for a guy with two grey cells!!

Quote:
one more post

From MarineOutfitters.ca, $179.99 (Canadian !!!) for 600 feet

Novabraid Oletec Twill Orange

Note that UV resistance isn't specifically addressed
Doesn't seem to mention it there, but I found this on Novabraid's website:
Oletec-12 Rope | Novabraid
... and it specifically states: UV Stabilized

Quote:
but then there is this:

Novabraid 1/2" Nova Lite

Lightweight, low stretch, UV resistant, easy running. Good for dinghy sheets, overboard life lines, heaving lines
Oddly, the NovaLite lists no specific gravity on its spec sheet:
http://www.novabraid.com/pdfs/LR-P20103-NovaLite.pdf
... and it doesn't say it floats... although it might.

Thanks for the pointer, the Oletec is moving to the top of the list!
Old 18-08-2016, 09:32   #29

Quote:
I hope you never get to find out how quick UV can damage poly. Keep in mind that it reduces the already light load rating from day one. Add to it some shore chafe and maybe a day when the wind picks up a bit and .....

Just not worth the risk IMHO when a few extra dollars can buy you a much stronger and less UV sensitive line.
I have got to experience it... in the sea of cortez for 1.5 years, temps to 102 degrees. I(n the carribean also.) The 25 ft 3/8" dingy painter lasted 1.5 years even in those Mexico temps. Once caught in steep 16 ft waves stupidly towing the little 8ft hard dingy, the dingy was swamped and went under while surfing down a a wave. When the mother ship caught up and pulled the painter bar tight, the dingy popped out of the water vertically and threw all the water out of it.
But the bottom line is a stern tie in the Gulf islands is really just for one thing, to keep your boat aligned to shore and not drifting into the boat next door. Not an anchoring device really.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2016, 09:37   #30

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

Sounds to me as though you're over-thinking this a bit. I sailed a Gulf 32 throughout PNW for many years. Having to stern tie will be the exception and then only in a few busy bays in Desolation Sound.

One thing I have found useful with stern ties and stern anchors is to tack them at a bow cleat, run it outside everything and then with a separate line tie the stern line down to a stern cleat. This way if you wake in the night with a williwa on your beam quarter you only need release the line on the stern cleat and your vessel will swing parallel to the shore.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific northwest