Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 06:58   #91

Boat: Jeantot Euphorie 40
Re: Rocna Doesn't Fit . . . Do I Go with Ultra or Delta ?

Yes the UA35-77 fits on the standard Jeanneau 54DS roller without modification.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30   #92

I have the 77lb anchor on a 53ft 50,000lb motorsailer. It doesn't look too big at the dock and most certainly it doesn't look too big when anchoring in a blow. I briefly considered the 99lb size but it wouldn't have fit my bowsprit.

I can attest to the Ultra's good setting and resetting ability (which I think is shared by all the new gen anchors but was definitely not true of my previous Delta -- or even earlier CQR). My 88lb Delta with chain rode averaged 3 good sets out of 4 tries - including those middle of the night wind shift resets. The Ultra is 100% over about 100 sets. It's made the whole anchoring process rather boring. I somewhat miss the days of "feeling" the chain for that telltale vibration of dragging while the crew stands by nervously.

I've grown so confident of the anchor's ability to reset that I've stopped using two anchors even in areas with fast tidal currents -- except where I might swing into something. It also handled a thunderstorm that announced itself with a sudden 50 knots and a 120 degree wind shift. Several boats dragged.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:39   #93

Thanks Carl, Nice to know. I have a Delta and will be replacing with the Ultra. Did you put the Ultra swivel on yours?
Somewhere 54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:58   #94

Boat: Koopmans 42 - Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
Agreed, I am planning an 88 lb. anchor with 200 ft of 3/8 chain which itself weighs 300 lbs also.

The boat weighs 44000 lbs dry, must be around 54000 fueled and loaded. Both the rocna and Ultra sites recommend the 88lb for my size.
Why not get a Manson Ray anchor. Your boat should have an 88lbs (RAY 40) or larger (RAY 50 at 110lbs). Comes out best if you have the higher weights. See the test report on thier website done by Evans Starzinger. Should fit nicely on your bow. I have just ordered a Ray Manson 88lbs for our 26.000 lbs ketch.

http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/Ancho...or%20Tests.pdf
Mundinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:59   #95

Boat: Jeantot Euphorie 40

Hi Jim, Not sure how to respond to a private message on the forum it keeps taking me to this page.

The Imtra Swivel (SPA802) you have will fit with the UA35-77. Of course I recommend the Ultra UFS13 because of its additional strength. The new generation of anchors have extreme holding power and may subject the connectors to extreme side loads. The Ultra Connector is designed for a full side load as well as axial load. Randy
Old 04-04-2011, 08:31   #96

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Neither the appropriate Rocna OR Spade will fit both my tri's bow roller and wing locker. Our 35 # Delta has gotten us through countless storms and hurricanes, and served us well for 15 years. It is vastly superrior to the Bruce or CQR of the same weight, and though it may have less holding power than the Rocna or Spade of the same weight, it is diminsionally smaller, fits the roller well, self launches, and sets reliably in a short distance. Only in VERY soft mud do be have to slowly "wiggle it down" to the firm mud down deep. It's being heavier for it's size may even be an advantage here... My experience is that the Delta is a fine anchor! M.
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:57   #97

I agree, the Delta is a great anchor. My only problem has been the middle of the night wind shifts. I think that if the Delta comes loose in the shift and the boat starts moving fairly rapidly the Delta takes its time resetting. Once over 100 yards. Plus, I think my Delta is undersized for my boat and I need to get a new anchor.
Old 04-04-2011, 23:43   #98
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere 54 View Post
Thanks GMac. The boat fully loaded is just under 25 tons so a 60lb Ultra should be okay?
25t, that's quite a bit more than I expected. Yeah a 77 is probably a better call in that case unless you have big chain, which you probably haven't.

I can conform what Quickline has said about the Ultra when you get a change of direction. Unlike some of the new gens, the Ultra just seems to swivel while staying buried, assuming the seabed type will let it obviously, not all will. But I think many would be surprised at what loads it does take to 180 degree veer some anchors at times, they can be large. Often they just don't and it makes no difference to the anchorer, not that they probably even realise it hasn't moved bugger all.

Swivels - if you run all chain why? We get asked a lot and say that if you experience the anchor coming up backward or playing silly games then yes try a swivel. So just why not just start with a shackle and save the beer tokens. A swivel can be retro fitted in 2 mins if the need arises.

If you have a rope to chain combo rode then thinking about a swivel is worth a bit more thought.

If you do want a swivel go with the Ultra version, they do cost more but are far superior to many of the more commonly seen ones, like the Nautilus (Imtra) version for example. We aren't huge fans of those to be honest, it doesn't take that much to tweak it and then you could have pin retention issues. It's not common but can happen. It's those silly little small screws that hold the main pins in, it is a potential big flaw if one gets pushed.

Testing indicates a Delta holds only a very small amount more than a CQR, they are both still plows after all. Testing also indicates some of the Delta knock-offs, some of which are also built a lot better, do hold higher loads, some by quite a surprising amount. The Delta has far better setting characteristics than a CQR though, that's a plus for sure.

By 'testing' I mean a lot of tests by a lot of people over a lot of time in a lot of varying seabed types, all combined and averaged out. It does not mean just one pull from a set of pulls in one test.... as some do use in their marketing.

Yes I deal in anchoring systems, no we aren't only one or 2 brands specific as real life and boats aren't either. Yes we make anchors but No none are of the type used as primaries for boats much above 6-7mts. No you can't buy from me as the freight would probably kill the price, shop local and support your local community, it's probably also greener seeing most anchors do a huge pile of miles around the world before they reach you anyway.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:41   #99

I'm convinced and ordered the 77lb Ultra. I do have 7/16 chain so all should be good. Thanks for all the great replies.
Old 07-04-2011, 16:53   #100

Boat: Bluewater 5800, Novatec 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere 54 View Post
I'm convinced and ordered the 77lb Ultra. I do have 7/16 chain so all should be good. Thanks for all the great replies.
You'll love it !

When I had bought mine I had also bought the swivel and the Quickline, 200 foot stainless coil flat line.

My intent was to have it tied to the head of the anchor permanently to make an anchor retrieval line should that slightly expensive anchor get caught on the bottom.

Unfortunately, this did not work, with or without the swivel the anchor would always come up with the quickline twisted around the chain and it would take 15 minutes to untangle it so I could fully pull the anchor in with the windlass.

Not sure if Randy has any ideas as to how that could be remedied.

But the anchor itself is a gem !
RaySea Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:57   #101

Few more weeks and I will be able to try it.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:12   #102

Boat: Bowman 57 -- Aleria

The newest independent tests show that the scoop-type anchors (Rocna, Ultra, Spade, etc) outperform the plough-type anchors by far. That said, we've used a Delta very successfully and it is far superior to the CQR. Despite numerous tests showing the CQR just doesn't set, people keep struggling with it. The CQR is a plough. It plows.

The Ultra has secured an American Bureau of Shipping rating of Superior Holding Power. Rocna and Manson Supreme have a Super High Holding Power rating which is the equivalent European rating. You can't go wrong with any of them. Ultra is very shiny.
CruisingKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, delta