Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 22:51   #1

Boat: Franz Maas 37
Parachute sea anchors

I'm going to buy a parachute style sea anchor prior to setting off across the Pacific next year. There are a few different brands on the market. West Marine and Defender sell the PARA-TECH. They seem to cost significantly less than some others on the market.

Has anyone used a sea anchor to heave to in storm conditions and if so, what brand do you have and, given similar storm conditions in the future, would you use the same brand?

Also when you have used one of these devices, were there any problems deploying and retrieving it, and did it perform as you expected? Did you use a trip line for retrieval?

I have all the theoretical knowledge regarding parachute anchors, but I have no practical experience. I would like to hear from those who have genuine experience with them in heavy weather.
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:16   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Parachute sea anchors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auzzee View Post
I'm going to buy a parachute style sea anchor prior to setting off across the Pacific next year. There are a few different brands on the market. West Marine and Defender sell the PARA-TECH. They seem to cost significantly less than some others on the market.

Has anyone used a sea anchor to heave to in storm conditions and if so, what brand do you have and, given similar storm conditions in the future, would you use the same brand?

Also when you have used one of these devices, were there any problems deploying and retrieving it, and did it perform as you expected? Did you use a trip line for retrieval?

I have all the theoretical knowledge regarding parachute anchors, but I have no practical experience. I would like to hear from those who have genuine experience with them in heavy weather.
I have only used mine for training and even then in nothing more than around 18 Kts.

Setting directly off the bow was easy, setting on a bridle with a line back to the quarter Pardey style was somewhat more difficult.

Retrieving was very difficult, I haven't tried using a trip line. Managed to get the rode wrapped around the keel once .

Not sorry to say that I can't offer real time heavy weather experience .

FWIW, I built my own para anchor but it is only around 12 ft.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32   #3

Boat: Fantasia 35

Here is an article about one boat's experience using a parachute sea anchor:

Fantasia 35

Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 10:47   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I suggest you get this book first. We listened to the Pardeys present a seminar based on their experience and we got the book. It is really useful and it may change your storm planning to not include a sea anchor. I was particularly intrigued with fore-reaching as a way out of a storm.

We also considered one but retrieval would be dangerous at the least and perhaps not even possible. You could also consider a Sailrite Drogue instead. Sailrite stocks drogue It is easier to deploy and retrieve and will be considerably less brutal to your boat.

Storm Tactics Handbook: Modern Methods of Heaving-to for Survival in Extreme Conditions,3rd Edition: Lin Pardey,Larry Pardey: 9781929214471: Amazon.com: Books
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor