Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2014, 10:51   #61

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: Snubbers - Or the Lack of Them

On the subject of snubbers, which I add I do use all the time for overnight anchoring, I'd like to ask about bridles.

I have heard people say they can help stop a boat swinging so much which instantly appeals to me as we dance about like a cat on a hot tin roof, but I'm not sure how to rig it up.

Do you use 2 separate lines attached to the chain individually or 1 line with the "hook" in the middle. Do you tie them off to the fore cleats or do they need to come back to the midships ones? Generally if the forecast is for winds in excess of 25kts we'll run for harbour but gusts and squalls can come from nowhere so we do set the anchor "just in case".

Having read this thread fully I have realised that our snubber is probably a little short, although it might just reach the water if I let out a wrap or 2 on the cleat. I actually tie the thicker nylon line on to the chain using a short length of climbing rope through the link, easy and secure but might think about an alternate method too. And up to now it has always been looped over the bow roller, which I am beginning to think is not the best way to do it.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:02   #62

We usually use a bridle in place of a snubber and yes it does help a lot. Of course we have a catamaran.

If your bow is narrow and you can't seperate the lines, it doesn't work as well. It can provide some benefit but just not as dramatic. It is really useful when wind and waves are from different directions. In that case, you can tie off the bridle so your bow faces into the waves which makes for a much more comfortable ride.

We use a simple Klienhiest knot on a 60' dock line with one tail to each side then let out a couple feet of anchor line so the bridle takes up the tension. It ties in about 10 seconds and is easy to undo. It works on both chain or rope.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2014, 12:38   #63
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Like many things, this is boat and area specific:

a. In many parts of the world thunderstorms with 60knot winds are possible most of the summer. Better to anchor as though they are certain. Last week I was cruising, there was a chance of storms 4 days, and we really got pasted at anchor once... and the chance was only 20% that day.

b. Much depends on how shallow you anchor. I had about 50' of chain out in 5 feet of water (with freeboard, about 6:1); any more and I would have swung into very shallow waters. Yup, the wind straightend that out easily, but with 20' snubber the ride was smooth. Had I been in 15 feet of water the snubber would have been less important, but that 5' is all the harbor had.

And yes, there are many days when there is so little wind I am anchored by the chain alone (the center of swing is not the anchor). But I find it simpler to have one habit. Takes only seconds and saves wear on the roller.