Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 20:37   #1

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Splicing Rope to Chain

Back splice or extended splice?

Back splice - thread rope (3-strand) through last link of chain and splice rope back into itself

Extended splice - splice the strands of the rope into the links of the chains

Any comments on the relative merits, pros and cons of each method (or, indeed, any other method of joining rope to chain)?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 22:40   #2

Boat: Tartan 37 Adios III
Eye splice with thimble + shackle with seizing. Far more flexible in terms of changing rodes, swapping chain end for end etc.IMHO
daedaluscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 23:01   #3

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I think your "Back" splice is the only one that will run through a gypsy if that matters.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:46   #4

Boat: Farr 36
Thumbs up Rode to Chain Splice

Hi have not tried this yet but it a good looking splice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BlueMoment - achor chain splice.pdf (157.3 KB, 1164 views)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:01   #5

I've used an eye splice but without the thimble to allow the splice to fit over the gyspy. It's very simular to the back splice however the strands stay intack when passing through the last chain length as opposed to being seperated. FWIW I'm using a 5/8 inch 3 strand with 3/8 inch BBB chain.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 17:53   #6

There will be no thimbles. I don't think that the gypsy would like them. The two splices ("back" and "extended") are, I believe, the generally accepted way of joining 3-strand rope to chain, for use in conjunction with an anchor windlass. I was really looking for comments as to their relative merits.
Old 11-05-2010, 18:19   #7

Boat: Westsail 32
I would think the extended splice would be stronger, retain more of the shock absorbung nature of the 3 strand and less subject to point chaffing like a back splice.
cburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 18:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
There will be no thimbles. I don't think that the gypsy would like them. The two splices ("back" and "extended") are, I believe, the generally accepted way of joining 3-strand rope to chain, for use in conjunction with an anchor windlass. I was really looking for comments as to their relative merits.
The windless manufacturers all (that I am aware of) recommend the back splice. There are two primary reasons (a) if the extended splice is not done perfectly, it is possible for a link to turn sideways and jam in the windless and burn it out; (b) after some use the extended splice gets stiff and sometimes will not wrap smoothly around the gypsy.

That said, we know people who have used both with fine results, but I personally would use the back splice.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:49   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42
I second Even's nomination. A well done nicely tapered back splice is very reliable and will run through a gypsy without difficulty.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 13:17   #10

Back splice. It's quite simple and fast, reliable, and runs over the gypsy very well.
Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 13:25   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
G'Day Patrick,

On I-one we used an extended splice... ran thru the windlass nicely (horizontal model), lasted well, but we only used it in anger two times over the 17 years we had her. I think if the splice is used frequently that one should do a regular inspection for chafe, but that either type will perform well.

Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II on the hard at Bayview slipway, Pittwater, NSW, Oz
Old 12-05-2010, 14:55   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
I've used an eye splice but without the thimble to allow the splice to fit over the gyspy. It's very simular to the back splice however the strands stay intack when passing through the last chain length as opposed to being seperated. FWIW I'm using a 5/8 inch 3 strand with 3/8 inch BBB chain.
An eye splice with no thimble is actually weaker than the back splice. The reason is distribution of strain among strands. That is what weakens knots - tight turns - and the eye splice has a tight inner radius while the backsplice has the strands laid flat at that point. If anything, the backsplice is the simplest splice to make.

Additionally, the back splice will suffer less wear, since it will not move, while the eye splice will work a bit since it is not tight to the chain.

The long splice, aka shovel spice because it brings up mud, is stiff and will not go through many windlasses. It is strong, reliable, and simple.

Counter intuitive at first, I agree, but proven in testing.
Old 12-05-2010, 15:08   #13

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I've not done either yet, but I'm debating the same question. I've thought that since the back splice uses less of the rode, and looks easier and quicker to do, I'd be more inclined to replace it...more frequently.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 15:36   #14

Thanks for all the opinions, folks. Seems like there is no real consensus of opinion, and the reality is that either one will get the job done. Certainly a tapered back splice looks more neat.

However, I have read that the extended splice is stronger - that is to say that the extended splice reduces the strength of the rope less than does the back splice (ref: Alain Hylas, see quote below), but I have not seen any test-result type proof.
The reality is that I plan on having a decent length of chain (150'), so the rope will just be a back-up, and will rarely, if ever (I hope) be used in anger.

Assuming Hylas is right, I am leaning towards the extended splice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Hylas

CONNECTING ROPE TO CHAIN
Remember: A CHAIN HAS THE RESISTANCE OF ITS WEAKEST LINK...

a) With an "eye" splice over a thimble and then a shackle on the chain. ALWAYS use a shackle one size biger than the chain.. and secure the pin with a monel wire. This is a perfectly safe solution but the eye splice will have difficulties to go throuh the bow roller.. will no pass the windlass gipsy and will never go through the deck pipe...
b) with a rope to chain splice.. There are two ways to do this: the wrong one and the right one.
Wrong: NEVER splice the rope over the rope after a "U" turn into the last chain link . . . you will lose about half of the strength of the rope.
Right: Make a direct rope to chain splice. This is quite easy to do.. when you know how!!!
ref: Anchor Rodes - by Alain Hylas
Old 12-05-2010, 18:57   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
extended splice reduces the strength of the rope less than does the back splice . . .
Assuming Hylas is right.
Well, he is wrong.

#1 The strength of the splice really does not matter much because it is not the weak point in the system and is not where rope to chain systems break. They typically break where the rope runs over the roller, or at a point of chafe on deck, or at the anchor shackle.

#2 A properly done 'long splice' back splice will test at 95% of the line strength. A regular back splice will test at about 85% (New England Ropes tests suggest 87.7%). The extended splice tests in this same range. It is harder to get the tension equalized on all the fibers of an extended splice, so the test results vary more than on a back splice. The 50% number he quotes is just plain wrong for nylon . . . it would perhaps be true for a less elastic fiber like dacron.

#3 There is really not much disagreement on this among those with the most knowledge. Both the line AND windless manufacturers all recommend the back splice.
Samson ropes: http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files..._RopeChain.pdf, New England Ropes: http://www.neropes.com/SPL_3StrandRopeToChain.aspx
Yale Ropes: http://www.yalecordage.com/pdf/brait...ain_splice.pdf
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope