Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2013, 09:38   #31

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
All chain rode with a snubber is the only way to go. With part chain and part rope, you will eventually have an unpleasant experience.
Thanks for that. How much chain is all chain. Your experience with mixed rode would be good. Describe condition depth type of boat etc...
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43   #32

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Rope or Chain?

a chris craft - i would have thought the last thing you would want to do with a powerboat is jam half a ton of chain in the nose area. I would say a 36' sailboat is sort of on the cusp between being light enough to not need all chain and hence, not need a winch, and being heavy enough to need both. Probably the line is closer to 30'.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Thanks for that. How much chain is all chain. Your experience with mixed rode would be good. Describe condition depth type of boat etc...
Well... we now have a 25 ton boat, so we're able to carry 100 meters of 1/2 chain; the amount you'll be able to carry will depend on the boat and size of the chain. On our previous boat, a Hunter 450, I carried 200 feet of 5/16 inch chain (I think) and used a Rocna 60 pound anchor and a smaller Danforth before that.

Prior to extending the length of chain to 200 feet on the Hunter, I used 100 feet of chain spliced to 1 inch nylon rope (3 braid) and anchored out in Long Beach California for two months one winter within the harbor breakwater during several storms which whipped up winds in excess of 50 knots. The bottom was mud, thick gooey mud. After one of the storms when I'd let out all my rode (100 ft of chain and 100 ft of rope in 37 feet of water, when I pulled up the anchor, I noticed that the splice was heavily chaffed and didn't look as if it had much life left in it. So rather than hire a guy to redo the splice (which looked like new prior to the storm), I went down to the chandlery and purchased an additional 100 feet of chain for peace of mind, knowing that there would be no splice to chaff through again. Had I left the anchor in place and not checked the rode... who knows what could have happened during another blow by the Santa Ana winds... or if the storm had lasted a little longer. There must have been something sharp or medal down there on the bottom that snagged onto the smooth rope where it met the chain at the spice.

I just decided after looking at the almost failed splice, that I was never again going to leave myself vulnerable to that sort of failure. Our Oyster 53 has always had 100 percent chain rode with a snubber.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:50   #34

So 200 feet of chain would have worked.
Old 01-06-2013, 13:33   #35
cruiser

200 feet of chain would not have chaffed, and since the boat held the bottom fast with the 60 pound Rocna anchor and 50/50 rope chain mix, it's safe to assume the all chain rode would also have held. Some will argue that the 50% rope rode provided an element of elasticity which aided during the storm, but I'm convinced using all chain with a snubber is the way to go.

In order to properly figure out the necessary length of rode, just figure out what's the deepest spot you intend to anchor, then multiply by 10 in order to be able to lay down a 1:10 ratio of depth to rode under the absolute worst storm situation. Most of the time, you'll only be using 1:5 or possibly 1:7 if the anchorage is uncrowded and you plan to go ashore. 1:3 is OK during a lunch stop while you remain onboard. In other words, nearly 80 feet of chain will remain in your locker at all times and rarely get used... but when you need it.... you'll really NEED it.
Old 01-06-2013, 13:42   #36

So all chain and a snubber is not the only way to go. Primary chain with options is better. Especially if weight and performance are a concern.
Old 01-06-2013, 13:49   #37
cruiser

Quote:
So all chain and a snubber is not the only way to go. Primary chain with options is better. Especially if weight and performance are a concern.
You can do it which ever way you want. BUT... 100% chain will not chaff and break. Your way with "options" can and will eventually fail under the right set of circumstances.

I guess it all comes down to how well you want to sleep at night while at anchor.
Old 01-06-2013, 14:00   #38

Whistling is good. Having the right gear down for a given use is what is best. Long term anchoring with short chain and rhode is very different then cruising with substantial chain and line that extends the scope when needed. Why giving advise that all chain is the only way is bad advice. All chain for long term mooring might be okay. That would depend on how it was set up.
Old 01-06-2013, 14:07   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Whistling is good. Having the right gear down for a given use is what is best. Long term anchoring with short chain and rhode is very different then cruising with substantial chain and line that extends the scope when needed. Why giving advise that all chain is the only way is bad advice. All chain for long term mooring might be okay. That would depend on how it was set up.
Then do whatever you want to do. Whatever floats your boat.

I just discovered the ignore function.... it works great!
Old 01-06-2013, 14:15   #40

Brilliant all rope rode is great cause I used it once. Just because you long term anchored with inadequate gear does not make it so. Putting me on ignore is fine making blanket statements as fact will still get challenged.
Old 01-06-2013, 18:00   #41

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
chain; 150-200 ft with rope spliced after that.

Do you mean rope spliced into the chain?
Or rope with a spliced thimble connecting to the chain with a shackle?

Sorry that I need clarity.
If you mean the first arrangement then why would it be better than the spliced thimble?
It sure looks intricate but I know nothing of it's integrity.
What are it's advantages?
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 18:16   #42

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

The rope spliced to the chain directly will pass through the windlass and hawse pipe when a thimble won't.
Old 01-06-2013, 18:22   #43

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
The rope spliced to the chain directly will pass through the windlass and hawse pipe when a thimble won't.
excuse me for missing that, I've yet to use a windless.
thanks
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 19:03   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

You surely don't want a rope chain splice for serious cruising. You need a good thimble (hard to find these days) and a shackle. That way you can also carry a good length of maybe 75 5/16" 7 x 19 wire to use as an extension if needed in a deep rough bottom.

In reality there are few areas where you can't just but a fender on the thimble to keep the line say 20' off the bottom and have 90' or so feet of chain. I plan to carry around 90' 5/16" of chain on my cat and the rest line with maybe a length of backup wire.

I cruised the south pacific with 270' of 1/4" HT chain on a 35' 9 ton monohull and maybe used 240' one time in a remote anchorage in Vanuatu. My next boat I went with 180' knowing that would be more than enough and I of course had several other 30' lengths of chain for other anchors on board. The cat will have 100' of chain max onboard.

IMO you're better off with a shorter length of heavier chain. I would have no more than 180' of 5/16" as opposed to 270 or 1/4 HT. The lighter chain bounces around too much and in actual storm conditions will shock the anchor out of the bottom regardless of the amount of scope used.
Old 01-06-2013, 19:30   #45

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
excuse me for missing that, I've yet to use a windless.
thanks
Glad to help on the rare occasion that I can.

Tags
rope