Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2019, 13:39   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Snap shackle or carabiner for the end of my bridle

Am trying to make things easier for attaching to a mooring on my catamaran. I use a bridle, a line attached to the 2 bow cleats.

For moorings, I normally take a line, double it, and then take the lines through the looped end through the mooring ring and bring each end back a bow cleat. The issue is that when leaving in the morning, it is sometimes difficult to loosen this line at the ring. (Sometimes I just pass the end of the line through the ring so it can slide, but I am afraid that friction against the line will saw through it).

I was thinking that either a snap shackle or carabiner would make life easier, but am concerned that either they won't lock well, or could open under stress.

For instance Mantus has this carabiner, but it looks like it could easily open
https://www.mantusmarine.com/product/carabiner/

Was thinking about a snap shackle or possibly a climbing carabiner, but not sure how strong one I would need.

Appreciate if anyone has comments on using this type of HW, and if so, what size (20 k lbs loaded 38' cat). Thanks.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2019, 15:16   #2

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36
Re: Snap shackle or carabiner for the end of my bridle

You can tie a bowline with a ten foot loop , witchard makes a big carbiiner
Old 20-05-2019, 17:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Alternatively:

Two doubled lines through the mooring ring, one to each bow?

Or a UHMPE soft shackle?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 06:38   #4

I wouldn’t trust my boat to either a carabiner or a snap shackle.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 07:07   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Amen. 20K bouncing on a chop is way over a carabiner's design load. From the centerpoint of the bridle (Bowline or bowline on a bight) take a line or doubled line through the mooring ball and back to a cleat. Use tightly laid nylon for shock and abasion resistance. Check for abasion by slipping the line out a bit so the "bearing" surface changes and you can see dangerous wear. If your cleat is on the centerline, it should not rub at the mooring ball. To really avoid rubbing, bring the mooring line back to the bridle center instead of to a cleat.

Any other "riggers" have an idea?
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 07:16   #6

Since most mooring balls have a pendant, we tie a line to each bow cleat (2). We then run the bitter end through the loop on the pendant and back to the same cleat that line is tied to on the bow.

There is no 'sawing' when done this way. Each loop is static This allows us to untie the lines from the cleat and retrieve the bitter end when dropping the ball. It makes picking up and dropping moorings extremely easy.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 07:17   #7

Like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mooring bridle.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	192455  
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 08:58   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Since most mooring balls have a pendant, we tie a line to each bow cleat (2). We then run the bitter end through the loop on the pendant and back to the same cleat that line is tied to on the bow.

There is no 'sawing' when done this way. Each loop is static This allows us to untie the lines from the cleat and retrieve the bitter end when dropping the ball. It makes picking up and dropping moorings extremely easy.
Many of the moorings I pick up either have a line from the mooring with a loop at the end (pendant) that you can use on your cleat, or the mooring has a stick attached to the ball that has a say 2" oval at the top of the stick.

Either way, I normally take a single line and double it. I put the doubled end through the loop on the pendant or mooring stick and pull both bitter ends through it, and lead each end back to a cleat. Works great except for getting it untied in the morning. Other option if little wind is to just tie one end of line to a bow cleat, put the other end thru the loop on the mooring/pendant, and tie the other end to the other bow cleat. Worried about this sawing through if we swing lots.

Idea of taking 2 lines doubled thru the loop on mooring might prevent the sawing, but then have to run to each bow with 2 lines cleated.

Was thinking of using a soft shackle rather than snap shackle, but worry about them opening without large load? If little wind at night, the mooring lines are slack, not really any tension on the soft shackle. Easy to come open? Not that experienced with them in these situations.
Old 21-05-2019, 09:04   #9

I would trust a well made soft shackle much more than a carabiner or snap shackle.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:10   #10

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

If short term don't really need to bother with a line to each bow. Just take one line cleated off on one bow, through the loop and back to the same bow. Boat will lay a little angled to the wind (helps get air in the portholes) and acutally sails around a bit less.

For longer times go with two lines. One from each bow and back to the same bow. When departing just drop one, pull it aboard then saunter over to the other bow and do the same.

When picking up I just attach to one bow and, if I want to tie to both bows, I just do that after everything is shut down. If I tied the first line very short I have never had a problem getting the second line through the loop and then using the 2:1 purchase to center the boat.

Single line has worked even in "tight" mooring fields.
Bill
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 09:20   #11

Boat: Pearson

I dont trust hardware, aline can wear but you can see it, metal just goes, tie a bowline.
Old 21-05-2019, 10:03   #12

I use two pre made 3/4 dock lines hitched though the mooring eye. I leave these on my mooring when I leave. Use them to tie up the dingy. When I return I pull the eye all the way up on the bow roller on the forward beam. Then to port and starboard cleats. This has served me well though many storms over the years. I have made another bridal by taking 3/4 nylon “rope” and splicing one eye in one end then making a very large eye in the other end Maybe 20 ft in diameter which I cut in half. So now I have 3legs on one line. Then I splice eyes or not in the ends of those. That worked pretty good also. I do not like hardware if it can be avoided. A large galvanized shackle sized with stainless or monel wire might be ok
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:10   #13
Marine Service Provider

Was thinking of using a soft shackle rather than snap shackle, but worry about them opening without large load? If little wind at night, the mooring lines are slack, not really any tension on the soft shackle. Easy to come open? Not that experienced with them in these situations.[/QUOTE]

The bridle lines need not be slack. After attaching the bridal and deploying it let out an extra 5 metres of chain that loops down adding weight which suppresses the loads as it pulls up when it does blow.
Parallel Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2019, 10:23   #14

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

If someone would make a good quality galvanized or SS version of this?

You could make up a single or double leg rope bridle with this quick release shackle permanently (anchor bend?) knotted or spliced to the bridle. The shackle would go thru the mooring buoy ring and take the wear. / Len

Buoy Shackle Supplier, China Marine Shackle Manufacturer - Hi-Sea Marine

Some other pics: https://www.google.com/search?q=buoy...TFWCzCM:&vet=1
Old 21-05-2019, 11:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyway View Post
I use two pre made 3/4 dock lines hitched though the mooring eye. I leave these on my mooring when I leave. Use them to tie up the dingy. When I return I pull the eye all the way up on the bow roller on the forward beam. Then to port and starboard cleats. This has served me well though many storms over the years. I have made another bridal by taking 3/4 nylon “rope” and splicing one eye in one end then making a very large eye in the other end Maybe 20 ft in diameter which I cut in half. So now I have 3legs on one line. Then I splice eyes or not in the ends of those. That worked pretty good also. I do not like hardware if it can be avoided. A large galvanized shackle sized with stainless or monel wire might be ok
I am talking about picking up transient moorings, not for my permanent mooring. I have 2 pendants with loops for that.

Tags
bridle