Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 19:01   #1

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK
Shackle for an odd anchor

I have a ~45lbs CQR anchor with a ~1in. wide shank and a just smaller than 3/4in. eye. I am having a hard time finding a forged hot dipped galvanized shackle that will wit these dimensions. Both Chicago and Crosby shackles don't fit, their 1/2" shackle is not wide enough (shackle mouth opening is 0.81") to go around the shank and the pin of their 5/8" shackle (a 3/4" pin) is too big to go through the eye. Frustrating. I would like to use a forged hot dipped galvanized shackle. Any suggestions on who might make a shackle that will fit?
One solution would be to enlarge the eye of the anchor to fit a 3/4" pin but I'm thinking this might compromise the shank. Thoughts?
jonahmulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:17   #2

Boat: Allures 44
Re: Shackle for an odd anchor

I guess it's not helpful to point out that a CQR comes with its own shackle forged in place (permanently), and you attach your shackle to this shackle. Obviously yours is missing?
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:22   #3

I didn't know that about CQR anchors. The two I have came with the boat and never had shackles as the boat came without any rode. That might explain the odd dimensions. The Crosby 1/2" shackle fits the smaller of the two anchors, the larger one is the issue.
Old 17-06-2013, 19:25   #4

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Use a Crosby 209A 7/16" shackle
Working Load Limit (WLL) 2.6 ton or 5,200 lbs
A) Throat Opening .75 inch
B) Pin Diameter .5 inch

Do not widen the anchor slot just make it longer, so as not to effect its strength.

7/16" shackle will fit on 5/16 G4 chain as shown in these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor Shackle.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	411.1 KB
ID:	62750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Crosby Shackle_6.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	62751  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Crosby_G-209A Alloy Screw Pin Shackles Specs.pdf (587.4 KB, 55 views)
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:28   #5

Interesting, did you lengthen the anchor slot on the anchor in the picture?
Old 17-06-2013, 19:32   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahmulski View Post
I have a ~45lbs CQR anchor with a ~1in. wide shank and a just smaller than 3/4in. eye...........
One solution would be to enlarge the eye of the anchor to fit a 3/4" pin but I'm thinking this might compromise the shank. Thoughts?
Just how much smaller is the key question here?

If it is say only 10 or 15 thou (or 1/64") too small, then by all means open it up to 3/4" but maybe not if 100 thou or even 1/8".
Also measure the shank, does ~1 in mean > 1 in or < 1 in .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:34   #7

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Interesting, did you lengthen the anchor slot on the anchor in the picture?
No, most anchor slots are elongated by design. CQR's had the shackle welded on from the factory, so if you have no shackle than you have to make a modification to add one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CQR anchor.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	62753  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 02:20   #8

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

i use industrial lifting shackles - they seem to be more corrosion resistant, cheaper and stronger. But i only know suppliers here in oz, must be plenty in CA. And you might have to use 2 - 1 with pin thru anchor, 1 with pin thru chain. The other thing i use on anchor shackles is engine safety wire - i got a big reel of it years ago for working on my old shovelhead but it works brilliantly on anchor shackles - never corrodes.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 00:16   #9

I did some more precise measuring (as precise as one can get with a tape measure) and here are the numbers.
Shank 7/8" wide, eye 3/4" (appears to be just shy of 3/4")
I also measured the size pin that can go through my 3/8" G4 chain = 1/2" seems to be the max. So likely I'll end up with two shackles one to fit the anchor and one to fit the chain.
Looking at the shape of the shank (see pics) it seems like elongating it would weaken it as it gets narrow pretty quick. It doesn't appear to be to far off from 3/4" so I'm thinking enlarging it the little it needs to fit the 3/4"pin is the way to go. However, the best solution would be to find a high quality shackle that has an opening larger than 7/8" wide and a pin smaller than 3/4". Anyone have any suggestions as to where to look? or on any of the rest of this?
Thank you for all the input!

Old 20-06-2013, 02:08   #10

If it was mine, I would open it up to 25/64" or 19.5 mm; whichever bit you can get hold of.
There is plenty of meat there to play with
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-06-2013, 00:50   #11

Opps, that was meant to read 49/64" and not 25/64".....
Old 28-06-2013, 17:20   #12

Thank you all for your input. I decided to get a 3/4" bit and ream the hole out. It didn't take much material off at all (it might have just been corrosion).
It was helpful having input fro you all as it's hard to sleep at night when I'm questioning the strength of my ground tackle.
Thanks again!
Old 28-06-2013, 17:30   #13
Marine Service Provider

Just get the biggest shackles you can fit. It's very common to have to fit 2 shackles in a chain to anchor connection so don't stress about that. The most important thing would be to get good shackles.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2013, 17:39   #14

Thanks for the advice. I'm using Crosby 209A shackles. I will have to use two shackles as my chain will only take a 1/2" pin. Unfortunately, the working load limit on Crosby shackles with 1/2" pins (7/16" shackle) is just under the working load limit of my chain, but not by much. These were the best shackles I could find without going stainless. I feel pretty comfortable the set up.
Old 29-06-2013, 08:30   #15

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I'm using Crosby 209A shackles. I will have to use two shackles as my chain will only take a 1/2" pin. Unfortunately, the working load limit on Crosby shackles with 1/2" pins (7/16" shackle) is just under the working load limit of my chain, but not by much. These were the best shackles I could find without going stainless. I feel pretty comfortable the set up.
I'd be interested to know if anyone has ever had a shackle fail in this context - apart from coming undone, which must also be pretty rare. I had to hacksaw a very worn anchor shackle a few years ago and even though it was at least half the width worn away, it was still incredibly tough to cut off. Since then i havent worried much about shackle strength...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor