Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2015, 20:52   #16

Boat: FreeFlow 50 cat
Re: Sarca Excel in BC - Anyone else?

Thanks Mark, that's great feedback with specific information

I also am not one that cares too much for that preposition rule As Winston Churchill said when chided about it by his arch enemy in the British Parliament, "Well Madam, that is just the sort of infantile comment up with which I cannot put!"

There was some criticism of the Takacat by someone on the forum complaining that the inflated floor did not lock under the tubes or transom, and so bounced up and down when in choppy conditions, and I was wondering if you noticed anything similar. I suspect he did not have the floor inflated hard enough. Do you agree?
BigBeakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 06:44   #17

Boat: Seawind 1160 (38')

Sorry BigBeakie,

I mis-spoke. We purchased the Takacat Explorer series T340E.

We did have an opportunity to row the smallest Sport series - rowed fine in smooth water.

We also had an opportunity to row for a bit a Lite T340L (was quite satisfying). Properly inflated, the floor on that one is absolutely rigid. I suppose it is similar in structure to our inflatable stand up paddle board - that thing is amazingly rigid once inflated to about 11 psi; can't tell it from a wooden plank of the same dimensions (unless you pick it up).

We went with the Explorer over the Sport simply because of the perceived robustness of hypalon and our plan to be in very sunny environs, as well as the dinghy living on davits where it would roast.
JollyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2015, 19:27   #18

Hi Mark,

More good info from you, thanks

But we should take this over to the appropriate forum on Dinghys so others can also gain from your experience.

Takacat is mentioned in a couple of threads but I'll start a new thread on Takacat specifically. Ok with you?
Old 15-01-2015, 21:06   #19

Boat: Seawind 1160 (38')

Let's DO IT!
JollyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2015, 12:54   #20

OK, there is now a Takacat thread over at Auxillary Equipment & Dinghy....

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-01-2015, 22:35   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

What kind of deal is Anchor Right giving you and what is shipping going to cost?
I might be interested in a #8
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 00:05   #22

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

We have a sarca excel on a 40 foot sailboat in Australia, hooked to fifty metres of 3/8 chain. Toss it over, go to sleep. End of story.
Cherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 00:55   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

oops I meant to say a #7. Does anyone else think that would be the best size for my 46' 33,000 lb sailboat on the BC Coast?
thanks
Nick
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 11:07   #24

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshawdvm View Post
What kind of deal is Anchor Right giving you and what is shipping going to cost?
I might be interested in a #8
See #6 above for a #5 galvanized Excel to BC. I'm sure Rex will give you a price for a #8 to wherever you are. Just email him at: sales@anchorright.com.au
He's very quick to respond.
Neil
Old 19-01-2015, 11:08   #25

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherp View Post
We have a sarca excel on a 40 foot sailboat in Australia, hooked to fifty metres of 3/8 chain. Toss it over, go to sleep. End of story.
What size do you have?
Old 19-01-2015, 15:54   #26

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

We've had a Sarca Excel #6 on our Lagoon 380 for 18 months now. Yes its one size up from recommended, but after discussions with Rex, he thought it was prudent considering that our home cruising grounds are Far North Queensland, Australia, right bang in the cyclone belt. If you Google cyclone Larry & cyclone Yasi, Innisfail (to name just the most recent BIG ones) & you'll see what I mean. He also took into account that we were preparing the boat for long term live aboard.

I have little to compare it with as it replaced a 60lb Manson Plough.

It has held us first time, every time, in many differing substrates from coral rubble, hard & soft sand, weed grass & mud, & wind strengths, including up to 40 knots last year when we sheltered from a small category 2 cyclone that passed inland of us. Fortunately, we weren't in the direct path so winds were only moderate in comparison.

The Excel is worth every cent we paid for it & more. We anchor often out at the reef where its difficult to find sand patches without nearby 'bommies' lurking. I never slept well with the plough out there, now I sleep much, much better.

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2015, 01:16   #27

Thanks Dave! It's great to hear from Excel users about their positive experiences. Interesting to hear another confirmation of the good performance in coral rubble, a challenging test for any anchor. That was one of my main concerns about GBR cruising until I spoke to someone who tested several modern design anchors in coral rubble, and he settled on an Excel as well.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 02-02-2015, 00:26   #28

Boat: Seawind 1160

I'm another Seawind 1160 owner who has upgraded to a Sarca. (That's a 38 foot sailing catamaran for those unfamiliar.) The #5 anchor fits nicely on the factory roller.

The factory CQR did not inspire a lot of confidence, so it was ditched before we started our journey.

We are undergoing a slow circumnavigation of Australia and have inched our way from the Whitsundays to Darwin over the last year. The Excel has performed faultlessly in all conditions and bottom types we have encountered, allowing us to sleep at night with confidence.

It is uncanny how easy it is to set, and when I have had occasion to swim down and take a look (crocs permitting!) it has always impressed with how quickly and firmly it had dug in.

After a year of constant use, I just had it regalvanised here in Darwin and it looks as good as new.

I would have no problem recommending the Sarca Excel. Seawind 1160 owners who need to replace their anchors should have a serious look!
Old 02-02-2015, 15:59   #29

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoDave View Post
I'm another Seawind 1160 owner who has upgraded to a Sarca. (That's a 38 foot sailing catamaran for those unfamiliar.) The #5 anchor fits nicely on the factory roller.

The factory CQR did not inspire a lot of confidence, so it was ditched before we started our journey.

We are undergoing a slow circumnavigation of Australia and have inched our way from the Whitsundays to Darwin over the last year. The Excel has performed faultlessly in all conditions and bottom types we have encountered, allowing us to sleep at night with confidence.

It is uncanny how easy it is to set, and when I have had occasion to swim down and take a look (crocs permitting!) it has always impressed with how quickly and firmly it had dug in.

After a year of constant use, I just had it regalvanised here in Darwin and it looks as good as new.

I would have no problem recommending the Sarca Excel. Seawind 1160 owners who need to replace their anchors should have a serious look!
Would be good to see Seawind fitting them from the factory.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 16:16   #30

And would be good to see Anchor Right find a good agent in the US to handle their products!

The Excel is a bit of a "best kept secret"...and shouldn't be

Tags
arc