Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2018, 00:44   #1

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler
Rated anchor shackle brands

In Australia when it comes to anchor shackles, if you go into any chandlery it seems the Titan branded shackle has the market stitched up.

As we live on the water we would get them on eBay for convenience

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Titan-Te...-/121708518349

But anchors are not the only thing that uses rated galvanised shackles.
Trailers and lifting gear do as well.
Plenty of choices on ebay
These for example claim to be rated , have same dimensions and same load numbers but are 4 for the price of 1

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/5-8-16mm-H...gAAOSwn1Fbsso0

Surely rated is rated is rated right?
They all get made to the same standard?
And in this instance they are all made in China, including the titan ones.

Thoughts?
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:41   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Rated anchor shackle brands

If you are using a rated shackle to connect your anchor, you are doing better than most.

However, a SWL of 3250 kg is not particularly good for a 5/8 shackle. Without a brand name to research, it is difficult to know the safety factor used to calculate this number etc.

The better 5/8 shackles have a SWL of 4500- 5000 kg for a 5/8 model. This is generally overkill for people using G3 or G4 chain, but shackles can become side loaded, which significantly decreases their strength. They are cheap enough that a little bit of overkill to make sure the shackle cannot become the weak link in the system is probably sensible.

The best anchor shackles that I familiar with (but there are many other good brands) are:

Crosby 209A
Titan black pin (the yellow pin, which is not as strong is shown in your link)
Van Beest super shackles
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:00   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A Van Beest Green pin super shackle with this type of bolt construction would be ideal for your substantial vessel. 16mm is the equivalent of 5/8 inch, but check this is the correct size for your chain. The 16mm model has a SWL of 5 Tonnes at a saftey factor of 5:1.

Order the largest size you can, but a warning, the pin size is larger than the body size on most rated shackles. A 5/8 high strength shackle will generally have a pin larger than 5/8 inch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1561D854-7F30-46EB-AEF2-22C5E8B06712.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	278.4 KB
ID:	178331  
Old 02-10-2018, 02:03   #4

Thanks for the reply.
The new chain holding the boat is 13mm tested PWB
That has a wll of 2000kg and a safety factor of 4x that
Grade L Chain

The pin size is larger than the body, I will also have a rated 13mm shackle in use.
I need the bigger shackle to go over the shaft of the anchor.

Currently we have large yum cha s/s shackle in the chain with a pin that goes through with some gentle persuasion.
Never been happy with it but it hasn't let us down.......yet.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:08   #5

Van beest, never heard of them but did find an oz supplier.
Van Beest Shackles Australia | Green Pin Shackles Australia
Old 02-10-2018, 02:39   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

13mm chain will usually accept a maximium pin size of around 16-17mm (but check this it needs to measured), so the smaller shacle that fits through the chain will be the limitation in terms of strength. The 13.5mm Green pin super shackle should just fit and with a SWL of 3.3 T with a 5:1 safety factor it is a good match for your chain.

13mm chain grade 30 (although often this really grade 40) does not seem large for your boat so I would suggest taking particular care that any shackle in the system, even with side loading, is not weaker than the chain.

The 5/8 shackle to fit the anchor and join on to the smaller chain shackle can be a lower quality without becoming the weak-link in the system.The Titan 5/8 yellow pin is very close in strength to the higher quality smaller shackle (SWL 3250kg at 5:1), but other than the slight extra cost there is no drawback making the 5/8 shackle a Titan black pin or Green Pin Super shackle.

BTW did you consider the new PWB ArmorGalv coating for your chain. It is too early to tell, but the suggestion is the coating will be more durable than regular hot dip galvanising.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:53   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

BTW did you consider the new PWB ArmorGalv coating for your chain. It is too early to tell but the suggestion is the coating will be more durable than regular hot dip galvanising.
It was never suggested so I didn't know, so no.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:05   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a link that provides some useful specifications for your PWB chain. It also briefly duscusses the AmourGalv coating.

https://marinetradesupplies.com.au/w...eelChain-1.pdf
Old 02-10-2018, 03:15   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Practical sailor doesn’t think it’s more durable. Unless the thickness has been increased.

https://www.practical-sailor.com/iss...d_11637-1.html
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:52   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I don’t think we will know if the maker’s promise for ArmorGalv coating will translate to a longer life in practice until cruising sailors start using it in real conditions over several years.

For people such as me anchoring almost full time (and there are many members on this forum that do just that), the relatively short durability of galvanised chain can be a nuisance.

On my new boat chain weight is relatively uncritical. I have therefore been able to go with standard G4 chain, which saves the hassle of trying to source G7 chain when it comes times for replacement, and importantly removes the issue of the shorter galvanising life found with G7 chain.

The thinner G7 chain moves around on the seabed more and together with the reduced contact area between links is I think the main cause of the shorter life.

Even using standard G4 chain, a longer lasting galvanising process would be a major help for those that anchor frequently, especially in more abrasive substrates and stronger conditions. I am not sure if ArmorGalv will help (and it may even be worse), but it is the first new process (other than stainless steel chain) that shows some promise.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:18   #11

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
In Australia when it comes to anchor shackles, if you go into any chandlery it seems the Titan branded shackle has the market stitched up.

As we live on the water we would get them on eBay for convenience

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Titan-Te...-/121708518349

But anchors are not the only thing that uses rated galvanised shackles.
Trailers and lifting gear do as well.
Plenty of choices on ebay
These for example claim to be rated , have same dimensions and same load numbers but are 4 for the price of 1

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/5-8-16mm-H...gAAOSwn1Fbsso0

Surely rated is rated is rated right?
They all get made to the same standard?
And in this instance they are all made in China, including the titan ones.

Thoughts?
Noelex 77 is exactly right. Who proof tests these 'offshore' shackles? Where are the records kept that show SWL, breaking strength, etc? One can hardly consider China a third-world country anymore, but quality control can be quite difficult to oversee - ask Zodiac, among many others.
Crosby hardware rules.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:21   #12
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Crosby
the oilfield uses Crosby
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:23   #13

Boat: PDQ 44i

To make it simple I just remember Crosby, Grade B shackles.
Grade B is a HIGHER grade than grade A
doublewide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:38   #14

On Ebay "Rated" means nothing. At least in the US, there's no law or regulation against stamping the word "rated' on a piece of metal. You even have to be suspicious of brand names. Even if the picture shows a brand name, it may be a counterfeit or the shackle you actually receive may have no name.

Shackles are a special problem because you can't tell by looking at one what's in it or how it was made. Unlike chain which requires very expensive production equipment, shackles can be made by just about anyone.

I only buy shackles with a quality brand name (such as Crosby in the US) and even then only from a chandler with a reputation for reliability such as Hamilton Marine in Maine.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:50   #15

In the US, all shackles used for overhead lifting must be forged. Essentially, a forged shackle will deform when overloaded rather than break. All shackles made in the US are forged. Thus in overhead lifting use, shackles must be stamped that they are made in the USA, or stamped “forged”. I use only forged shackles in my ground tackle.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor