Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2010, 04:31   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
We have both a Fortress and an aluminum Spade as secondaries to our Rocna. The Spade assembles/disassembles easier than the Fortress if you are keeping them stowed that way, and it is a bit easier to handle in the dinghy than the Fortress (which, like all Danforth types, can bite your fingers if you don't pay good attention).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 05:41   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Rocna in mud

My experience with the Rocna anchor in mud is different than that of THINWATERs.
I was anchored in the San Juaquin Delta (inland of San Francisco Bay) in soft mud when a storm front came through. Two days of 30+ with gusts to 45. Anchored in 10-12 feet of water with a 15kg Rocna and 100 feet of 5/16 ht (about 8-1 scope). Did not move at all that I could tell. When it was time to leave it took about half an hour to break the anchor out (manual windlass). Can't say for sure but my guess is that the anchor had burried itself under 5 feet of mud. When it finally came up it brought about 100 pound mud ball with it.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 06:18   #18
Marine Service Provider

There are a few more anecdotes relating to soft mud on the feedback collection page of the Rocna knowledge base:
www.rocna.com/kb/Rocna_feedback
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 08:20   #19

Boat: Ta Chiao CT34 - 34' - The Brass Monkey
Thanks to everyone - I am always amazed at the wealth of experience here, so readily shared. I think the point about managing the secondary in the dinghy is well made, and I 'm going to take a look at a Fortress this afternoon, and also seek out some information on the disassemble-able Rocna.
RSMacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 19:00   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam Wald View Post
My experience with the Rocna anchor in mud is different than that of THINWATERs.
I was anchored in the San Juaquin Delta (inland of San Francisco Bay) in soft mud when a storm front came through. Two days of 30+ with gusts to 45. Anchored in 10-12 feet of water with a 15kg Rocna and 100 feet of 5/16 ht (about 8-1 scope). Did not move at all that I could tell. When it was time to leave it took about half an hour to break the anchor out (manual windlass). Can't say for sure but my guess is that the anchor had burried itself under 5 feet of mud. When it finally came up it brought about 100 pound mud ball with it.
I did not suggest that a 35-pound Rocna would not be good in mud. What I meant was that a 17-pound Fortress would do as well (given limited direction change) and is much simpler to handle in an inflatable. The conditions you described are very typical of the Chesapeake too, so I think I know where you're coming from. It is something to see just how deep good burying anchors go, given time.

Pinching fingers is possible, I suppose; I have handled Danforth pattern anchors for so long, I guess I remember where the teeth are!

Tags
rocna