Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 18:45   #46
cruiser

Re: Rocna made in PRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but when it comes to ground tackle [especially] I want to see: Made in Scotland, NZ, UK, or USA.

Say what you will, but peace of mind in a tough spot is hard to put a value on...
Don't forget Turkey. The Ultra anchor is made in Turkey.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 19:16   #47

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
In a nutshell, Rocnas were built in NZ prior to 2007 - small scale with good oversight. From 2007 - 2011 they were built under license by Hold Fast, a Kiwi company that had them manufactured in China without sufficient quality control; these were the sketchy years. Since late 2011, CMP (Canadian) has held the license and has them built in China with solid oversight from the smelting of the raw materials through all stages of production. It's not like they're keeping it a secret: Rocna re-licensing & historical steel quality issues

I like my Rocna.
I've had two Rocnas, one 33lb. from NZ and one 44lb. from the post 2011 period in China. I was very happy with both of them. I still use the 44lb. as my primary on my current boat.
Old 04-11-2015, 01:05   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Buy a Manson Supreme. Made in NZ, better design and quality than a Rocna.

Again, one gets what one pays for.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 19:23   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Woods View Post
China is a disaster waiting to happen for any company doing business there. Its generally not the fault of the Chinese manufacturer they hire to make the product. The supply chain between your manufacturer and raw materials suppliers is so corrupted you have know idea what you're going to get. Rocna will pay the price eventually.
Canada Metal owns the factory they make Rocna and Vulcan anchors in. They control quality themselves. They also know a thing or two about galvanizing - they also own Martyr and MG Duff anodes - they are the largest anode manufacturer in the world.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 19:37   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Canada Metal owns the factory they make Rocna and Vulcan anchors in. They control quality themselves. They also know a thing or two about galvanizing - they also own Martyr and MG Duff anodes - they are the largest anode manufacturer in the world.
Then how do you explain post #1?
Old 04-11-2015, 19:41   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Then how do you explain post #1?
Canada Metal does not say anywhere that the anchors - or any of their other products - are made in Canada. The distributor the op purchased the anchor from has an incorrect ad. I own a Rocna - and sell them as well - and have had zero issues, not even a crooked label on any.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 21:38   #52
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. In a nutshell, Rocnas were built in NZ prior to 2007 - small scale with good oversight. From 2007 - 2011 they were built under license by Hold Fast, a Kiwi company that had them manufactured in China without sufficient quality control; these were the sketchy years. Since late 2011, CMP (Canadian) has held the license and has them built in China with solid oversight from the smelting of the raw materials through all stages of production. It's not like they're keeping it a secret: Rocna re-licensing & historical steel quality issues
I bought a Rocna in 2007, from Canada, before they were sold in the US.
Pretty sure my anchor was made in Canada back then
The Chinese fiasco came a few years later.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:27   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I notified Rocna about the error on the distributors website. Following is the reply I received.

“Thank you for pointing this out, we were not aware of this issue. This banner was mistakenly posted by one of our dealers on their website, and was not generated or authorized by Canada Metal (Pacific) Limited or Rocna Anchors. We have always been clear on the Rocna website as to our manufacturing location (http://rocna.com/our-story/rock-solid-technology). Now that we have been made aware of this error we have contacted the dealer, and they have removed the banner. We apologize for any confusion this may have caused.”

If you follow the link, there is a very good description of their quality control process.

CSY, I don't think they were ever made in Canada. The company is Canada Metals but all of their production is in China. I'm headed to the Rocna booth at FLIBS now. I'll ask them.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:33   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Csy, yup your anchor some were made in Canada from 2004 through 2007.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:52   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Canada Metal does not say anywhere that the anchors - or any of their other products - are made in Canada. The distributor the op purchased the anchor from has an incorrect ad. I own a Rocna - and sell them as well - and have had zero issues, not even a crooked label on any.
My feelings toward Rocna... "Once bitten, twice shy."
Old 05-11-2015, 12:57   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There is a free seminar put on by Rocna at pier B at 11:30 am tomorrow.
Come by and annoy them.
Old 05-11-2015, 23:57   #57
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. Csy, yup your anchor some were made in Canada from 2004 through 2007.
Yup, I thought so.
I bought my 20 kg Rocna before the China problems occurred..
Used it many times and was impressed with it.
Next anchor may be a Manson Supreme, heard good things about them, good price and no China issues.
Old 06-11-2015, 00:12   #58

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Well, I've only had my Rocna a few years but I love it. It's held me solid in 45knotts over night. It's made after the initial metal drama.

There are a number of similar anchors, all at various prices. I think the mistake I often see on boats is not the make or kind of anchor but that so many underpower their anchor and then wonder why they drag. I've had a couple people comment on my 25 Rocna on my 36 foot steel ketch, and suggest it's too big. But, it's according to specs.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 11:26   #59

Boat: Ohlson 29

I'm about to buy a 22 lbs Rocna for my 29' Ohlson. It's been suggested more then once I might want to buy an anchor "for the boat you have, not the one you want" - as in, 'you silly girl, that's way too big an anchor!'.

Let them laugh, I say It's the correct size for my boat, and this piece of steal is all that's going to keep my little plastic home away from the rocks etc. I'd go one size up before going one size down any day.

I wasn't aware of the problems the Rocna's have had in the past. Is there any way to tell the newer ones from the ones from the 'problem years'?
I doubt I'll get an old one from the shop, but still, now I know about it, I'd like to be able to tell them apart
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:03   #60

Boat: Catalina 25 + trailer

Lizzy Belle, I agree with you that a 22# Rocna is about right for your 29 foot boat. I use a 25# Manson Supreme for a 25 foot boat; it is one size up. As Don Street once observed, the "right" size anchor is the largest one you can comfortably handle. You may want to consider the Manson as an alternative to the Rocna. It is made in New Zealand, so no worries about Chinese steel. And prices, at least here in the U.S. were a bit lower, last time I checked.
wegman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rocna