Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 05:41   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: Picking Up An Unknown Mooring Buoy ?

I got to want to be somewhere really bad before I will go there and pick up a mandatory mooring, unless I am pretty darn sure it is secure. When anchoring is an option, I anchor.
Old 29-01-2013, 06:12   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

It's an interesting dilemma, You are forced to take a mooring, yet have to assume all liability for its condition. I would think that (at least in the US) the release you are forced to sign is not worth the paper it is written on were there a loss and it was taken to court.
Old 29-01-2013, 07:16   #33

Alright, read through most answers and found only one (Don) who does the same as us: we pick up the mooring (as long as we are directed to it or somebodyconfirms that it's ok for us to use) and then back down hard on it. If it goes, we moor eslewhere.

The logic is that if it can handle our max rpms, we'll be ok should a squall come through. If it breaks, we saved a maintenance check for the restaurant/marina who own this mooring.

We do the same after we anchor. Why would mooring be any different?
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 10:19   #34

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Picking up an unknown Mooring Buoy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Maybe it depends where you are and what you pick up.
The local visitor moorings around Sydney are maintained by government contractors and seem to be well maintained.
I am very reluctant to trust an unknown mooring that is not a government one.
That said we have had an incident where 20 mooring were damaged by irresponsible boat owners who overloaded other peoples moorings by rafting up with large boats which then were hit by a storm.
So maybe you can't even trust your own mooring if you have been off it for a while.
um, no, they arent (well maintained) ive written 3 times to maritime about a courtesy mooring with a frayed loop (at least its obvious) on a 20 tonne mooring - over a year, nothing, still frayed.
Learnt my lesson at 3 in the morning on a borrowed (abandoned?) mooring when something (probably movement on a dead calm night) woke me to go on deck and find myself drifting lazily to within 2 feet of the next boat before i got under way. At least i know my anchor is well maintained.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 00:34   #35

Boat: Lavezzi 40, Pourpre

Hmmm, thanks for educating me guys.
I will definitely be rethinking my use of unknown moorings now.
Dragon Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2013, 01:30   #36

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Picking up an unknown Mooring Buoy ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Lady View Post
Maybe it depends where you are and what you pick up.
The local visitor moorings around Sydney are maintained by government contractors and seem to be well maintained.
I am very reluctant to trust an unknown mooring that is not a government one.
That said we have had an incident where 20 mooring were damaged by irresponsible boat owners who overloaded other peoples moorings by rafting up with large boats which then were hit by a storm.
So maybe you can't even trust your own mooring if you have been off it for a while.
I have trusted the WA (US) state buoys with no qualms for 20 years. Last summer I noticed many were missing. I called to find out if they were permanently being removed due to money issues. Turned out their supplier had recently substituted a Chinese brand of chain.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring