Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 20:29   #1

Boat: 42' vagabond
splicing anchor line

looked up the other day while anchored. Saw that one strand of the 1" 3 strand anchor line had broken (sawed thru on a turnbuckle of the bowsprit).
has anyone cut and spliced on a 3 strand anchor line. boats a 42' vagabond,
1980.....30,000lbs...... i know the answer is to buy another line but can it be done and work??
thanks
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 20:59   #2

Re: splicing anchor line

It reduces the strength of the line ~10%; whether that's actually going to be an issue will depend on the conditions you throw at it. 1" is expensive; I don't think it's crazy to want to not re-buy if you can avoid it.

You "should" do it right, but if you did everything right you'd never leave the dock.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:19   #3

Boat: Farr 1020

Go ahead and do it. I don't know anyone in our squadron that doesn't back splice onto their chain.

Cheers
Acushla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:24   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

So, let's say you put in a long splice and do best with your nylon rode; The question remains, what will you do about the chafe on your bow sprint while anchored? Can you lead the rode from a lower pad eye? Can you set up a bridle that will keep the rode off the chafe points? Can you add some chafe protection onto the bow sprint? Repairing your rode is not a solution to your problem. You need to be able to anchor without your boat our anything at the bottom sawing through your line!
Old 12-07-2013, 21:39   #5

In my experience the splice is usually the last to go. Especially on a short splice. I say splice away.
JustaBoatDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 21:53   #6

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

The only thing at risk is your boat.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 23:11   #7

Want to sleep good on a windy night? Listen to what Aretha tells you! Chain chain chain! Chain chain chain! Chain chain chain, ain, ain, ain, ain, ...
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 00:22   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Here are some pictures of slpicing my 3-strand anchor snubber - it is easy and straightforward and if done correctly (particularly the taper) is as strong as the original. Blog page at 2013 Trip Blog and Diary 2013-04-06

Old 13-07-2013, 00:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It depends on what you want to do with the anchor rode. A short splice is reasonably strong but may not run through a windlass gipsy. A long splice won't change the diameter of the line but will seriously weaken the rode.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:22   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
It depends on what you want to do with the anchor rode. A short splice is reasonably strong but may not run through a windlass gipsy. A long splice won't change the diameter of the line but will seriously weaken the rode.
why does a long splice weaken the line and a.short. does not ? I am NOT saying you're wrong I am just curious
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:28   #11
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It reduces the strength of the line ~10%; whether that's actually going to be an issue will depend on the conditions you throw at it. 1" is expensive; I don't think it's crazy to want to not re-buy if you can avoid it.

You "should" do it right, but if you did everything right you'd never leave the dock.

Soak the end of the line you're going to splice in fresh water. Change it a couple of times, and put fabric softener in the last rinse. Make sure the line dries straight. It's considerably harder to splice line that has a lot of salt water in it. Some riggers refuse to splice line that has been used.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 01:29   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaBoatDriver View Post
In my experience the splice is usually the last to go. Especially on a short splice. I say splice away.

Good splicing makes the strongest, most dependable join with the least amount in loss of strength in the line.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 06:23   #13

Boat: 42' vagabond

Great answers, many thanks for the concern. Today i'm go'in down an first soak the splice area in fresh water a couple of times- won't have thought of that one- and let it dry out straight. then attempt the long splice. i do use a lighthouse wrench with 300' of 3/8 chain on the other side. and yes, after all this I'll attempt to cover up the portside, rope side, turnbuckle. this didn't happen for 6 years of usage but when it does - fix it- cheap - sailor style!
chuckg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:24   #14

Taping the strands, or melting the ends if synthetic, will make them much easier to work with. Unlay more than you expect to use, and stop the lines with seine twine or other string to keep them from unlaying further. Tuck, untwist the strand where it tucks under while you pull it tight, then twist it back. Tightly whipping the finished short splice will give it extra strength, and chafe protection. It's easy to get lost, so remember all tucks go to the right on right laid line, and tuck under the opposite line's strands, not its own.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2013, 07:32   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckg5 View Post
Great answers, many thanks for the concern. Today i'm go'in down an first soak the splice area in fresh water a couple of times- won't have thought of that one- and let it dry out straight. then attempt the long splice. i do use a lighthouse wrench with 300' of 3/8 chain on the other side. and yes, after all this I'll attempt to cover up the portside, rope side, turnbuckle. this didn't happen for 6 years of usage but when it does - fix it- cheap - sailor style!
Chuck, do consider using a short splice rather than a long splice, especially for your first attempt at this art. The long splice is inherently less strong than the short due to its structure and is much harder to accomplish successfully. The increase in diameter of the line will likely not hang up in your spurling pipe but may take some fiddling to get it over the gypsy. If you try the short splice and it is unsatisfactory in use, then it is always possible to cut it out and attempt the LS.

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
anchor