Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2016, 19:34   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Simpson Lawrence Seawolf windlass, manual operation

I have a S L Seawolf 520 electric windlass but I have seen there is a handle for manual operation. However the owners manual says nothing about it, how it works, where it connects or even what it looks like.

I did get a picture no scale and couldn't figure out how it works.

Anybody have one of these, know how it works? It looks like a fairly simple tool I could cut from a piece of steel bar if I could get a better idea of what it's like.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 19:41   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Simpson Lawrence Seawolf windlass, manual operation

By the way, here's a picture of the lever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seawolf Emergency Recovery Lever (1).jpg
Views:	590
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	129403  
Old 11-08-2016, 20:04   #3

Boat: 41' yawl

Email the guy at http://www.slspares.co.uk/
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 20:12   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
That's where I got the photo but no instructions on how it works. Hate to bug John for more free advise since I don't plan on buying one from him. With shipping from Scotland I think it was well over $100 and I can make one for about nothing from a piece of scrap.

But even with the photo I can't quite figure out how I would use it.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:06   #5

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

This may not be the most technically correct answer, but this IS how you use the lever. The lever fits down beside the starboard side of the chain gypsy to engage the square sides of the windlass axle, so you can lever it backwards a bit at a time. The chain pawl is used to keep the chain in place while you move the lever forward to do it again. Never had to do it in anger but it could be a useful facility. I could ask a younger crew member to do the job....

The tool is not a simple flat bar, by the way. The right fit would also be essential. Personally, I'd buy the right tool. If you ever had to use it, you would want minimum hassle.

I will say that john just rebuilt my Seawolf windlass early last year and did an excellent job. Better than new now. Not a cheap job, but should last many more years. Worth the money and peace of mind in my view.
He does recommend sending it to him for a service every 3 years.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2016, 03:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
This may not be the most technically correct answer, but this IS how you use the lever. The lever fits down beside the starboard side of the chain gypsy to engage the square sides of the windlass axle, so you can lever it backwards a bit at a time. The chain pawl is used to keep the chain in place while you move the lever forward to do it again. Never had to do it in anger but it could be a useful facility. I could ask a younger crew member to do the job....

The tool is not a simple flat bar, by the way. The right fit would also be essential. Personally, I'd buy the right tool. If you ever had to use it, you would want minimum hassle.

I will say that john just rebuilt my Seawolf windlass early last year and did an excellent job. Better than new now. Not a cheap job, but should last many more years. Worth the money and peace of mind in my view.
He does recommend sending it to him for a service every 3 years.
Hi Clivevon and thanks for the reply.

I did the rebuild on my windlass and did not remember any flattened or squared sections on the axle. By axle you are referring to the shaft that passes through the drum, gypsy, clutches, etc? Just to be sure I pulled the shaft off mine and there is the round shaft with a long keyway, a couple of round bushings that compress to lock in the clutches but nothing square on the whole length of that shaft. You are referring to the SL Seawold 520 windlass, yes? Like the one in this video?

Old 13-08-2016, 08:44   #7

Hi Skipmac, sorry I'm away from my boat for the next 4 weeks so not able to double check the physical reality. However, yes, I looked at the video and that is the right windlass. I don't know about the 520 model number, and can't check at present.

I was guessing about the squared off axle, hence the "not technically correct" comment, but all else is as I described. The tool I have looks like your drawing, and when fitted down beside the gypsy, can be easily made to definitely and very positively engage with something down there, allowing the gypsy to be rotated backwards for about a quarter turn. You then disengage the tool, lever it freely forward and engage "whatever" again, allowing another part rotation by levering back again.

A laborious process and not one I would want to carry out, but the facility is there if all else fails.

Not sure how to make direct contact via this forum, if you need more info?
Old 13-08-2016, 08:54   #8

To be honest, if my windlass ever failed, I'd be tempted to try rigging up something using a chain hook and rope led back to a sheet winch in preference to using that manual handle directly on the windlass. It looks like pretty hard work to me... Still, I carry it on board anyway.
Old 13-08-2016, 09:10   #9

Every electric "manual" option I have seen is just a way to turn the shaft, It would be very slow and cumbersome. You are likely better to hand pull and maybe use a winch and hook for the last heavy part.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:48   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

I know this is thread is old, but just in case it was never figured out the flat bar fits into the clutch nut to both tighten it real good and also to use as a lever arm for manual retrieval. The latter function is completely useless and the one time my winch popped a gear I just heave-ho'd on the chain to get the anchor up. Thanks to the wonderful simplicity of this winch, I had it repaired and up and running again within minutes of dropping anchor at the next stop off.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, simpson lawrence, wind, windlass