Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.86 average. Display Modes
Old 23-01-2017, 07:57   #2626
Marine Service Provider

Re: Photos of Anchors Setting

Kudos to all the individuals that take the time and put the work in, to do independent testing of anchors! Your hard work is appreciated.

Video testimonials are great in showing real world scenarios, and can not be disputed as the evidence is right there.

As a consumer, when we are purchasing a new product, we look to reviews from customers before making a final decision on the purchase. The more reviews the better! As we are yet to see a manufacturer do an underwater series, we differ to independent testing for results we can actually see. Reviews or testing from the manufacturer mean very little to nothing in that decision process.

Thank you again to everyone for the Anchor enthusiasm!
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:09   #2627
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post
Video testimonials are great in showing real world scenarios, and can not be disputed as the evidence is right there.

As a consumer, when we are purchasing a new product, we look to reviews from customers before making a final decision on the purchase. The more reviews the better! As we are yet to see a manufacturer do an underwater series, we differ to independent testing for results we can actually see. Reviews or testing from the manufacturer mean very little to nothing in that decision process.
Hopefully coming soon to a theater near you!

Regarding independent testing of any type that is "real world," so to speak, for maximum value it should also focus upon and simulate conditions that a boater is more (or even most) likely to encounter while at anchor, as opposed to focusing on an extremely rare and highly unlikely occurrence.
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 09:55   #2628
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
Hopefully coming soon to a theater near you!

Regarding independent testing of any type that is "real world," so to speak, for maximum value it should also focus upon and simulate conditions that a boater is more (or even most) likely to encounter while at anchor, as opposed to focusing on an extremely rare and highly unlikely occurrence.
Completely disagree:

Most modern anchors hold well in a straight line pull. Testing of directional changes is about as real world as you can get within a reasonable budget. Why repeatedly test straight line pulls? Go to any new generation anchor site and the straight line pull data will be there. How many times in a storm does the wind/current remain in a straight line? Tides and winds change daily (some areas hourly) mimicking those real world, everyday scenarios is key to find the right anchor for an individuals particular use.

I want to be prepared for everything possible not just the "normal" days.
Old 23-01-2017, 09:59   #2629

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Fortress, noelex posted many pictures which showed "new generation" anchors, some of which didn't ever set well, some of which appeared to have stayed buried, and turned to face the new direction when the wind shifted.

In the kinds of bottoms he took pics in, what would you expect a correctly sized Fortress anchor to do in the wind shifts? My other question is what weight Fortress would you recommend for his boat, if he weren't using the oversize Mantus? and would that recommendation be for use as a primary anchor?

Thanks.

Ann
Old 23-01-2017, 10:50   #2630
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Completely disagree:

Most modern anchors hold well in a straight line pull.
Actually, this depends on the bottom condition. The holding power and performance of most anchors will fall off of a cliff in soft mud, even from a straight line pull.

Quote:
Testing of directional changes is about as real world as you can get within a reasonable budget.
Agreed. In 1995 the Sailing Foundation conducted pull tests from straight line, 90° and 180° directions. The bottom type consisted of "some scattered eel grass, kelp, and mostly sand" as per the test report. The maximum pull limit of 4,000 lbs was imposed, and the Fortress FX-37 held to that limit in all three directions:

photo uploading websites

Quote:
Why repeatedly test straight line pulls?
Two reasons - when an anchor is initially set, it is typically under a load from a straight line pull, and it is possible that for common short-term anchoring, the wind load might continue to come from this direction.

Secondly, if an anchor cannot handle much of a straight line pull, which is when it should perform optimally, then you might never find out how well it handles a wind shift....it will have broken free from the sea bottom beforehand.

Quote:
Go to any new generation anchor site and the straight line pull data will be there.
Please direct me to any new generation anchor site which has straight line holding power numbers / test data for their anchor models.

Quote:
I want to be prepared for everything possible not just the "normal" days.
Obviously, but normal days is not what I was referring to, I was referring to an abnormal event for which there are not enough zeroes on your calculator to figure out the likelihood of that anchoring event.

Tests which show an anchor being minimally loaded and then the boat is driven over the anchor at a nominal rate of speed and the anchor is yanked at a short scope from the opposite direction to see if or how it will re-engage the bottom is an example.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:09   #2631
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Fortress, noelex posted many pictures which showed "new generation" anchors, some of which didn't ever set well, some of which appeared to have stayed buried, and turned to face the new direction when the wind shifted.

In the kinds of bottoms he took pics in, what would you expect a correctly sized Fortress anchor to do in the wind shifts? My other question is what weight Fortress would you recommend for his boat, if he weren't using the oversize Mantus? and would that recommendation be for use as a primary anchor?

Thanks.

Ann
Hi Ann,

I think that from the images I have seen of idyllic sand bottoms, a Fortress would perform superbly in those conditions which appear to be comparable to what we have in our local coastal waters.

For his boat size, displacement, and windage, I would consider the FX-55 which weighs about 32 lbs (14.5 kg), or if he is likely to encounter high winds and poorer holding bottoms such as soft mud, then sizing up for a primary anchor to the 47 lb (21.2 kg) FX-85 would be advisable.

Here's an image that I posted of this model in another thread which gives you an indication of its physical size. It is not a model that I would attempt to deploy by handle due to its bulk.

free upload pictures

You are very welcome,
Brian
Old 23-01-2017, 11:18   #2632
Marine Service Provider

Response in red.

Originally Posted by Fortress:
Please direct me to any new generation anchor site which has straight line holding power numbers / test data for their anchor models.

http://www.mantusanchors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/anchor_load_revealed.pdf
Reviews | Rocna® Anchors
Rocna Knowledge Base
SARCA Certification - anchorright.com.au
Determining What Size Anchor You Need - The World’s Best Anchors!
XYZ Boat Anchor Specification - Technical information on XYZ Extreme Boat Anchor
http://www.manson-marine.co.nz/Ancho...st%20Nov09.pdf

I can post more but got bored, let me know if you want them. Like I said its common.
This also adds to my point of seek out independent testing. Because by some major surprise all of these companies say their anchor is the best.

Originally Posted by Fortress:
Obviously, but normal days is not what I was referring to, I was referring to an abnormal event for which there are not enough zeroes on your calculator to figure out the likelihood of that anchoring event.

Tests which show an anchor being minimally loaded and then the boat is driven over the anchor at a nominal rate of speed and the anchor is yanked at a short scope from the opposite direction to see if or how it will re-engage the bottom is an example.[/QUOTE]

Most people want the primary/bow anchor to be able to handle "normal" and "abnormal" conditions. Why have an anchor on the bow that when "adverse" conditions are in the forecast, you need to change it over to an anchor that can handle that condition? I do not want to have something crazy about to happen and my first thought is "time to change the anchor".
Old 23-01-2017, 11:37   #2633
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Hi All,

With all due respect I really value this thread and find it informative and useful.

The Title of the thread is: Photos of Anchors Setting

And I would like the thread to go back to sharing and discussing photos of anchors setting.

I value when a vendor jumps in and clarifies something said about or seen in a photo. This adds to the value of the thread.

I value the back and forth between vendors but that does not belong in this thread IMO. I would hope that they take that back and forth to a new thread titled (please take in humor) "Vendors Grappling with each other for Market Share". Or some other better title.

With respect....
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 11:53   #2634
Sponsoring Vendor

[QUOTE=Spade Anchor;2310240]Response in red.

http://www.mantusanchors.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/anchor_load_revealed.pdf
Reviews | Rocna® Anchors
Rocna Knowledge Base
XYZ Boat Anchor Specification - Technical information on XYZ Extreme Boat Anchor

I can post more but got bored, let me know if you want them. Like I said its common.
This also adds to my point of seek out independent testing. Because by some major surprise all of these companies say their anchor is the best.

Maybe I was not clear, because other than our selection guide table which shows hard sand and soft mud holding power numbers for each model, no other anchor manufacturer publishes this data, or ANY actual holding power data, for each of their models.
Old 23-01-2017, 11:55   #2635
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Hi All,

With all due respect I really value this thread and find it informative and useful.

The Title of the thread is: Photos of Anchors Setting

And I would like the thread to go back to sharing and discussing photos of anchors setting.

I value when a vendor jumps in and clarifies something said about or seen in a photo. This adds to the value of the thread.

I value the back and forth between vendors but that does not belong in this thread IMO. I would hope that they take that back and forth to a new thread titled (please take in humor) "Vendors Grappling with each other for Market Share". Or some other better title.

With respect....
Understood and thank you for the gentle reminder.
Old 23-01-2017, 12:16   #2636
Marine Service Provider

[QUOTE=Fortress;2310276]
Quote:
Response in red.

Reviews | Rocna® Anchors
Rocna Knowledge Base

Maybe I was not clear, because other than our selection guide table which shows hard sand and soft mud holding power numbers for each model, no other anchor manufacturer publishes this data, or ANY actual holding power data, for each of their models.
Really? All of those links above correspond to a manufacturer posting holding power data. Below are more links from manufacturers and their published data. Fortress is not the only company that posts its data.

Rocna:
Independent Anchor Performance Testing
Manson:

I would post more but, 8 is Enough. (haha)

This is our last post on this topic on this thread, as we felt the need to address anchor testing results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11221858_1452268068427188_4472784483787683412_o.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	140007  
Old 23-01-2017, 12:36   #2637
Sponsoring Vendor

See red rectangles - Holding power numbers by each model number.

free upload pictures

I'm out.

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Old 24-01-2017, 19:25   #2638

Boat: C&C 34

Any other manufacturers want to drive away some customers????
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 20:15   #2639

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
As we are yet to see a manufacturer do an underwater series, we differ to independent testing for results we can actually see

What about this?
http://www.mantusanchors.com/test-video/

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 15:26   #2640

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

malbert73,

What about that link? This only my opinion, but I thought that video presented a pretty biased view, and the one with the 10 lb. and under anchors had little to do with anchoring large vessels like our cruising boats, but by then I had lost patience with the propaganda, which was how it struck me, because of the method: give it a quick yank downhill with inadequate scope, and you can get lots of anchcors to drag.

When cruisers go to anchor, we pay careful attention to having adequate scope.

We have been anchoring for a long time in varying bottoms, with a 60 lb Manson Supreme, for a few years now, anchoring out most of the time. It has dragged once, in 55plus, in a poor bottom. So show me the picture that video showed and one would conclude the Manson is a POS; but our experience is different.

Just for the sake of history, we have lain to a CQR type plow, also in 50 plus, and not dragged. There's a lot of safe nights at anchor spent with that one, too. And, oddly enough, with our old Danforth HT 20 lb., on Jim's Yankee 30. Anchor design has moved on, and CQR types have their failure modes, but you have to consider that anchor salesmen want to sell anchors.

Please do not mistake me, the Mantus is probably a fine anchor--it is the misleading nature of their video that aggravated me-- but I have no experience with it. And do remember that the one noelex uses is quite heavy, 110 lbs., iirc.

Ann

Tags
anchor, Brittany, Bruce, Bugel, cqr, Danforth, delta, fortress, Jambo, kobra, Manson Supreme, Mantus, photo, rocna, Spade, Ultra