Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 19:28   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Rope or Chain?

i have yet to find a need for catenary in anchoring qith my boat and all chain rode. even in winds and chop, swell and tidal currents--no need. my anchor is properly sized and i use all chain rode and i have not any problem.
i watched a friend who continues to use rope to chain rode and catenary---as he hasnt enough weight with his set up, the added weight works.
enjoy anchoring.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 06:11   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i have yet to find a need for catenary in anchoring qith my boat and all chain rode. even in winds and chop, swell and tidal currents--no need. my anchor is properly sized and i use all chain rode and i have not any problem.
i watched a friend who continues to use rope to chain rode and catenary---as he hasnt enough weight with his set up, the added weight works.
enjoy anchoring.
Catanary is the weight of the chain (or whatever) being pulled to the seabed by gravity. Unless you're in outer space, it's affecting you.

It provides shock absorption as loads that would be exhibited on the anchor are instead absorbed by bringing rode off the seabed.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 07:51   #63

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Maybe it's a new concept?

Sorta like rod rigging.
Rod rode, no sag in the rode
Old 13-06-2013, 17:45   #64

Boat: csy 37

zeehag - could you tell us what kind/size anchor/chain you use for primary, secondary, tertiary?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 18:00   #65

csy--i use 5/16 for all my anchors. while underway it is stowed in lazarette, next to base of mizzenmast, as bow cannot tolerate this amount of chain. the boat is light for her marque, and i am not hesitant to place more weight into her. she rides best heavy, but load trim must be considered.
Old 13-06-2013, 18:02   #66

Boat: csy 37

i don't mean to be a pita, but what kind/size of anchors are you using?
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2013, 18:08   #67

my primary is a bruce, original, 33 kg, my secondary is a 45 pound cqr....i also have 3 or so others and more chain....i do not use rope rode except to kedge off a shoal, after a boat has grounded it.
Old 13-06-2013, 19:30   #68
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
enjoy anchoring.

Cantenary is caused by gravity and occurs within the length of chain. it is a bend in the chain that absorbs shock and makes the anchorage more secure. You don't have it if you don't put out enough chain (have it hanging straight down, for instance) but I'm sure you don't do that. So you have a cantenary effect on your rode when you anchor, I'm sure.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 09:18   #69

Boat: Rhodes 45'

The are no answers to boats. We want to think so but then there's another question as soon as you thought you had the answer. Each person goes with whatever they know as far as that knowing takes you.
The affordability of chain may sat you back in other equipment you would be better off with.
Setting the GPS alarm will warn you if you can or know how to set it. Practice when you don't need it so when you do it's dialed in. Chain is a pain on bottom paint and goes R_RRR_RRRR__RRR at every tide change. Chain is heavy and I am old. Better buy the windless with the proper gypsy, (not all chain fits the windless). I once saw a schooner dragging anchor through the fleet and it had no chain at all. One must have some chain to anchor or it will not get any grip. I am in love with a girl who stops when I jump off to cleat her and she co-oprerates. To have 300 feet of chain one must have very LARGE boat and a strong bow locker to hold it. It should be low in the boat or it will hobby horse or roll.
There are many sorts of anchors, many kinds of ground to anchor too. I have the new Rockna as well as a host of others. Affording the weight for multiple anchors is heavy, add the chain and it is a big investment for a small boat, (I need room for my Hormel chili).
The anchor is the international sign of good luck for a reason. The wind and water are the two most dynamic forces on the planet so getting a boat to stop can be a chore of some magnitude.
There are choices you make in the boatyard before going. They are the guess's and you'd better be right. That said there are no perfect solutions there are only trade offs.
Sorry, that's the way of the sea.
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 15:48   #70

Boat: 2008 Hunter 44DS

We opted for 300' of 5/16 G4 chain, but after we put it in the anchor locker we wondered if it was overkill.

For the most part, in 750 nights of anchoring out in Mexico, we used 120 to 150' of chain, so when we reversed it end-for-end after 2 years we had very virgin looking chain ready for use.

However, when we were caught by surprise on a lee shore in the Sea of Cortez in 40 knots of wind, it was really nice to let out all that chain and get a good night's sleep.

I would have been a lot more nervous with rope, as the bottom had some craggy rocks that the chain rubbed on.

We put out 250' or more of chain on 8-10 occasions in all those nights at anchor.

So, in our experience, we were happy to have chosen chain and we were happy to have purchased 300'.
settingsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2013, 00:34   #71

Boat: Rhodes 45'

I talk a lot, I hear a lot. I invest in what I feel is best and it is always great to hear more experiences before making a choice. Any contribution to report is good to the over all picture and should always be welcomed.
It may sound odd, but believe it or not, years before I was ever sailing or even on a boat I dreamed that I was asleep and worrying whether or not the anchor was slipping. I had to decide whether to wake up and go out on deck to check it or let myself fall asleep again.
It's an age old concern and if one chooses to fall back asleep it might be best to trade in the boat for a recliner. I feel worry is what makes a good sailor. He always has a list of worries he is working on to remedy.
Practical Sailor did a couple write ups on anchors. The second was not about what loads the rode or anchor could take but what were the actual loads or needs of the boat. How a boat moved in different settings and the the scenarios where the loads were greatest. It's a good read. The lightest anchor by the way, the "Fortress" held the best in it's type of ground (sand and mud) and in some cases held 5000 pounds. Which dispels the myth that the bigger and heavier -the better. It's made of aluminum and magnesium. Whatever the choice we make there are more considerations than just the rode. How many anchors and at what angle to the boat. The anchor is worth researching well because it is after all what the whole boat rests on.
Fitsthebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 16:57   #72

Weight of 3/8" chain is 1.68 pounds per foot
vinayfm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope