Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2018, 13:11   #61

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Re-Anchoring (Just before Dark)

I'm not really seeing the controversy here. There are poor anchors, such as the old navy stockless and cheap knock-offs of good designs, which just shouldn't be used. The genuine CQR is a robust, proven anchor. Newer designs have been shown to be better, in setting and holding, both in testing and in decades of experience by cruisers. Whether the improvement is worth replacing a CQR is a personal choice, but buying new the CQR would be an odd choice given the alternatives.

The CQR is a good, but not perfect, anchor. I have had one since the beginning and have found it to be very reliable and robust. I have also had a Bruce, which seemed to set and hold well and was also robust but I didn't like the tendency to hold mud in the claw so I sold it on. Then I bought the original forged Spade; it set very fast and was a great anchor - later lost to me. The newer welded Spade sets and holds as well but is clearly not as robust - I would be very reluctant to deploy it in rocks. Spades do have the advantage of being able to quickly disassemble and store below. Currently I am looking at a 20kg Vulkan - basically a Spade knock-off - for $365 on sale. It is welded and very robust, and given the (Spade) design should set quickly and hold well. I will probably keep the CQR for sentimental reasons, and it does fit the character of the boat, but the Vulkan would be far more preferable for daily use (and self-launches with the electric anchor windlass, something the CQR doesn't do).

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 13:43   #62

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
The newer welded Spade sets and holds as well but is clearly not as robust
Holding ability is more important than strength. You are far more likely to get in trouble dragging than the very slight risk of bending an anchor.

However, the steel Spade is a very strong anchor and also has excellent holding ability. Perhaps only the Manson Supreme, or the Bruce is stronger if you rate strength as the most important parameter .

The Vulcan is a little too new to classify.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 13:53   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Anchored in Marsh Harbor Bahamas 96 . 25 CQR maybe 100 ft nylon scope 25 ft chain 36 ft C&C. Hurricane I beleive Bertha winds in gust 125, constant 100 plus more than 12 hours as the storm stalled . Crowded anchorage no room to let out more scope boat maybe 100 ft behind me. NEVER drug . Took me 2 hrs to retrieve the anchor as it was way deep. Try a CQR on a hard bottom forget it.
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 14:13   #64

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@FranklinGray: I'm wondering if the Danforth anchor that dragged in Suva was a plough type or with large flukes?
The holding there in front of the YC at Suva is notoriously bad. If the tip is still next door, there runoff from it is quite acid, hard on the galvanize. Go instead to the "Tradewinds" anchorage, clean sand, good holding. The bus into town is cheap.

thomm225, You just might want to replace that shackle if it's that rusty! I think you need to decide about the new boat, then work out what to do about an anchor. Your present one has done well in the area you sail in. If you're starting to feel leery of it's holding, then I would change, and not, if you still trust it. I was wrong about the failure mode being to drag, once set, it was a failure to set problem.

Ann
Old 23-07-2018, 14:36   #65

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

thomm225, You just might want to replace that shackle if it's that rusty!
What?
A yachtie spend $10 on something that'll benefit his and the safety of others?
Crazy.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 14:57   #66

Boat: Whitby 55

Quote:
@FranklinGray: I'm wondering if the Danforth anchor that dragged in Suva was a plough type or with large flukes?

The holding there in front of the YC at Suva is notoriously bad.

Go instead to the "Tradewinds" anchorage, clean sand, good holding. The bus into town is cheap.

Ann
It was a fluke kind. Problem is the wind shifts popped it out and that is when danforths have troubles.

Yes, holding is bad, but as said, all new gen anchors held. Old gen anchors work fine in sand, but other bottom types not so much. Even the old Local anchors made of Re-bar work fine in sand.

I had no problem in the anchorage but left anyway for the west side for exploring and plane flights.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 15:19   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
The holding there in front of the YC at Suva is notoriously bad. If the tip is still next door, there runoff from it is quite acid, hard on the galvanize. Go instead to the "Tradewinds" anchorage, clean sand, good holding. The bus into town is cheap.

thomm225, You just might want to replace that shackle if it's that rusty! I think you need to decide about the new boat, then work out what to do about an anchor. Your present one has done well in the area you sail in. If you're starting to feel leery of it's holding, then I would change, and not, if you still trust it. I was wrong about the failure mode being to drag, once set, it was a failure to set problem.

Ann
Thanks, Ann.

The rusty shackle is still maybe 3/8" thick. I wire bushed it a couple days ago

I'll be taking the new rode and chain to the Pearson 10M and maybe getting a 35lb CQR. But it seems these sellers think the CQR is way good!

If the price doesn't come down, I'll maybe get a Mantus 35lb. The boat is 12,400# with almost 6' fin keel.

But I want it for the crispy sails and 29' water line plus the spinnakers...….it's other main and jib are better than most cruisers have.

It's a racer guy thing
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 16:08   #68

Boat: Whitby 55

Want to know what kind of anchor to buy? Go to all the second hand marine parts stores. Any anchor you see there is NOT what you want. Great anchors are never sold by their owners. You will never see a Ultra, Mantus or a Bulwagga
For sale second hand.
FranklinGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 19:14   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We had a 66# CQR and it dug in very well in many storms. We did eventually trade in the CQR for a larger Rocna and will say the new gen anchors do have an edge on the older style anchors. If the CQR is working for you, keep it.

A little off topic, but do you have any tips/suggestions where to anchor off Kiptopeke? We'll be heading that way in Sept and want to try some cobia fishing. We draw 6.5' so we will not be doing anything inside the 7' line close to shore. Yes, I know there is a strong current which eventually will be opposing the wind.

Bill O.
seven feet behind concrete good but if wind blows go up into Cape Charles Harbor- deeper and good holding and out of the current conflict.
boat driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2018, 19:24   #70

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
seven feet behind concrete good but if wind blows go up into Cape Charles Harbor- deeper and good holding and out of the current conflict.

Contacted the CC harbor master and there is no anchoring allowed in the harbor. Would need to take a slip in one of the marinas in CC harbor.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring