Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 20:12   #16

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
re: Oversize Bruce Anchor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
It's better in clay than any other anchor.
You have the test data to back up this statement?

And I made no "claim" - the words 'I gather' suggest an assumption, or belief.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 20:21   #17

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

My Bruce has been great in sand and clay. One more limitation in addition to barnakiel's list: it's terrible in silt. I dragged twice with it, and had dug it in by hand both times. What it was, I was in a weedy area, but managed to drop the hook in a clear spot but that had the same silty substrate as weed. In higher winds or a shift, the Bruce just plowed right through the anchorage.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 20:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I don't think that's oversized at all. I have 25kg/55lbs Bruce for a boat about the same size as yours..
Is that a genuine Bruce? That would be about the ideal size for me, but I thought the next size up from the 20 kg was the 30 kg.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 21:19   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

I use to have a 33# bruce but that one would drag every now and then. It would sometimes need to be reset too. Not bad, but for full time, the 44# is the way to go.

The 44# sets first time, every time and has held many a night with 30-35 gusting 40. Even one long night with 40 gusting 50, without moving an inch. I did get "some" sleep that night. Of course, 30 knots is just a fresh summer breeze on the SF bay. It works in the mud and sand in these parts.

The 44# and mind you it's the cheap $60 claw ((was $140, but discontinued on sale) from lewmar is a lovely anchor for my I34. I sleep very well. For the I34 is darn near perfect.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 05:53   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

RE oozy / silty bottoms: what we have learned is to drop the hook, back up only some, then let the weight of the anchor and the wind do the rest of the job. If the bottom is very low density and you immediately back up hard ... the anchor will plow thru as described above. PS this seems to affect many other types except (maybe) Danforth which seems to do somewhat better.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 06:22   #21

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Thanks for the tip barnakiel! I would probably add that it's also a good idea to have a lot of flexible snubber on the Bruce in those conditions as well. I'm not sure if it's the reason, but both times I dragged in silt were in sudden 40+ knot squalls. The snatch load came quickly, and I only had a 20' piece of thin line snubbing. This is probably approximate to your statement that hard reverses when setting cause the Bruce to plow through. More rope rode rather than chain may have helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 09:36   #22

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Is that a genuine Bruce? That would be about the ideal size for me, but I thought the next size up from the 20 kg was the 30 kg.
You are right I mixed up with other anchor. It's 20kg, not 25..
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 10:25   #23
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

While the discussion is about the choice of a primary anchor, I assume and hope, you will carry at least one additional and different type of anchor. I have seen several boats that that have two identical anchors. If, as sometimes happens, the first anchor fails to set, you need a different type of anchor.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2015, 08:01   #24

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful.
Jmord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 13:32   #25

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Jnc3,

We used a 44 lb. Bruce on our 36 footer for years. In addition to not liking thin muc bottoms, it also can fail by snagging a boulder in its "hand", which fills it up. Other than that, which is apparent as soon as you start to set it, it worked well.

Ann
Old 30-08-2015, 17:26   #26

Boat: Allied 39
Re: Oversize Bruce Anchor

We have been using a Bruce 20kg almost 30 years and a good portion of that time full time cruising. We have a 39' 27' waterline low free board sloop. Empty around 12000lbs. (what am I saying it's never been empty) Guessing must be something like 6000+ nights at anchor... Same 3/8 chain and same anchor.

I would think it should work great for you on your trip. Do note that the Bruce look a likes that are marketed by Lewmar do not set or hold as well. If you have one of the originals you will be in good shape.

I agree with other comments to go with all chain. Also with Anne about catching a boulder. That happened once with us and we needed a crowbar to dislodge the perfectly shaped stone.

Is it a perfect set everytime? Nope but about 99% of the time it works just fine for us.

With all that said we are looking forward to an upgrade Manson 60 when we get to NZ in a few years. By think I will think I have got my money out of the Bruce!

Have a great trip going south!!!

Chuck
Jacaranda
Nuku Hiva, Marquesas

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-08-2015, 12:21   #27

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We have been using a Bruce 20kg almost 30 years and a good portion of that time full time cruising. We have a 39' 27' waterline low free board sloop. Empty around 12000lbs. (what am I saying it's never been empty) Guessing must be something like 6000+ nights at anchor... Same 3/8 chain and same anchor.

I would think it should work great for you on your trip. Do note that the Bruce look a likes that are marketed by Lewmar do not set or hold as well. If you have one of the originals you will be in good shape.

I agree with other comments to go with all chain. Also with Anne about catching a boulder. That happened once with us and we needed a crowbar to dislodge the perfectly shaped stone.

Is it a perfect set everytime? Nope but about 99% of the time it works just fine for us.

With all that said we are looking forward to an upgrade Manson 60 when we get to NZ in a few years. By think I will think I have got my money out of the Bruce!

Have a great trip going south!!!

Chuck
Jacaranda
Nuku Hiva, Marquesas

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Chuck,
If it has worked great for 30 years why change? Its not like they wear out
Old 04-09-2015, 15:28   #28

Boat: Allied 39

Haha your onto something Paul! Maybe you just saved us a few hundred bucks
Old 04-09-2015, 15:55   #29

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

When we bought our boat in 1996, it came equipped with a 20kg Bruce (made in the UK) which I felt was undersized for our 48-foot, 40,000-pound ketch. I added a 30kg Bruce and 400' of 3/8"HT chain, which continues to serve us well although the chain was replaced about 10 years ago and is due for another replacement. We have covered over 40,000 miles in the last 5 years and our Bruce has dragged only once, Port Stevens, New South Wales, in very soft mud and very high winds. All that being said, if I were wealthier, I would probably invest in one of the new Super High Holding anchors.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, size