Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2019, 13:25   #136
alc

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Rocna Anchor Failure

Hi All,

I have attached a photo of how the anchor was attached from our survey. We had not modified anything other than replacing the chain in October. We are 100% certain that it was not stolen, other than by the water. We tied up the bridle to the gangway cleat so we know it was stowed when we left.

We are very confident that the anchor eyelet fractured or broke completely during the trip from Aruba to Curacao.

We did not mean to bad mouth Rocna just wanted to know how common a problem it is. I was surprised to find out about the West Marine Rocna recall that took place just a short time before the anchor was purchased in 2016.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
I would strongly suggest that there were legal discussions with Rocna, and Rocna is going to have to take these back.

Does Rocna's handling of this remind you of the way Ford handled the Pinto, whereas WM is more akin to the way Johnson and Johnson handled the Tylenol poisoning problem?

Thanks to all for all the input on the anchor and anchor setup.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Always Sunday Lagoon 400 Condition Survey May 2018 v2.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	204362  
alc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 13:34   #137

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I don't see that this photo shows the critical elements... those that connect the chain to the anchor. And for that matter, if you changed chains, then the connection would not be identical to that in the photo.

And agint, as I recall, the issue with the Chinese Rocnas that were recalled was use of a lower grade steel, one that was less stiff than the specified steel... and such steel would be more malleable and less likely to fracture catastrophically.

I'm not convinced that the anchor broke. But you are and I doubt that any further discussion will change your mind, so what would you like to achieve in this thread?

Jim
Old 04-12-2019, 14:27   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I don't see that this photo shows the critical elements... those that connect the chain to the anchor. And for that matter, if you changed chains, then the connection would not be identical to that in the photo.

And agint, as I recall, the issue with the Chinese Rocnas that were recalled was use of a lower grade steel, one that was less stiff than the specified steel... and such steel would be more malleable and less likely to fracture catastrophically.

I'm not convinced that the anchor broke. But you are and I doubt that any further discussion will change your mind, so what would you like to achieve in this thread?

Jim

I do agree that it is very hard to believe that the anchor broke.. I have a Chinese 33 kg Rocna. If I remember right it was installed 2008. I did regalvanized the anchor after app. 10 years of anchoring. I estimate that we have spent at least 2200 nights anchored since new. Chain is a Duplex stainless chain that was installed already 2003. It still look like new. The first years I used a galvanized shackle. Changed that to stainless steel shackle as the galvanized shackle was corroding badly. Strange enough, I do have very little if any corrosion between anchor and stainless steel shackle.

When the chain was new 2002 I had to do send in a piece for a destructive pull test. Last year I took off another 3 feet and sent to the same company for a follow up test. The pull test showed identical results.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 14:45   #139

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Is it just me, or does that anchor look over-stressed. Distorted slot (sharp angle at front lower corner, stretched at rear and thinned out above at rear.

I'd suggested it's been badly overloaded at some time and the slot severely weakened.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	anchorslot.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	204365  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 16:52   #140
alc

Boat: Lagoon 400

Hi All,

I understand that many posters don't believe that the anchor could fail as described and that is fine. I am open to any other suggestions other than it was stolen, which it was not. That it was lost before sailing, which it was not. It was stored as shown in the images while sailing and 2 hours later it was gone leaving behind the shackle and chain.

The only thing I am trying to accomplish is to find out how frequently this has happened and based on the images what I may have been doing wrong so that I don't repeat the same mistake and lose another anchor while sailing on a day trip. Or if there might have been something wrong with the Rocna anchors.

I have provided all the information I have and no I was not trying to get Rocna to do anything as others have suggested. I am a realist and know that few companies would step up in a situation like this. With that said I would like to recognize Echo-Tec for standing behind there warranty even after it expired. I tried to order a replacement part and they said that they would honor the warranty even though it had expired 2 months earlier and all I needed to pay for was shipping. Not often a company would step up and offer to replace something these days.
alc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 17:05   #141

Boat: Bristol 47.7

I keep going back to the pic of the shackle pin that looked like it had backed out, but maybe the OP has already ruled that one out.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 17:09   #142

Boat: Tartan 40
Rocna Anchor Failure

I think it’s always possible for any piece of metal to fail if it’s been stressed prior. If you didn’t own the rocna since new then maybe the slot was elongated and overstressed.

