Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2011, 09:07   #31

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Rigging Toggle for Anchor Connection ?

Still not sold on SS underwater. Found an old thread on the topic with lots of good discussion.
Old 14-03-2011, 16:10   #32

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Peerless Chain (ACCO) makes smaller high test shackles, but the 5/16" size, which I presume fits 1/4" chain is only max. 1 ton working load. See here on page 61. The max. working load on G43 1/4" chain is 2600 lbs.

The 5/16 I see is 1500 lbs.

I am trying to make the whole rig ~2600.

What is the point of having chain at 2600 and anything else in the line 1500? I could just get really small chain........but then I would have a really small shackle...........
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 16:16   #33

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirar View Post
Hello all, I spent a lot of time researching shackles for the anchor system on my new 56 foot alloy cutter I am still building, The best I came up with are high tensile ones from www.1st-chainsupply They were a great company to do business with and the 7/16th ones I bought fit in the regular links of the G-40 HT chain with the rated load of 2.6 T stamped on them. I ended up paying a fortune to get them here to the Canadian west but oh well, don't care to skimp on that part of the process.
cheers, Greg
SPA Shackles

That is what I was hoping for.

But it is only 2000lb.

Maybe it will work after all.
Old 14-03-2011, 17:24   #34

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I like it. It's even more expensive than my Kong, but it appears to have a big advantage in that it tilts as well as swivels. I like it -- very clever design.
I took some photos today. Buying this was quite extravagant for us, but I had just switched from 35' of chain to 110' of chain for the deep E Caribbean anchorages. Being that I was pulling it in hand over hand, and I would be BEAT by the time the anchor met the roller, I wanted the easiest possible glide over the roller.

The fact that it was on sale at the SSCA meeting, along with some rationalizing, made me decide to do it. They're mighty nice! This one is now 6 years old, with half of that time spent on the bottom... even in Trinidad!

The photo of pulling up the hook, was in St Thomas, as a "just anchored" cruise ship was swinging into the anchorage, guaranteed to "TAKE OUT" every boat on our end of the 40' deep anchorage. EVERYONE was screaming and getting the hell out of the way! I had to get the boat underway within TWO minutes or be crushed! This was when I decided that my "pulling up the tackle manually" years were about over. The rest of the way down island was buying parts for the windlass, that we'd install in Trinidad.

WHAT a change! It took the drama out of upping the hook, and extended our cruising.

Oh, I forgot my point... My originally thinking that I could still pull in 110' of chain on a regular basis, with a bad back, was wishful thinking at best!

The fancy swivel was nice, but not MAGIC. I still needed to make a change to a windlass.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P3140588.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	25077   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3140589.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	25078  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P3140590.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	25079   Click image for larger version

Name:	121_121.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	25080  

Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:42   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

If you are concerned about side load place your swivel a few links above the anchor.

As far as LokTite is concerned - I would not trust it. Wire the pins and stake the threads.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 17:55   #36

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Mark:

Looks like that swivel would make hauling in easier. However, in the photo do I see extra rust in the links near the swivel? And, I would still be worried about the side load issues compared to ordinary anchor shackles. See this thread here (not your swivel).
Old 14-03-2011, 19:56   #37

Boat: 55' Romsdal

I apologize if someone has already mentioned Suncor swivels, but they are beautifully machined and solve the problem of hanging up. The one I have for 1/2" G4 is stronger than the chain and it works flawlessly. They are also a great deal less expensive than the Wasi. They are available from Defender, Fisheries Supply, etc.

http://www.suncorstainless.com/anchor/S0190-00.jpg
http://www.suncorstainless.com/anchor/S0190-X0.jpg
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2011, 15:50   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Dang!
I just ordered one of those as the guy taking the order left the phone to check and said the pin will go through 1/4 G4.
We shall see.

Dang!!

They do NOT fit.

Why did he tell me he tried it and it did fit?

Oh well.

A trade item while away in April?
Old 30-09-2014, 11:30   #39

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Mark:

Looks like that swivel would make hauling in easier. However, in the photo do I see extra rust in the links near the swivel? And, I would still be worried about the side load issues compared to ordinary anchor shackles. See this thread here (not your swivel).
I noticed this too... any update on this swivel? We are looking at one as well but MAN are they expensive.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, rigging