Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2018, 11:57   #1

Boat: Aloha 34
Problem with Horizon H900 Windlass

Windlass had been working fine for the 2 months I have had the boat, when I recently ran into difficulties when trying to lift the anchor after it had drifted several hundred feet in a very weedy area and accumulated a HUGE amount of weeds that the windlass couldn't lift and ended up tripping the 70A breaker. Took me a while to locate the problem and breaker. In the meantime I located the solenoid and had a look inside it, it looked quite clean although I couldn't figure out how to completely dismantle it to get at the actual contacts. I reset the breaker and the motor works fine in DOWN mode but when trying UP mode, with no load on it at all, actually feeding free chain from above, it strains to turn but acts again like it's under tremendous strain and I suspect if I held it on for m ore than 1 second, it will trip the breaker again. Any suggestions, ideas? If it was a brush problem in the motor, would it still work fine in DOWN mode? The situation is the same whether I use the toggle switch at the helm or the remote switch at the windlass.
sunluvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass