Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 05:06   #46
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Question about anchoring in unprotected waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
I don't know anything about your boat but I've always considered the pitching stern to be much more dangerous for boarding than the rolling at midships.

Not that I've ever actually tried to board in conditions like that...
Yup indee de...!!
I'd not board from the stern in a sea either..to much chance of a wave causing a back surging overhanging hull which comes down on a part of the dinghy..
OPPSSSSsssssssssss......
Always board at the shrouds and use those to aid my boarding..
I avoid using the stanchions or lifelines.. do not want them weakened

Born To Be Wild.. Click on the picture.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 05:58   #47

Re: Question about anchoring in unprotected waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yup indee de...!!
I'd not board from the stern in a sea either..to much chance of a wave causing a back surging overhanging hull which comes down on a part of the dinghy..
OPPSSSSsssssssssss......
Always board at the shrouds and use those to aid my boarding..
I avoid using the stanchions or lifelines.. do not want them weakened
Depends on the anchorage. In the video, the roll was greater than the pitch. So going by the stern would have been safer. In other cases where the pitch exceeds the roll, then go aboard amidship. Need to adapt to the situation. Most people die from being crushed between tender and hull amidship. The stern rises and falls so unless you decide to drive right under the stern, you have less chance of a disaster. Off Cabo, saw an inflatable avon get flipped when the boat rolled on top of it, dumping its passengers into the water. We had to reset a dislocated shoulder for one of those passengers.

reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:47   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.. and there was I thinking that Danger, excitement and adventure IS all about personal feelings...
99% of folks here think a December crossing of the Biscay solo in a beat up 21ft boat needing work is stupid and insane.. but.. I've done it.. because I FELT it could be done with reasonable safety.. did not ask opinions
If your as Ballsy as you try to come across why are you not on a Surf site as opposed to asking over 60's and near geriatric's how to be Adventurous..
As for gear... every boat has an anchor and chain.. just carry 200ft of extra rope.. chain is to heavy..
The road to True Adventure has no guides.. if it has your just another bludi tourist...
wise words...
natural_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:18   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

Until going south to California from Washington we had never anchored anywhere except a (mostly) protected bay or harbor. We left Santa Barbara on a breezy day and had one of the fastest reaches we had ever had. We planned to anchor at this little cove on the north side of Santa Cruz Island. Bad idea since the strong wind was coming out of the NNW. The two boats in this cove looked like the clip of the two guys getting on their boat at Pitcairn Island - washing machine and no room anyway.

So we went E and around the easterly tip and around to the S side. Only problem, it's getting late and no bay and no harbor on that side (at least close). So we had to anchor in our first "roadstead". It was in the lee of the winds but it totally freaked us out to see water for 180 degrees to the south. Flat water and shallow a long ways out. We got a good set and it was fine. But very little sleep that night!

We did have to anchor in less protection than we would have liked in other places. The last places we anchored in true roadsteads was in Vanuatu. We never took it for granted. Stayed on the boat in windy conditions and always slept on the boat. Never had a problem but would still not prefer to do it (of course).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 14:13   #50

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Until going south to California from Washington we had never anchored anywhere except a (mostly) protected bay or harbor. We left Santa Barbara on a breezy day and had one of the fastest reaches we had ever had. We planned to anchor at this little cove on the north side of Santa Cruz Island. Bad idea since the strong wind was coming out of the NNW. The two boats in this cove looked like the clip of the two guys getting on their boat at Pitcairn Island - washing machine and no room anyway.

So we went E and around the easterly tip and around to the S side. Only problem, it's getting late and no bay and no harbor on that side (at least close). So we had to anchor in our first "roadstead". It was in the lee of the winds but it totally freaked us out to see water for 180 degrees to the south. Flat water and shallow a long ways out. We got a good set and it was fine. But very little sleep that night!

We did have to anchor in less protection than we would have liked in other places. The last places we anchored in true roadsteads was in Vanuatu. We never took it for granted. Stayed on the boat in windy conditions and always slept on the boat. Never had a problem but would still not prefer to do it (of course).
Ha! yep, let me guess, Smuggler's Cove or Yellowbanks or Bluebanks! They are certainly protected from the prevailing winds but ANY errant swell will roll around from the south or west and make for an uncomfortable night, AND (don't know if you found this) that kind of exposed coast can get strong a longshore tidal current! I had no idea until I found I had bent the shank on my anchor in the morning.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 23:18   #51
Musician & 50T Master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: ex-Tartan4100, now MS34 Pilot

100#++ anchor and 800' of chain - where will you carry that weight? 1,000+++ lbs.

Tags
anchor, anchoring, rot, water