That said, your original pics show a different shackle (stainless) left behind on the chain than on your rocna and chain setup (galvanized shackle) you just posted a pic of.

How come?

Original pic (stainless shackle)

Name:	IMG_6936.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	204383

Recent pic(galvanized shackle)

Name:	IMG_6937.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	204384
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 18:17   #143

Boat: corbin39

And it looks like the pin is through the chain not the anchor
B-Baysailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 18:20   #144

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Based on that photo and others posted I would expect a chunk of metal to be left behind if the anchor broke
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 19:24   #145

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by alc View Post
Hi All,

I wanted to see if others have had the same issue with your Rocna 20 kg anchors failing. While transiting from Aruba to Curacao our anchor broke away from the shackle and chain. The shackle is completely intact on the chain but no anchor is left. I contacted Rocna and was told that without a picture of the actual anchor, which is sitting in 2000 feet of water, there was nothing they would do for me. I was surprised first that it failed after only 3 years and appeared to be in like new condition. I am just glad it happened while we were underway and not at anchor. I always believed Rocna was a good reliable product and shocked that it gave out to begin with but even more surprised that Rocna would not honor the warranty.

I am thinking about replacing it with a Mantus, has anyone had a similar experience with Mantus or could it just be an issue with Rocna. Also, how is the warranty service if we need it?

Thanks to everyone.

Regards,
John

Quote:
Hi All,

I understand that many posters don't believe that the anchor could fail as described and that is fine. I am open to any other suggestions other than it was stolen, which it was not. That it was lost before sailing, which it was not. It was stored as shown in the images while sailing and 2 hours later it was gone leaving behind the shackle and chain.

The only thing I am trying to accomplish is to find out how frequently this has happened and based on the images what I may have been doing wrong so that I don't repeat the same mistake and lose another anchor while sailing on a day trip. Or if there might have been something wrong with the Rocna anchors.

I have provided all the information I have and no I was not trying to get Rocna to do anything as others have suggested. I am a realist and know that few companies would step up in a situation like this. With that said I would like to recognize Echo-Tec for standing behind there warranty even after it expired. I tried to order a replacement part and they said that they would honor the warranty even though it had expired 2 months earlier and all I needed to pay for was shipping. Not often a company would step up and offer to replace something these days.

I seem to be having a little trouble reconciling these two quotes, is it just me??

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 21:15   #146

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
The only thing I am trying to accomplish is to find out how frequently this has happened
Never in the history of humankind, apparently, not even to cheap chinese knockoffs. That is why everyone is furrowing their brow in a futile attempt to understand the situation. Sorry for your loss. My vote is a Roswell Event.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:14   #147

Boat: no boat any more

the OP: fool or knave...
Old 06-12-2019, 02:46   #148

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I think it’s always possible for any piece of metal to fail if it’s been stressed prior. If you didn’t own the rocna since new then maybe the slot was elongated and overstressed.

That said, your original pics show a different shackle (stainless) left behind on the chain than on your rocna and chain setup (galvanized shackle) you just posted a pic of.

How come?

Original pic (stainless shackle)
Attachment 204383

Recent pic(galvanized shackle)
Attachment 204384
Something seems fishy in Denmark...... now I’m going with the Roswell theory.
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:38   #149

"Also, like others stated, the wrong type of swivel was used."

To my mind ANY anchor swivel is single point failure prone and should be recycled into a nautical lamp.

The possible time saving lifting anchor after the boat has swung thru 30 tides is nothing compared to getting off the beach should ONE pin break.
FAST FRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:46   #150

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST FRED View Post
"Also, like others stated, the wrong type of swivel was used."

To my mind ANY anchor swivel is single point failure prone and should be recycled into a nautical lamp.

The possible time saving lifting anchor after the boat has swung thru 30 tides is nothing compared to getting off the beach should ONE pin break.
Look at the mantus. It is stronger than the chain. Most swivels are the weak link. Mantus is not.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, grass, rocna