Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 06:51   #61

Boat: 55' Romsdal
Re: Rocna vs Manson Supreme Anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Wow,

A bit of nostalgia today reading this this thread...l

Early on, my being accused of racism by Craig Smith for suggesting Rocnas move to China was going to hurt quality.... All back before Destructive testing proved Rocna had really taken a dive....

Old threads... Good times, good times.
Wow, indeed. Especially since at the time Craig Smith was demanding proof from you that the new Chinese Rocnas were substandard relative to their stated requirements for construction, he knew they were. Ironic, yes?
Old 21-07-2013, 17:21   #62

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
We have a 60lb boss which is wildly oversized for our boat. We didn't realize it at the time of ordering it but the surface area is comically large compared to say a 60lb supreme.

Though we're not cruising we got caught in a squall off of Dauphine Island, AL along the gulf coast where we had it deployed. Held us through a 180 degree wind shift with 50mph winds for about 2 hours. The seas by the end of it were extremely choppy, so much so that I could see the front half of the keel of the boat anchored beside us. The boss didn't move an inch. Sandy mud bottom which was ideal for anchoring. So not at all a definitive report on the boss, but I haven't seem many other people putting their experiences out there. Hope that helps.
I was curious about the Boss myself, but for some reason Manson really markets it as a Powerboat Anchor. Seems strange to me given the larger surface area would translate into greater holding power particularly in mud, and the anchor's design rights itself without the roll bar. When I contacted Manson directly for a recommendation, they suggested the Supreme. Don't know why they are reluctant to recommend it for sailboats.
jigray3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 17:44   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigray3 View Post
I was curious about the Boss myself, but for some reason Manson really markets it as a Powerboat Anchor. Seems strange to me given the larger surface area would translate into greater holding power particularly in mud, and the anchor's design rights itself without the roll bar. When I contacted Manson directly for a recommendation, they suggested the Supreme. Don't know why they are reluctant to recommend it for sailboats.
The Boss is for boats that can't accommodate the roll bar. The Supreme is a better anchor, pound for pound.
Old 22-07-2013, 09:44   #64

How does the mantas anchor perform compared to these two other new style anchors?? The price is attractive
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 09:49   #65

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
How does the mantas anchor perform compared to these two other new style anchors?? The price is attractive
I don't know of any objective tests, but the manufacturers propaganda looks impressive. My understanding is that the shank is mild steel, which would not take much of a side load to bend. It also looks larger overall than a comparable weighted Manson or Rocna. The cheaper price is likely a reflection of cheaper materials in construction. If the shank isn't mild steel, please correct me, but if it is, that is not the material to use for a thin piece of metal like the Mantus shank.
Old 22-07-2013, 10:48   #66

I have a 45 lb. Manson Supreme I use on my 42 foot boat. I have been quite happy with it. I picked it over the Rocna because I didn't see anything in the Rocna to justify the increased price.
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:09   #67

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

When I was at the boat show here in Ca. this spring, I was looking at the "Super holding power anchors". The three main players are Rocna, Manson Supreme and Mantus. I had purchased a Mantus chain hook which I felt was a superior design... Mantus Chain Hook | MantusAnchors
Looking at his anchor it was a copy in design of course of the prior 2 designs with enough slight changes as not to infringe too much on their patents. It was a break down design, meaning bolted together. I did not know how this offered any advantage to the design as I always stowed my main anchor on the bow roller. I mean who would want to anchor and have to assemble an anchor. After talking to the owner, I surmised that it was probably for shipping advantages for himself, improving his profit margin. One of his key selling points was a demonstration of its great lateral rolling (up-righting) ability. Although on a hard table the advantage looked better than his competition but in reality, the advantage would be miniscule lying on the bottom of a sea bed where different forces are in play. I had been leaning toward the Manson Supreme anyways and went to look at their anchor. Here is where the curse of being a Toolmaker/Machinist/Engineer come into play. I know poor craftsmanship when I see it. The welds were deplorable. Obvious gap filling areas, as well as pieces of MIG wire here and there. Saw cut marks indicating poor finishing. If this is what I can see visually, what else could be wrong. I asked the slick Willy salesman selling it about the welds. His response was..."Oh that's how they reinforce it...Built like a tank". I felt obligated to educate him in front of a few potential customers on the attributes of craftsmanship.
Finally the Rocna. A lot of negativity had been given to the Rocna. Mostly due to the original owner of the company being such an ass on the forum. He had been a real turn-off. The company that owns the design now is Canadian. Checking them out, the welds look text book, metal work was superior and the prices had been lowered to compete with the others.
The Rocna 35lb. is rated for 26-39ft. boat. I figured because I needed a primary and plan to anchor out more often than not, I would size up and get the 44lbs. that is rated for a 30-46ft. boat.
I had an original "Bruce" anchor (44lbs.), on a Bruce anchor roller. Placing the Rocna on it presented a minor fit problem. 5 minutes with my grinder and a cut-off wheel cured that problem. It fits but just barely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocna.jpg
Views:	1358
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	64462   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rocna1.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	64463  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 14:57   #68

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

It seems like all the anchors being made have some "quality control issues"...one guy says his anchor is perfect....another says it's poorly constructed. Whatever anchor you buy...inspect it thoroughly and make sure it meets your or a well educated observers standards. Unfortunately looks can be deceiving and only destructive testing or another exotic means will tell for sure it's up to it's specs (though it's easy to see many defects).

If I was making anchors...I would make sure they work well and hold together...pretty is nice but it does usually costs extra in one way or another.

If an anchor holds certifications...and is from a reputable company...just make sure you didn't get a bad one.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 15:15   #69

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

The welds were never the problem.. No reported failures of the welds in either the Manson or the Rocna.... The problem was when Rocna moved production to China they opted for a much weaker steel then they were advertising, and lots of folks had problems with Rocnas bending the shank.....

... Hope yours works out well for you, Manson Supreme, Rocna, and the Mantus are all likely to set and hold well. I suspect you will be very happy with it.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 16:51   #70

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
The welds were never the problem.. No reported failures of the welds in either the Manson or the Rocna.... The problem was when Rocna moved production to China they opted for a much weaker steel then they were advertising, and lots of folks had problems with Rocnas bending the shank.....

... Hope yours works out well for you, Manson Supreme, Rocna, and the Mantus are all likely to set and hold well. I suspect you will be very happy with it.
Correct. That was before they changed hands to the Canadian company. While still made in China, the materials are over-seen.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 09:11   #71

Boat: Shopping...

The Rocna 44 lbs sells now for $55 less than the Manson Supreme 45lbs and Rocna lifetime warranty covers bent and deformation.

When I bought my Rocna, 2 years ago, it was about a hundred $ more expensive than the Supreme...Go figure.

Tags
anchor, rocna