Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2015, 16:19   #1

Boat: Searunner 37 1974 #25
Servicing lofrans project 1000 windlass

I have a 1990's Lofrans project 1000 windlass and I'm trying to remove it and service for the first time ( I just bought the boat a year ago). I'm trying to remove the gear housing and electric motor below the deck. I removed the four nuts holding it up hoping it would just drop down. So far no luck. It moves a little and I have used wd-40 to try to loosen it up. Is there something I'm missing? I'm guessing that the vertical shaft remains attached to the drum. Is that correct? Any ideas?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Captryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 16:35   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Servicing lofrans project 1000 windlass

I think the shaft is keyed at both ends but the motor and gear box should drop down off the shaft. It's a nice fit so keep at it. I would also remove the capstan and the gypsy and lube from the top also. You might be able to remove the shaft and everything from below once you remove the key from the shaft. It would also allow you to use a big rubber mallet from the top.
Stupid question maybe but you know that you can to rotate the assembly in the slotted mounting holes?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 16:49   #3

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my unit is so old it doesn't have the slotted mounting holes. I started to rotate the unit and noticed no slotted holes like the current online diagrams. Kind of surprised me. This unit is also lacking shaft keys. Instead it has a flat section cut into the shaft. Again contrary to current diagrams. I did spray PB blaster on upper section and tapped for awhile hoping it will work its way down. There is a little rust around base of the vertical shaft below the drum ( which I took off). I'm hoping to let it sit overnight.

Old 13-08-2015, 18:50   #4

Ok, now I remember how ours is. It has the flat spot on the top for the gypsy and the cones and drum. The key is is at the bottom of the drive. It's that bronze bushing you see at the end of the shaft. I had it all apart because the mounting flange had corroded away so Imtra sent me a complete gearbox assembly for the price of the housing (nice guys) The shaft will go either way without the key but only down with the key in place. It will come all the way down and out if you have the room So what I'm saying is you could probably beat it out without hurting anything. Then everything would come apart,
The new gear box is leaking oil from the bottom seal. I have the seal kit but I also know how much oil is inside from looking at the old one. I figure I have another year befor the oil level is to low, I hope.
Old 14-08-2015, 04:53   #5

Your information is very helpful...thanks. I plan to continue banging on it today and hopefully it will drop. I still don't see where the oil goes and I'm sure it is low. The system was running poorly last time I used it. I have a seal kit on the way so I plan to rebuild. I love the system and after you have a windlass you never want to go back! Thanks again for your help.

Old 14-08-2015, 07:57   #6

Boat: Tartan 37

I am currently in the market for a windlass and was set on the Maxwell RC8-8. One of the companies I'm working with who may do the installation is recommending the Lofrans Project Series 1000. It sounds like you've been happy with this unit yes?

Jesse
StuartSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 08:02   #7

I have a Lofrans as well, and with age it is not easy to separate them
What you need to do is remove the gypsy and drum on deck, and then remove the nuts holding the motor to the deck fitting.

Then take a shift to the shaft in the centre of the drive under the deck, and give the shift several hard hits with a hammer.

On deck you need 3 or 4 hardwood wedges, and as the deck fitting starts to lift up, insert the wedges, and evenly drive them in between the deck and the windlass, which helps the process. Return to the central shaft, and using the shift drive it up through the drive. At this point it all should start to move more easily, and the motor will then start to slide down, it is heavy so useful the first time to have another pair of hands.

Once you have got it apart, you need to check and replace the seals and bearings in the deck assembly. Having learnt the hard way, I now check all these annually, and with the windlass now in its 15th year, it is still working well. Good luck. Bob
Pipistrelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 08:25   #8

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Our new boat came with a project 1000 windlass. And thanks to the difficulty in removal, it was one of the only items not stolen before we got here (but they did get the solenoid). I've pulled the drum and motor off, but the gearbox is stuck on the shaft too. Good luck with your removal... I think I'll need a young priest and an old priest for mine.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-08-2015, 08:27   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartSailor View Post
I am currently in the market for a windlass and was set on the Maxwell RC8-8. One of the companies I'm working with who may do the installation is recommending the Lofrans Project Series 1000. It sounds like you've been happy with this unit yes?

Jesse
I can't say I have been happy with it. I am happy with the distributor. First off the chrome failed on the top, then the top seals leaked salt water down the drive shaft and corroded the gear box housing. Then the chain stripper failed completely due to some sea grass on the chain (it was dark.). The plastic spacer does not hold up, it should be a metal part. That left us with a jammed chain which would not go up or down. This of course happened in a storm. Now we have an oil leak.
Old 14-08-2015, 08:49   #10

This morning after soaking all night with BP Blaster, I found that I could tap the shaft from underneath and after a few blows-tada the gear housing dropped. Oil looked good but the sand/grit/dirt that came out of the upper housing was impressive (see pic). No telling the last time this unit was serviced. Took motor off and cleaned brushes. Motor tested fine. Now waiting on seal kit to rebuild. Thanks again for help. I will send results after rebuild and install.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1439566997.130755.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	107273  
Old 14-09-2021, 09:54   #11

Does the maintenance kit with all of the seals, keys, and so on come with instructions and tool recommendations. It's a simple enough device that I can probably figure it out, but far easier is to have step-by-step directions!
caseymichael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lofrans, wind, windlass