Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2016, 16:25   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Question about anchoring in unprotected waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Thee are places where the prevailing winds are off shore and people regularly anchor in the protection of the coast. One example is Santa Barbara, California. There is even a mooring field in the open road stead there. However, and it is a big however, if the wind comes from a different direction this becomes a hostile lee shore. Many boats have come to grief there. It is best to keep a sharp eye on conditions and be prepared to get out in a hurry.

S/V B'Shert
My boat came to grief there, but not due to weather or poor anchoring skills. For most of the year it is a perfectly fine and safe place to anchor, until someone swims out and unties it and waits for it to drift ashore so they can claim it is "free salvage" as one did to me. Fortunately I found it still somewhat afloat rocking in surf and I was saved by my friends in the harbor patrol at 5 in the morning when they graciously yanked it off the beach with their patrol boat before the tide went out. But that was 35 years ago. I am sure people are not so inclined to do such things anymore.

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 16:36   #17

We anchored off beaches all the time prior to cruising Sardinia. Yes, it will definitely be uncomfortable and you'll be tossed around much more than in protected coves. You won't need 800ft of chain, and I can't imagine your windlass being able to handle the weight of all that tackle coming up from 100ft depth.

Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:15   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, natural one.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:30   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Legacy, sedan, 42'

There are many great responses to your questions. An anchoring expert on another forum, who has written a book on the subject, has repeatedly said you need to size your anchor and ground tackle not just to beat the performance of another anchor and set up but to beat "Mother Nature." The question is how extreme are the conditions you want to beat? You can size your anchor and ground tackle to such a degree that your boat can handle conditions that you and your passengers will be very uncomfortable in. Different people have different thresholds of comfort.

Proper sized ground tackle and anchor can be selected for the conditions in your original post without question. If you want more information on designing this set up, we can communicate back and forth off the forum.l
Steve Bedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:22   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You can anchor anywhere you have enough chain to reach the bottom...may or may not be a good idea depending upon circumstances.

What exactly is it you are trying to accomplish?
Bingo.

It's not that you can't but all things being equal it's usually much higher risk compared to a well protected anchorage.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:36   #21

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

I like to drop an anchor on a shorter scope from the stern, chances are if you start dragging the stern anchor will cause the motion of your boat to change and you'll feel it and be able to do something about it.

Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:48   #22

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I see no problem in anchoring off shore if you think first. Depth/scope, is your tackle adequate assuming the worst? Distance/reaction time, are you far enough out to have plenty of time to react in a dragging situation? Have you taken bearings and set an anchor alarm to detect dragging? Is the weather forecast ok? On the other hand, leaving the boat and going offshore should be reserved for desperate circumstances where you are deciding your life is more important then saving your boat and you don't think you can head offshore and ride it out. In that case what were you doing going offshore in extreme conditions?
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:26   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural_one View Post
A question ive had for some time, that i can never find a straight forward non
biased answer for.

how practical is it to anchor your vessel off the land with open ocean on one side and land on the other.

the answers i always see to this question are:
* you cant anchor by the beach, if the wave size increases you'll be to close to the shore
*you cant anchor in the ocean, if there is a storm your anchor will drag
*you cant anchor in the ocean, its too deep you wont have a long enough tackle for enough scope.
*you cant anchor in the ocean, because its not comfortable to sleep

My straight forward, non-biased answer for theses four considerations might be too simplistic, but definitely straight forward and non-biased.

*You can anchor by the beach when you determine that the wave size is appropriate for your vessel and ground tackle.
*You can anchor by the beach if your attentive to the weather forecast and are confident of the conditions.
*You can anchor in the ocean after determining the depth and that you have the appropriate amount of rode for a proper scope.
*You can anchor in the ocean if you find it comfortable.

Of course, all these answers were already given in your question. I've anchored at beaches with 1,000 miles plus of open fetch, but not without considering all these obvious conditions.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:31   #24

Thanks for all the quick replies!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Put the wine glasses away and go for it.

If you really have 800 ft of chain you would be fine. Ships stand in open roadsteads all the time.

Be well outside the breakers with lots of scope. Stay onboard a few hours to check.

It would not be comfortable on board, and I don't see how you could easily beach the dinghy.

