Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 07:11   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7
Snagging keel on mooring line

I have my Beneteau First 36.7 moored to a mooring line that seems to get caught up on the keel occassionally at slack tide. When the current picks back up, it stays snagged, listing the boat considerably, keeping it at right angles to the current.
We've tried shortening the line, but it still happens. Some ideas are to add weights, or floats, down the line to either sink or float the line at slack tide to keep it out of the way of the keel.
Has anyone had experience doing this? What do you recommend?
In more ways than one, I feel stuck!
Thanks!
Pacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:40   #2

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Snagging keel on mooring line

I don't get it. Every mooring I've seen uses heavy chain to a large weight. On top is a float. You tie off to the ring on top of the float with a short length of rope. Can you describe your arrangement? Is it the same as what others use in your area? What do they do?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 16:18   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
... Every mooring I've seen uses heavy chain to a large weight.....
Common configuration in your area, but it varies quite a bit depending upon where you are in the world. Here in the W Carib it is common to have heavy 3-strand (or similar) between pin (in bottom) and bouy, then 3-strand between bouy and boat.

I've had similar problems with fin keeled monos (like my H33) usually due to current as OP describes and/or big wind shifts. Frustrating. I knew there was a problem when I would look out and see my H33 sitting stern tot he wind. Don't have a great idea the OP. Wonder how a small drogue off the stern would work...to keep the boat bow into current?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 16:37   #4

Boat: Niagara 35

Interesting... Or send a Kellet down the mooring line to keep it down?
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 17:06   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Common configuration in your area, but it varies quite a bit depending upon where you are in the world. Here in the W Carib it is common to have heavy 3-strand (or similar) between pin (in bottom) and bouy, then 3-strand between bouy and boat.
That configuration is common in areas of the caribbean that are protected or near protected areas. If the mooring company is used to using rope they will use rope unless the customer specifies chain.

We have three moorings but spent years selecting out just the right spot. What you are describing happens when you get back winded at the same time of slack tide. You get pushed onto the ball. We fixed it by moving the location of the mooring around the bay until such time we were happy. That wasn't the only factor in selecting the location, we also tried to avoid areas where winter rollers might break.

I second the motion of switching to all chain if you can. Ours are big enough to hold the queen mary.

For the posters that indicated that you tie onto the top of the ball... I know that is what you are SUPPOSED to do but I choose not to. Unless that ball is being maintained the pin that goes through the ball tends to get corroded in various locations and being hidden is difficult to inspect unless you take the ball apart. I have seen plenty of boats go adrift because of that. I always attach mine to a shackle on the main mooring line (if possible) and then with some chain and the line to the boat.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, mooring