Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 13:12   #1

Boat: Caliber 40LRC
Stern Anchor/Line ideas

I have a spare Danforth style anchor that I will not be using in the bow anymore. It uses rode, and I will have two anchors at the bow with chain. My question is: I have storage in the cockpit by the helm that used to be an icebox, but it is no longer needed. It is smaller than the propane locker, so I cannot really fit a 10lb. propane bottle in it. I was thinking that it would be a great spot to put a reel of line, whether it be for the stern anchor or just to have stern line on a reel. I just read a thread all about how people aren't really using stern anchors that much, especially in the Caribbean. What do you think I should do?

-Use the locker to store a reel of line
-Use the locker to store the rode for a stern anchor, which would be mounted on the stern rail/arch
-Store smaller propane tanks?

DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:16   #2

Re: Stern Anchor/Line ideas

You'll only know when you run out of propane.

Seriously, though, you culd mount the Danforth on a pushpit stanchion and keep it ready for either a stern or kedge anchor and still use the propane locker. The reel's a good idea, too, but I doubt you'd be doing stern ties to trees like they do in the PNW.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:19   #3

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

The propane locker is a separate locker that houses two 10 lb. propane tanks. I also have a 11lb. tank that is stored in the dinghy on davits for the outboard, but I am going to need to move that once the dinghy is stored on deck upside down. I'm not really concerned with running out of propane, and the icebox like I said cannot store 10lb. tanks, so I would just cram it full of the camping tanks. I guess I just like the idea of having a big spool of line back there. What exactly is the best way to mount an anchor to a stern rail?
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 13:22   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

At least where I am, I'm always using my stern hook, so I think it is a very good idea. In fact I think it is a good idea to have your stern anchor and roller and rode just as strong as your bow, because you never know when you might really need that too. I see very few boats with an anchor on the stern the equal of the bow but what do I know?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 19:25   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Don,

Friends of ours have an (aluminum) Allures, and it is fitted with a stern chain locker and anchor with roller. Very practical, as it is always ready to go.

To the OP,

There are brackets available for securing the base of the Danforth anchors, and then you can use a bungee to secure the stock. If you're using it without any chain at all, you will not need a roller, but having the roller (Jim made the bracket and put a roller on our first Insatiable) will make life easier if you do that.

You could fashion a rope locker in the corner of the transom, below decks with an attachment for the bitter end of line (we did this, too, just used two milk crates, with the bottom sawn out of the top one and lashed together, and it drained to the bilge). You could also do that with an extra sailbag, using battens to keep the mouth open and secured to the underside of the deck. We installed a vent back there, which he cut the throat vertically on, so it could be opened to accept the chain (that we had back of the anchor, and also to vent the area, let it face away from the wind), and the line was always ready to run. So, you could drop the stern anchor wherever you wanted, and put the rope rode on the secondary winch and set the hook and adjust the scope. Additionally, if you have midships cleats, that is a great place to secure the rode when used as a kedge.

Ann

Tags
anchor