Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2019, 19:13   #61

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: Rocna roll bar

We have a Spade anchor, it doesn't have a roll bar and it always grabs even in weed bottoms. These type of anchors lay on their side and the point digs in they can never land upside down just like cats.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 20:22   #62

Boat: Athol Burns Offshore Motor Yacht

I would strongly advise not to remove it.

The Rocna is a great anchor and the design does not have any unneeded parts to it. If it didn't need a roll bar why would they put it there in the first place?
Ok, so you can see it in the clear water, but on a dark and stormy night when the wind comes up and you swing 180 degrees you may regret removing it, and so will those downwind of you!
There are a lot of anchor tests and videos which should reassure you that you do not need to meddle with it.

Independent tests have demonstrated that the ROCNA is one of the best performing anchors you can get.

Plan for the worst scenarios, not the ones of a perfect day when you can see the bottom. Having sailed around the world I can say that there are certainly times when you are super glad you have a well designed and big anchor!
stinkpots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 22:49   #63

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

This is a ludicrous thread TBH... just get a spade, vulcan or ultra and be done with it. I too have started to worry about the rollbar catching weed or worse, a clump of clay and not being able to reset on a wind shift...i've had no problems yet, but have heard of a few, and it makes logical sense seeing what the rocna dredges up on occasion. But cutting off the rollbar of an anchor designed for one, which is used as the first line of defense for keeping your boat / home safe is insane. When i get some more scratch together, I'll go with an Ultra oversized. Made to bury like the rocna, no rollbar to catch weed or stop it from going deep into the substrate, bigger will fit in bow roller, and stainless so the mud slides off. Seems like the best anchor today. Except for the price.... ouch!
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:03   #64

Boat: Beneteau 343

I got to thinking, I bet you could trade your Rocna for a spade or delta. I would have done that trade for sure.
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:18   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Buy a Sarca Excel. Job done. Just back from s month on a friends boat. The roll bar anchor never and I mean never set first time. Very frustrating.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:44   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCoastSailor View Post
I got to thinking, I bet you could trade your Rocna for a spade or delta. I would have done that trade for sure.
Really, I have a 10kg Rocna, do you have a similar Spade anchor you can trade for it? The Spade is twice the price of a similar sized Rocna in the UK btw
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:00   #67

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Buy a Sarca Excel. Job done. Just back from s month on a friends boat. The roll bar anchor never and I mean never set first time. Very frustrating.

Interesting.
Which roll bar anchor? I bet not a mantus but instead a rocna or Manson...
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:22   #68
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Interesting.
Which roll bar anchor? I bet not a mantus but instead a rocna or Manson...
Manson Supreme
Old 07-09-2019, 08:23   #69

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

I'm not sure the true motive behind hacking off your roll bar. It obviously fit without it and hasnt failed you yet.

Why change something that works for you, especially when it comes to an anchor?

FFS, if you want an anchor without a roll bar and are being cheap, contact a maker such as Spade and get one of their demo anchors for half price.

It's your choice to hack it off or not, but dont dismiss the "masses" comments. Many have vast experience and have been cruising a long time, with tens of thousands of miles under their belt
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:46   #70

Quote:
Manson Supreme

Yup. My experience similar with rocna and completely different/better with mantus. I think the heavier shank and smaller rollbar of Manson and rocna can be a problem in softer substrates
Old 07-09-2019, 16:43   #71

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Manson Supreme
thread drift warning...

I can but wonder where you were cruising. We have been cruising on the East Coast of Oz for many years now, covering Lizard to SW Cape more than a few times. We use a 60 lb Supreme on 10 mm chain and have had quite the opposite experience to yours in that the only times it has failed to set first time have been when it landed on some foreign stuff such as plastic tarps, some board shorts and a towel. It has dragged a couple of times in very soupy river bed silt and harsh conditions coupled with a 180 degree shift, and once in Port Davey in soft mud and 60+ knots sustained wind.

No anchor is infallible in all bottoms, but your condemnation of the Supreme seems at odds with reality for most users.

Jim
Old 08-09-2019, 06:36   #72
Marine Service Provider

And yet it’s a simple fact. I was very surprised about how consistently it failed to grab. Once in it was fine. But it never set first go. Brisbane Double island point Great sandy straits. Wathumba Rooney point lady Musgrave pancake creek.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:21   #73

So ironic after I get finished saying how the mantus hasn’t failed to set- last night anchoring in a known cove I dragged the anchor 50 yards without setting. Hmmm....[emoji35]
And then on retrieval for reset I thought the windlass was straining a bit. The anchor had snagged a random 8 foot piece of dock piling from the bottom. Of all the luck. Lassoed one end below water with a line, dropped the anchor fast, released the piling. Went upwind 100 yards and dropped the anchor and like usual set instantly and hard.
Every anchor can fail to set [emoji3]
Old 08-09-2019, 20:04   #74

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
And yet it’s a simple fact. I was very surprised about how consistently it failed to grab. Once in it was fine. But it never set first go. Brisbane Double island point Great sandy straits. Wathumba Rooney point lady Musgrave pancake creek.
Hmm...

By strange coincidence, we are currently anchored off the mouth of Snapper Creek (Tin Can Bay) and in the past fortnight we too have left anchorage in Moreton Bay and thence to Pumicestone, Noosa, DIP, Yankee Jack, Kingfisher, Rooney, Susan River, Yankee Jack, across from Pelican and to here. Not once has our Manson failed to set on first go... just as in the 16 years of previous experience with the anchor. (Actually two of them, for I got the first one snagged in the Gordon river and had to abandon it. Replaced with another one which works just the same as the first).

This performance is similar to that of a few friends who also have Supremes. I'm left with the thought that either your specific example has some flaw or your technique has some flaw. I doubt if you will agree to this interpretation, but how else can you explain the extreme difference in performance?

Jim
Old 08-09-2019, 21:19   #75
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Hmm...

By strange coincidence, we are currently anchored off the mouth of Snapper Creek (Tin Can Bay) and in the past fortnight we too have left anchorage in Moreton Bay and thence to Pumicestone, Noosa, DIP, Yankee Jack, Kingfisher, Rooney, Susan River, Yankee Jack, across from Pelican and to here. Not once has our Manson failed to set on first go... just as in the 16 years of previous experience with the anchor. (Actually two of them, for I got the first one snagged in the Gordon river and had to abandon it. Replaced with another one which works just the same as the first).

This performance is similar to that of a few friends who also have Supremes. I'm left with the thought that either your specific example has some flaw or your technique has some flaw. I doubt if you will agree to this interpretation, but how else can you explain the extreme difference in performance?

Jim
I think my technique is okay? Sarca Excel never fails to set, nor Super Sarca, have had very occasional failures with Rocna, actually had less failures to set with genuine CQRs!! I have never used a Mantus. So it might very well be the anchor. The supremes have a good name and reputation and I was as mentioned very surprised about how reliably unreliable it was setting first time.

Tags
rocna