Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2013, 08:36   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Snubber Version 3

Relative to post #41:

How do you adjust it if the wind gets up?

What keeps the starboard side line from chafing on the toerail?

Ann
Old 06-11-2013, 08:59   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 54

Some really good points that I hadn't considered - primarily the problem of slipping it quickly under load. To be honest I haven't faced that situation yet but as it stands the only way would be cutting it off ...but if it came to that (couldn't motor forwards and couldn't use the windlass) I guess I'd have bigger problems - although adding a small problem to an existing set of big problems doesn't normally help!

Do people make use of "adjustable snubbers" on a regular basis? For me the idea was to have something that i could deploy quickly, stow again easily and not end up with more ropes lying around the deck when it was in use.

I actually have an even heavier chain grabber(??) and rope ready for a really heavy weather snubber and will take these great comments onboard when making that one up.

Ann, there's nothing on the starboard side running over the toe rail to chafe - it just goes around the cleat to the centre of the boat and then over the bow down to the chain - maybe the photo isn't really clear.

For interest I had used my previous snubber for 2 seasons in the Med before replacing it with this one. I'd say that was about exactly 100 days at anchor so great estimate thinwater!

Phil
PhilDuhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2014, 04:14   #48

Boat: Allied 39

Thank you Evan for taking the time to describe the method along with some Pics. Being out here cruising we seem to find our selves out of reality with newer products and different ways to do things. We did purchase a length of dynema that we attach to the boat so it runs over the bow roller and then is joined to the length of 1/2" 3 strand by a sheet bend.

So far after a season of use it's fantastic. First it stops all the noise from the stretch over the roller when the wind and swell is up. This makes sleeping in the v berth much quieter.

The one issue I found was the blue dynema line was so slippery that it would creep until finally it pulled the knot apart. I ended up doing a sheet bend with enough of the Dynema line to put a stopper knot in the end. This seemed to solve the problem. Ok ok I know not very seaman like but it works.

We have not seen any chafe on the dynema line at all this season. So it looks like a great easy upgrade to Jacaranda's anchoring setup.

Thanks again!!!

Chuck
Jacaranda
Panama
Old 28-08-2015, 13:00   #49

Boat: Allied 39

I know this is an old thread but wanted to give you a report of our snubber now in the third year. As I mentioned in the previous post it had worked perfectly for us. Still does showing no chafe, no noise from the 3 strand stretching on deck and causing the chain to move along the bow roller.

In summary we have a 7' length of Dynema 1/2" line attached to the deck and it runs over the bow roller where it connects with the 3 strand using a double rolling hitch with a stopper knot. The 3 strand connects to the chain with a rolling hitch.

For us a great solution to the constant noise and chafe we experienced before going to this system. We are still on the same length of 1/2" 3 strand and besides showing some minor chafe where the chain touches it looking just fine.

Safe anchoring

Chuck
Jacaranda
Marquesas, French Polynesia
www.jacarandajourney.com

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum