Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 22:41   #16

Re: Rocna repositioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Cotemar, the video shows the problematic side to hoop anchors. Granted this is an on land test but I think its still instructive where heavier seabeds or weeds are present. Start watching around 1 minute in.

This is not to say the Manson Supreme or Rocna are not fine anchors - they are and a great improvement on many older designs, but the hoop is not part of the improvement, IMHO.

Kind of misleading. Let's see him dump out 300' of chain, my 62lb manson supreme, and retry that test. That's a tiny ass anchor there (based on how the guy is picking it up and tossing it about) and that tractor is putting out some serious pull.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 23:07   #17
cruiser

Next time you buy an anchor, have a look at the Quickline Ultra Anchor from Turkey, the thing is awesome, no ugly roll bar and digs in within it's own length every time, Stops the boat dead and doesn't collect all the bottom crud like the roll bar types. The fellow anchored next to me who's probably reading this thread has had his for three years. I've used a Danforth, Over-sized Rocna and CQR in the past & this one is the best of the bunch.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:59   #18

Boat: MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Cotemar, the video shows the problematic side to hoop anchors. Granted this is an on land test but I think its still instructive where heavier seabeds or weeds are present. Start watching around 1 minute in.

This is not to say the Manson Supreme or Rocna are not fine anchors - they are and a great improvement on many older designs, but the hoop is not part of the improvement, IMHO.

Another thing the vid is not taking into account is the angle on the chain. They are pulling it straight which is an improper angle for it dig like it was made for. I know any time I have set my anchor the rode was not at the same angle as the anchor.
willardj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:14   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

out here in the real world i have watched as folks with their brand new boats and brand new anchors..yes rocnas or wtf with a hoop thing--try and try to anchor--seems my good old original bruce still sets faster and for longer in a good breeze than many of these overly touted fancy pants expensive ones...i was offered a used rocna in 2010 for 500 usd---i bought the bruce instead, for 200usd, and am most pleased with my decision. i can set in rocks--seems rocna had trouble setting into rocks in zihuatenejo, when i was watching folks try to anchor there.....
is good the price went down on new ones, as the thousands required to purchase one in 2010 was absurd.
i see many more bruce anchors and cqrs out here than the new ones.....unless one polls the newbs, not many old cruisers using new anchors. mebbe the new pricing will bring out more--we wait to see....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:04   #20

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
i see many more bruce anchors and cqrs out here than the new ones.....unless one polls the newbs, not many old cruisers using new anchors. mebbe the new pricing will bring out more--we wait to see....
Interesting observation. I have been observing anchors on boats in the Caribbean for the past 5 years, where new gen anchors have been increasing dramatically.

I would estimate that 50-60% of all boats I see cruising in the Western Carib now have Rocna, Supreme or Spade as their primary anchor. It may actually be higher. The next most common anchors are Delta and Buegel. Bruce and CQR are getting very rare as primaries (in particular CQR's), although many still have them hanging on the bow as secondaries.

And many of these new gen anchors are on old cruising boats with seasoned cruisers who specifically made the decision to sink money in a new anchor even though their old one was still in working shape. In particular, there seems to have been a mass migration to new gen anchors in the past 2yrs. Maybe they have become more commonly available in these grounds.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:09   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
out here in the real world i have watched as folks with their brand new boats and brand new anchors..yes rocnas or wtf with a hoop thing--try and try to anchor--seems my good old original bruce still sets faster and for longer in a good breeze than many of these overly touted fancy pants expensive ones...i was offered a used rocna in 2010 for 500 usd---i bought the bruce instead, for 200usd, and am most pleased with my decision. i can set in rocks--seems rocna had trouble setting into rocks in zihuatenejo, when i was watching folks try to anchor there.....
is good the price went down on new ones, as the thousands required to purchase one in 2010 was absurd.
Yeah, those fancy pants posers with their stupid modern boats and new fangled stuff don't know squat about the real world.
Anything designed after, let's say, 1927 is a joke.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:23   #22

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
Yeah, those fancy pants posers with their stupid modern boats and new fangled stuff don't know squat about the real world.
Anything designed after, let's say, 1927 is a joke.
No, 1929. The great depression caused most to start cutting corners...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53   #23

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Interesting observation. I have been observing anchors on boats in the Caribbean for the past 5 years, where new gen anchors have been increasing dramatically.

