Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2008, 12:51   #46

Gmac,

Have you had a chance to try out the Raya. Or does anyone have any user reports? It sure is an interesting looking anchor - not that "looks" matters much in an anchor

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2008, 15:01   #47

I thought I had read all the anchor posts - however just found this one.

I have now have a Rocna and for me the hoop is a really useful feature. An anchor has to be easy to use and I find the hoop so ergonomic when manhandling the anchor onto the bow roller. We do a mixture of anchoring and picking up moorings. When we pick up a mooring the anchor has to come off the roller and be stowed on the foredeck. We also prefer to have the anchor lashed down on the deck in heavy weather. Picking the anchor up using the hoop is a joy compared to the CQR. I do not want to knock the Raya as I have not handled one however the mini hoop appears to be a retrograde step and not as user friendly (above water ).
saumur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 16:25   #48

Boat: 36' custom steel
How is the Raya any different from Alain's Sword (Oceane)??

In concept they look the same to me. In application there might be minor differences that I can't see in the pictures. But they look pretty close to the same to me. I see, however, that the Sword is not made in larger sizes.

I look forward to hear how the Raya works. Some of the tests of the Sword were not that good.

Sword: http://www.spade-anchor.co.uk/O_detail.htm
Old 23-12-2008, 16:35   #49

Originally I thought that BSH might cause a slightly higher rate of fouling on bad bottoms with junk, but thus far I haven't heard of that actually happening.

The other thing about BSH is that I think it might impede deep penentration. More surface area preventing penetration. In soupy mud you want penetration to get to the good stuff.

Also, placement at the rear of the fluke lends to an upward leverage on the fluke should the BSH go deep enough into the muck. This in turn renders a decrease in effective scope of the anchor line. Back of the fluke is being rotated down on account of BSH going through the muck while front of fluke is being rotated up. These forces are missing in anchors without BSH.

All personal theories of mine which, with the benefit of hindsight, appear to have no basis in reality, I readily admit.
Old 23-12-2008, 16:43   #50
Marine Service Provider

G'day Carl,
So far all good. Just fitted one to my boat for the Xmas cruise so I'm happy I can enjoy a few rums and wake up where I started. I'll be taking some time to give it the curry in a couple of natoriously bad anchoring spots so I'll know more in a month or so.

It's also going to be in a test programme in Feb. Not specifically a anchor test but the test will put the anchor to the test at the same time as we try to find out some of things for a big multi-national. I'll let you know.

Hiracer - If you put one next to the other there are some very striking differences even though they do share a similar look.

There are a few stories drifting around here at the moment about the physical strength of anchors or at last one in particular, so we put a Raya on the test bed. I can happily say they are physically seriously strong with numbers well above what any expected load would ever be when in actual use. That's nice to know.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 17:11   #51

GMac,

Thanks for the info. Tell us about setting dependability, resetting, and veering of the Raya when you get a chance.
Old 23-12-2008, 17:20   #52
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiracer View Post
Originally I thought that BSH might cause a slightly higher rate of fouling on bad bottoms with junk, but thus far I haven't heard of that actually happening.
Us as well but nothing came of it. Heard a few but nothing more than anything else.

Quote:
The other thing about BSH is that I think it might impede deep penentration. More surface area preventing penetration. In soupy mud you want penetration to get to the good stuff.

Also, placement at the rear of the fluke lends to an upward leverage on the fluke should the BSH go deep enough into the muck. This in turn renders a decrease in effective scope of the anchor line. Back of the fluke is being rotated down on account of BSH going through the muck while front of fluke is being rotated up. These forces are missing in anchors without BSH.

All personal theories of mine which, with the benefit of hindsight, appear to have no basis in reality, I readily admit.
Agree with you on that above. There is times when the BSH is performance negative and does cause 'balling' especially in sticky bottom types like clay. In the big scheme of things the BSH doesn't appear to be all bad but we also think they would be better without them.

Note the Supreme doesn't have that kick-up on the back of the fluke like the Rocna.

Well folks, that is my last post for 2008, off to the boat in 5 min. Have a great Xmas, better New Year and boat hard yet safely. See ya week 2 of January with some more real life info on the Raya.
Old 06-01-2009, 20:18   #53

When I'm asleep I want my anchor to be holding onto "the entire sea bottom". A fluke that "self clean[s]" easily? What if I haven't asked it to yet? I call that a drag...
On our cat we start off slow and let any hook dangle and clean itself at the surface between the hulls before we pull it all the way up. Save your back and sleep better. Want an easy pull up and clean job. Use the lunch hook.
gem buy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 19:23   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
To manufacturing costs; The Raya is made in Brazil, the Manson Supreme down under; where is the Rocna made?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:29   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

Well folks, that is my last post for 2008, off to the boat in 5 min. Have a great Xmas, better New Year and boat hard yet safely. See ya week 2 of January with some more real life info on the Raya.
Hey GMac. Just wondering how that testing with the Raya went.
betodas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 12:18   #56
Marine Service Provider

G'day 2009 and all,
In short it was very very good. I had problems getting enough grunt to push it hard out but maybe that was because it held so well. A combo of both I suspect.

I gave it a nudge in the usual spots we use and zero sign of anything bad. We are helping in a test programme for something else (not anchors as such) in a couple of weeks so I'll sneak the Raya in for a play with the big gear and equipment.

The only negative comments I heard about the Raya was the colour We painted it bright orange so it's easier seen and helps show the zones where all the work is going on on the anchor itself. The more work a bit of the anchor does the less paint stays on.

We sent some stuff to a boat being built offshore somewhere last year in conjunction with another NZ company. The boat sent some photos back to them and guess what we saw dangling off the bow. A big power Cat and the puppy in the photo is a 70kg I'm told (so that would make it the Raya 2500 I think) and their secondary is also a Raya. I'll see if I can get more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	103_0421.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	6849  
Old 21-01-2009, 17:07   #57

Boat: custom built 47' wooden trawler yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to quidam
Does anyone know what is the purpose of what looks like a handle on the shank?

That type of elitist thinking has ballooned the cost of boats, and cruising , far beyond what it need be, and beyond the reach of too many low income cruisers, for no benefit. --Brent Swain
quidam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 18:10   #58

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
That's the handle.

Actually, I believe it is intended to help the anchor roll upright.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2009, 05:43   #59
Eternal Member

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Actually, I believe it is intended to help the anchor roll upright.
Old 23-01-2009, 03:59   #60
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
The only negative comments I heard about the Raya was the colour We painted it bright orange so it's easier seen and helps show the zones where all the work is going on on the anchor itself. The more work a bit of the anchor does the less paint stays on.
Do you paint only as part of a test or do you paint all your anchors all the time for all uses?
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, raya