I think sailors who are surfers do this often

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Yes you can but you have to be vigilant. Seas can come up quite rapidly making a return to the boat a challenge. .
I actually happen to be a surfing sailor, i forgot in the OP to mention
-return to the vessel-, i would only be comfortable anchoring in unprotected waters
when im next to a river mouth, reef inlet or rocky bay that is otherwise to small to navigate through, which will give me the opportunity to launch the dink in protected inland waters and navigate out to sea without running into much waves. i also forgot to mention that in this hypothetical situation that i would have adequate chafe gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
You can anchor anywhere you have enough chain to reach the bottom...may or may not be a good idea depending upon circumstances.

What exactly is it you are trying to accomplish?
y a
I am a surfer a sailor but most importantly an adventurer, i dont want to hop from marina to marina with alot of protected waters and a ton of people like the ICW or carribean. id rather be cruising the south pacific where there are a lot of places you can find yourself with stunning un spoiled nature but also with out any protected water yet still wanting to explore land. fair examples are: (only making an assumtion on geographical situation NOT legal, political or opinions)
Maupiti Island
-16.446718, -152.255506
which has a small inlet which may or may not be able to facilitate a large sailboat
or
Fatu Hiva
-10.477975, -138.666981
has on a chip in the topography which is called the bay of virgins
has little to none protection from any storms from the west.

as for that video he could've had it the first go if he had a little bit better health. i do see that being the only variable that could stand in my way, is the sea state when trying to board, i guess i just need some grappling hooks and a rope ladder like a pirate haha
natural_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:36   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
My straight forward, non-biased answer for theses four considerations might be too simplistic, but definitely straight forward and non-biased.

*You can anchor by the beach when you determine that the wave size is appropriate for your vessel and ground tackle.
*You can anchor by the beach if your attentive to the weather forecast and are confident of the conditions.
*You can anchor in the ocean after determining the depth and that you have the appropriate amount of rode for a proper scope.
*You can anchor in the ocean if you find it comfortable.

Of course, all these answers were already given in your question. I've anchored at beaches with 1,000 miles plus of open fetch, but not without considering all these obvious conditions.
thanks!
I looking at weather forcasts are definatly an importnant thing to consider before hand
that'll be dumb if i do this right before a typhoon.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:39   #26

Also i want to thank this whole community for being what it is I've learned so much from all of you over the years and every question i've ever had i found the answer here and never needed to ask.
so thanks to all
Old 10-02-2016, 09:54   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
You'll be fine, no worries, what could go wrong?

Great video. Got to love that lack of seamanship. We always used the stern for boarding when the boat was rolling like that. Secondly, always set up a wide step boarding ladder that had solid stainless hand holds. Finally, we had rounded hand holds fixed on deck so getting from the ladder to the boat was easy, no crawling(kind of like swimming pools have to get out of the pool).
The other problem is that Hudson Force Fifties are extremely rolly, and have few solid handholds on deck.
What no flopper stoppers?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:33   #28

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
Tayana42 is right on. This happens all the time on the Pacific coast, where neat little anchorages and bays are few and far between. When I first started sailing there, I was amazed that they anchored right out in the ocean. They would call a tiny indent in the coast line a "bay". But then again that ocean is more settled than the Atlantic. When it does get nasty, man, it is rough, but its usually well forecasted. There are a bunch of derelict liveaboards outside Marina del Rey who are in the ocean all the time. When a bad swell is predicted they come inside and the locals hold their noses and let them stay, so long as they get right back out as soon as possible.
Only one out there right now and we have Santa Anas so it is fairly flat.
800 Feet of chain would come close to swamping a 40 footer don't you think?
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:39   #29

You are correct. 800 feet of bbb half inch chain would be almost a ton of weight, anchor included. Put that in the bow of a 40 footer and she would either bury her bow or, if the chain shifted, roll over. Suspect the windlass motor would burn out bringing that much chain aboard in one go. Maybe he meant a key chain?
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 13:53   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When there's a whole lot of pitching motion on the boat, we tend to board at the shrouds, we have a boarding step that we hang off the toerail. Board on the downroll.

Ann

Tags
anchor, anchoring, rot, water