I would estimate that 50-60% of all boats I see cruising in the Western Carib now have Rocna, Supreme or Spade as their primary anchor. It may actually be higher. The next most common anchors are Delta and Buegel. Bruce and CQR are getting very rare as primaries (in particular CQR's), although many still have them hanging on the bow as secondaries.

And many of these new gen anchors are on old cruising boats with seasoned cruisers who specifically made the decision to sink money in a new anchor even though their old one was still in working shape. In particular, there seems to have been a mass migration to new gen anchors in the past 2yrs. Maybe they have become more commonly available in these grounds.

Mark
I would second that opinion.

I too made the switch from a primary CQR to a Rocna and, on my just concluded cruise south, found the performance differences like night and day. 100 plus nights on the hook and no issues!

My wife also noticed the differences (she is at the wheel when backing down on the anchor) and told me she feels much safer at night with the Rocna as compared to the CQR. This is not to say that the Rocna is the best, but my take away is that the new generation of anchors easily best the CQR/Bruce/Danforth types of the past. That said, I still carry a Danforth High Tensile, as well as a Fortress.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58   #24

Boat: PT-11
Danforth AND a Fortress?
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:00   #25

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch

Anyone have good/bad experiences with a Delta anchor.
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:15   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Anyone have good/bad experiences with a Delta anchor.
Nope always worked well for me and they are good enough for our lifeboat Institution as well.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:19   #27

Boat: Contest 38S ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to Tumbles
I have a 20kg Delta, fabulous anchor used with 8mm chain. Always sets, turns faultlessly and breaks out easily with a vertical pull. Held us for 3 days in 30kn+ winds without moving an inch over sand/mud. What is not to like?
Tumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:20   #28

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
I have a manson supreme and it's never, ever, not set. It's popped loose a couple of times with 180 tide changes but always resets quickly enough and digs deep. Regardless of what manufacturers say, people with manson supremes are a pretty happy lot.
+1. I call it my sleeping pill. Has nothing to do with being latest and greatest. I own/have used Bruce, Danforth, Delta, CQR. The Manson is so much better at initial and extended holding. Not a great fit on the roller but I really only care about how it sets and holds.

I am not here to convince you to buy a Manson/new gen anchor. I really do not care unless you anchor in front of me in a blow. And a lot of anchoring success is derived from technique, not just the anchor design.

As for the tractor video, there is so much there that is not true to real world boating/anchoring conditions.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:34   #29

Boat: Lagoon 440

Really this whole re-setting thing goes down the poop chute if the neck is choked with a clod of bottom held together with roots and weed.

Many a time i've had to remove 25 kilo's of turf. 'Tis the price you pay for an anchor that digs deep albeit in certain ground.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:40   #30
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

evry type o fbottom has a different need in anchoring, duh.....
her einmud and rockville with some sand, is bruce territory. caribean is sandand coral...different needs..
the only anchor that dragged here in barra since i arrived was a delta that was placed without being set-- by a guy in a catamaran. one other boat--a monohull, also dragged here while hooked with a fortress. this is silt over clay with softer silt on the silt....and daily 20-30 kt winds.....nce flat water, but mixed bottom. my bruce sets very easily and well in this stuff. so does my neighbors cqr..
the new cruisers who claim under one year here are using some of the newer anchors--on the bows of the longer term cruisers here in tropical mexico i have seen a mix which includes heavy on the cqr and bruce and then delta then the manson and rocna types in fewer numbers thani thought would be here....i mean, doesnt every cruiser just run right out to buy the newest and coolest things on the market????
the cruisers i have met who were coming up from panama and carib have been keeping their cqrs on their bows. saw some bruces coming from south america and panama...i am always interested in seeing what folks are carrying from their long passages and worldly adventures. i enjoy, also the responses from them as to the value of their choices....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna