Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2011, 13:19   #16

Boat: Gib sea 43
Re: Plastimo Kobra 2 Anchor

Thanks for the help. i think ill go with the cobra 2 and over size it a little, 25kg version on 10,400 kg boat 13m and 50m of 10mm chain , the anchor locker isn't that big and chain is expensive!!! now to find a good price from a scrap dealer for the old chain
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:37   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Steven,

I also faced a rusty chain on buying April Lass which was connected to a copy CQR anchor. The previous owner was honest enough to say he had difficulty getting it to hold. The spare was a Bruce copy. Since money was tight having just bought the boat I opted for a genuine Delta anchor over the latest generation anchors that were becoming popular. The Delta and CQR were similar weight but the Delta had a much larger blade area.

The lack of any markings on the drums of chain in the South Coast chandlers was also a worry, so after days of searching found Badney Chains in Birmingham. I rang them up with the numbers off the winch gypsy which the recognised straight away so were able to offer me 8mm calibrated chain. It arrived in 48 hours in a big drum. The one mistake I made was only ordering 30m, I wish we had ordered 40m for a 31 ft yacht which it could have easily stored in the anchor locker.

Bradney Chain - Lifting chain | Lifting Slings | Anchor Chain | Mooring Chain | Chain Slings | in Dudley, West Midlands

Given your location and size of yacht, I would be looking at 50m of chain and possibly 60m. Reports on the Moody Owners forum though suggest that 60m of chain has a habit of becoming a pyramid when winching in so a poke with a stick is required.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2011, 13:43   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Do you need 10mm?

8mm chain has a breaking load of 4000 kgs. That would pull the front end of my yacht off, or if we empty it completely probably lift it.

Pete
Old 24-10-2011, 13:56   #19

the windlass takes 10mm chain, so unless i change it.... going to cost 500 pounds for 50m chain and the anchor already, but hey i managed to get a year old katadyn water maker for a grand so one bill is less might just splash out and get 60m of chain. the thing im thinking is ,that unless you are very isolated most people are going to be on a scope of 3-5 , when will i ever use more?
Old 24-10-2011, 14:42   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensuf View Post
but hey i managed to get a year old katadyn water maker for a grand
Oi, there is a queue you know, you can't just buy a boat and pick up bargins like that

Quote:
might just splash out and get 60m of chain. the thing im thinking is ,that unless you are very isolated most people are going to be on a scope of 3-5 , when will i ever use more?
Probably not and if you do then the is a point of vanishing returns in terms of the extra weight when a good length of anchor plait would do just as well.

Pete
Old 25-10-2011, 00:31   #21

Pete , I've been so lucky with this boat, i bought it for buttons, loads of gear wasnt working, ie the windlass,autopilot,fridge, gps,vhf and one head. It took me three days and the grand total of 450 pounds to fix them all.

Gps had no power , I cut back cables and soldered in nice silver solder wont rust again.

Fridge was a low voltage prob and the fan was dead, again cut back the wires resoldered and got a replacement fan from maplins for 6 pounds.

The autopilot had a bend in the rudder position sensor, simple fix.

The windlass, the breaker was corroded and not letting power through.
new breaker 16 pounds from electrical factor.

The vhf wasn't actually broken , just a short in the coax , but i upgraded
it with a standard horizon one with ais built in, 330 pounds.

The head i just replaced with a new jabsco twist n lock unit, 60 pounds.

I had factored a good few thousand to fix her up.

Granted i have spent the money i put aside to fix her up on upgrades instead of
fixes 320 watts of solar and mppt controller , inverter, ice maker, portable air
con unit, a bargain watermaker, navtext, nasa wind display (only had a vane), led tv, new stereo and speaker, leds for all lights inside and out and looks like i may be getting a good condition used duogen for 800 quid.

I'm one happy chappy!
Old 25-10-2011, 01:03   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Excellent. Those Kobra 2 anchors seem well priced. Wouldn't hurt to go up one size at that price if you are planning on anchoring in some remote Scottish highland bay.

Pete
Old 25-10-2011, 01:58   #23

Im hoping to head to the med come spring, a bit of heat would not go far amiss, been well cold up here the last few years, global warming ba humbug! feels more like an ice age up here! 60m of 10mm chain and a 25kg kobra 2 it is, wouldnt mind one of those manson supremes but double the money!
Old 25-10-2011, 04:03   #24

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
the windlass takes 10mm chain, so unless i change it.... going to cost 500 pounds for 50m chain and the anchor already, but hey i managed to get a year old katadyn water maker for a grand so one bill is less might just splash out and get 60m of chain. the thing im thinking is ,that unless you are very isolated most people are going to be on a scope of 3-5 , when will i ever use more?
You will wish for more when it's the middle of the night and the wind is howling, and your GPS track shows you are slowly dragging and your plow anchor is plowing. You will not achieve optimum holding with less than 7:1 scope. Not saying you won't hold, just saying you could hold better.

A Delta is a good anchor -- sets point-down every time. Hard-pack and weed could be a problem and you will get better penetration and holding from the Manson Supreme (I have used both and they are about the same price in the US market). Much more fluke area for equal weight and sharper tip for penetration along with better shape for holding (not plowing). The steel Spade penetrates the bottom about equal to the Delta but has higher holding once set, because of the scoop shape. I have used that too, and it would be my second choice after Manson Supreme if the hoop of the Manson interferes with mounting on the bow.

As for length of chain, you only need chain to resist bottom abrasion, so there is no benefit to chain that is up off the bottom. In fact, you need some stretch in the system to improve holding (so you don't yank out the anchor when the rode snatches up bar-tight in a dynamic momentary load) so a mixed rode has better holding, is less dead weight in your bow and costs less.

Overall you need enough rode to give at least 7:1 when you need it in storms (don't forget to add the height of your bow and high tide in the calculation of "depth") and some extra working length. Out of the total length you will normally use, you should have about 1/4-2/3 chain to resist bottom abrasion IMHO, determined by bottom conditions (more in coral and sharp rock).

Decision factors to determine proportion in mixed-rodes:
—Abrasion hazards based on bottom type (rocky or coral)
—Some chain is desired to resist bottom abrasion and cuts
—More/all chain increases catenary
—More/all chain reduces swinging, and wandering in still air
—More/all chain reduces chance of prop cut or entanglement from passing boats
—Weight reduces boat performance, affects trim, is not desired in the ends of the boat.
—More weight in the anchor is more effective to improve holding than more weight in the chain.
++ Catenary goes away in storm conditions. It is no substitute for scope.
—All-chain reduces holding power except in very deep anchorages.*
*References:
Catenary & Scope In Anchor Rode: Anchor Systems For Small Boats “Catenary & Scope In Anchor Rode -- Anchor systems for small boats” by Peter Smith)
http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/rode.htm“Tuning an anchor rode” by Alain Fraysse
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 04:35   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In the UK the Manson 60 lb (27kg) anchor is £535 and the 25kg Kobra is £184. The Delta comes in mid way at £308. That is a huge difference in price, hence why Steven is looking at the Cobra 2 and I can't blame him either.

However, this might be an alternative, probably need a double berth to store it though.

FORTRESS FX-125 ANCHOR 69 lbs 31 kg YACHT BOAT | eBay

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FX125.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	32945  
Old 25-10-2011, 04:53   #26

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

that Kobra 2 anchor looks like the Sarca Excel.
SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au

Excel

Kobra 2

some videos of the Sarca
so it likely performs similarly.
Video - anchorright.com.au
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 05:16   #27

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
snip

http://alain.fraysse.free.fr/sail/rode/rode.htm“Tuning an anchor rode” by Alain Fraysse
Error in link. Here is the corrected link Tuning an Anchor Rode
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2011, 12:35   #28

Well in a few tests (for what they are worth) the kobra 2 had more holding power than the manson supreme.
Pete , where did you see the cobra for 184? cheapest ive found so far is a tenner more expensive, but hey its ten pounds thats better in my pocket
Old 16-11-2011, 04:53   #29

Plastimo Kobra 2 Anchor vs Sarca XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
that Kobra 2 anchor looks like the Sarca Excel.
SARCA in Action - anchorright.com.au

Excel

Kobra 2

some videos of the Sarca
so it likely performs similarly.
Video - anchorright.com.au
I have both the Kobra2 (20kg) & the SarcaXL (No5 - 22kgs). I bought the SarcaXL after the Kobra2 & I must say they are not really the same beast. There are subtle differences in the design of the Sarca & it's built with a high specification of metal. It's been a limited season for me but, so far, the Sarca has performed better in my local anchorages.

So I'm happy to use (& recommend) the SarcaXL as a No1, then the Kobra2 or even my old 45lb CQR.
RoseofWight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 11:00   #30

I ended up getting the kobra 2, lets see how it fairs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0009.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	33752  

Tags
anchor, kobra, plastimo