Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2011, 13:01   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986
Rocna Size

Ok so I have made up my mind (I think) I am going to go with a Rocna as my primary and Delta as my secondary and CQR in the hold as a back up and a Fortress in the locker as a stern anchor.

I have a 41' Cheoy Lee Pedrick. Book size on the Rocna is to use a #40 but I am considering uping to the #55.

I will carry both anchors on the bow when coastal and remove the Delta when on passage.

How does this sound to the group and would you go with the upsized Rocna.

Having my double bow roller designed now and need to buy my anchors for a proper mock-up and fit.

(I as also installing a Maxwell 1500 to do the work)

Thanks all, Captain Randy
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 13:14   #2

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
Re: Rocna Size

Randy, I have a 33kg Rocna and love the thing. The recomended size is 2 down from what i got on my boat... but love knowing the thing is down there. Best thing on the boat so far.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 13:16   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

get the bigger one, just a few dollars more and the peace of mind alone is worth it!
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 13:23   #4

Boat: N/M 45

What will the rode be, and what's the displacement of the boat?

I purchased a Suncoast-built Rocna 25kg for my 45' 21,500 pound IOR two tonner, attached to 275' 5/16" G4 chain (chain is also attached to 300 feet of 5/8" 3-strand nylon, which normally doesn't go into the water).

The anchor size/weight was the recommended size based on conversation with Peter at Rocna and Mark at Suncoast (which was as specified in their sizing chart).

Anchor has worked fine for me so far. Peter's statement was that his anchor was specified at the right size (no need to upsize in fear the manufacturer was over-selling the anchor's ability).

If you've got the room bigger can be better, though I see no requirement to upsize a Rocna from the size that they specify will work for your boat.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 13:24   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

With any anchor, the bigger the better. Mine is two sizes bigger than specified - 121 pounds

Go for it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 13:39   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Honestly, I think it's better to size an anchor by a boat's displacement than by its length. Telling us that it's a 41' boat doesn't give us the most important part of the formula.
Old 22-04-2011, 14:13   #7

Boat: N/M 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
I have a 41' Cheoy Lee Pedrick. Book size on the Rocna is to use a #40 but I am considering uping to the #55.

How does this sound to the group and would you go with the upsized Rocna.
If a Cheoy Lee Pedric 41' has a displacement of 23,000 pounds (which I saw on a for sale listing for that design), I would select the 25kg anchor.

The rocna sizing chart places that length/displacement slightly outside the upper limit of the 20kg anchor.

- rob/beetle
beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:32   #8

Boat: CS 36t

How and where are you going to use the anchor? Do you always stay in marinas or on moorings or do you always anchor out? Do you see your anchor as a vital piece of safety gear in things like squalls? Do you plan to possibly ever anchor out in a large storm?

Bigger is better is still true but it would be silly to upsize too much if your anchor is just a bow ornament. Given that you said the word passages, I would guess that you will actually use it and upsizing does make sense but that may not be correct. Keep in mind that Rocna has one of the most conservative sizing charts to start with. If it were me and you were actually going to use the anchor a decent amount, I would select at least the 25 kg. If the anchor plays into a storm plan or you routinely anchor in extreme conditions, you might even consider a larger size.
klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:35   #9
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I wouldn't think you'd need to go beyond the 25 kg anchor. That's the size Rocna I use on a 46" 15-ton boat, and I've never dragged mine.
Old 22-04-2011, 14:57   #10
cruiser

The only thing I didn't see mentioned was windlass. Can your windlass handle the extra weight? If so, I'd always go for the larger anchor. I'm using the 55kg model on my 40 ton boat.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 14:58   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Before making your final decision on the Rocna you should at least read the other thread on here called "Rocna Anchor Fail" concerning possible issues with regard to construction integrity.

My personal opinion is that if you need much more weight than 1 pound per foot of overall length you are getting an inefficient anchor. A 45-pounder in a CQR or Delta would be plenty for that boat, so I imagine that is around the size I would choose in a Rocna or Manson.
Old 22-04-2011, 15:14   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
My personal opinion is that if you need much more weight than 1 pound per foot of overall length you are getting an inefficient anchor.
I think generalized rules like that are quite worthless without knowing the boat specifics. While I can probably get away with an 80 lb anchor on my 40 ton, 53 foot boat, I doubt I'd sleep very well with a 53 lb one.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2011, 15:27   #13

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Let's put it this way, my 38-foot motorsailor displaces around 22,000 lbs. so it's pretty close to the OP's boat, and with my pilothouse I may even have more windage. I sleep very well with a 45 lb. Bulwagga anchor down, and prior to that I also slept well with a 45 lb. CQR, and I frequently sleep very well when hanging on a 15 lb. Fortress FX-23. My Bulwagga and Fortress have been tested in winds up to 56 knots with poor holding and short scope. Once an anchor is dug in weight has very little to do with holding power.
Old 22-04-2011, 15:50   #14

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

One can't argue against a weighty anchor unless it won't fit on the boat or one is unable to deploy/retrieve it without injury. Was your Rocna made in NZ or China? I've heard word "on the strait" (pun intended) that the Chinese-made don't have the metal strength of the Kiwi's.
Old 22-04-2011, 16:03   #15

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Quote:
Your initial post shows #40, and #55. Rocna sizes their anchors by Kg, so you are looking at 88lb, and 121lb anchors. That is somewhat overkill, and either would more than do the job. You did not mention the chain size/length, but depending on your choice, the Maxwell 1500 may be undersized for this tackle.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rocna