Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 16-02-2018, 05:41   #2806

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

JonJo
I suspect those tethers are there for the same reason as mine.
My tether is about 10 ft and I use it to secure the anchor in the rollers. Having it permanently on the anchor reminds me to use it, and its right there when I want it.

A long, long time ago, in heavy seas, my anchor jumped out of the roller and pulled out a lot of chain before being stopped by a chain "knot". Otherwise all 250ft of chain could have run out. It was noisy and I hadn't heard anything but had this funny feeling that something was wrong. I hove to and went forward. It was night, I was single handed and, had I not been in deep water... need I say more?
After everything was sorted, a quiet word with my Friend was in order.

Since then, I always, always used an anchor tether.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2018, 08:56   #2807

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueazimuth View Post
JonJo
I suspect those tethers are there for the same reason as mine.
My tether is about 10 ft and I use it to secure the anchor in the rollers. Having it permanently on the anchor reminds me to use it, and its right there when I want it.

A long, long time ago, in heavy seas, my anchor jumped out of the roller and pulled out a lot of chain before being stopped by a chain "knot". Otherwise all 250ft of chain could have run out. It was noisy and I hadn't heard anything but had this funny feeling that something was wrong. I hove to and went forward. It was night, I was single handed and, had I not been in deep water... need I say more?
After everything was sorted, a quiet word with my Friend was in order.

Since then, I always, always used an anchor tether.
Under way sea-trialing some of our initial refit stuff, in nasty conditions, our new 55# CQR, our secondary of the time, in the Gulf of Mexico between Tarpon Springs and St. Pete, took itself and the 275' of new chain to the bottom in the middle of the night.

I'd thought to myself that I really ought to secure that somehow, before I left, but forgot. If I'd had a clue what that noise was, as it was only about 60' where we were, I *MIGHT* have been able to stop in time to save it.

The current secondary has the chain caribiner'd to a cleat, and the primary has an AnchorLift stopper.

Now...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra