Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 23:30   #1
Zep

Noisey Mooring. Chain?

Hi Cruisers,

I have had my boat on my mooring for over 10 years and my previous boat 10 years also on the same mooring. I have the mooring serviced annually. This year they replaced some chain, ground chain. Since then the free length of mooring line seems shorter and it's much harder (heavier) to pull up the mooring line when I pick it up. Since it's never been that noisey before should I get him back to check it? It's a sandy bottom here and at low tide I usually have about 1.5m of water under the keel. Highest tides rise around 2m.

Happy New Year to all.

Zep
Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 13:45   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Noisey Mooring. Chain?

There's no harm in phoning him and talking about it. It is odd that it is noisy when it wasn't previously. Maybe the reason it's heavier feeling is that the old chain was so wasted that it was lighter? Maybe you'll want a slightly longer (if there's swinging room) floating line? Consider some chafe gear where the line comes over the bow roller.

Ann
Old 03-01-2018, 18:49   #3
Zep

Hi Anne, Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I intend to call him about it which only makes sense.
I do think the floating line is too short also that the chain is also a lot heavier. If the wind is over 6kts and I'm alone I can't get it over the deck cleat nor can I hold the boat. So anchoring and waiting for a while.

Thanks
Happy New Year
Old 03-01-2018, 21:14   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
Hi Anne, Jim,

Thanks for your reply. I intend to call him about it which only makes sense.
I do think the floating line is too short also that the chain is also a lot heavier. If the wind is over 6kts and I'm alone I can't get it over the deck cleat nor can I hold the boat. So anchoring and waiting for a while.

Thanks
Happy New Year
Yes, if you singlehand a lot, that is a real problem. You could consider an extension to the line, perhaps a suitably strong bit of dyneema, with a loop in both ends, cow hitch it to the mooring line and have it come over the roller to the deck cleat or samson post. Jim's been splicing dyneema for a while from online directions, it is pretty simple. We're using it for running backs and lifelines, and various soft shackles for this and that.

Cheers, and Happy New Year,

Ann
Old 04-01-2018, 01:25   #5
Zep

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Yes, if you singlehand a lot, that is a real problem. You could consider an extension to the line, perhaps a suitably strong bit of dyneema, with a loop in both ends, cow hitch it to the mooring line and have it come over the roller to the deck cleat or samson post. Jim's been splicing dyneema for a while from online directions, it is pretty simple. We're using it for running backs and lifelines, and various soft shackles for this and that.

Cheers, and Happy New Year,

Ann

Hi Ann,

Thanks again and your idea is worth a try for those windy days too.
I've been thinking about it all afternoon. I'll give the mooring guy a call tomorrow as I have a feeling that the swivel may have jammed and the chain has somehow twisted on itself. That could explain the shortness and extra weight. I'll let you know how it all turns out.
A funny story now about the mooring; my wife was up forward picking up the mooring when we were suddenly hit by a strong gust of wind. We had a "stupid" boathook with a hook at each end. As she picked up the buoy the bow blew away suddenly and the hook at the other end caught her bra strap. The combination held fast until I could get response from the engine to bring the situation under control. Needless to say the second hook was removed.

We're just home from a few days on the boat with grandkids.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2018, 01:58   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'day Zep,

Seems like your pennant is so short that you must lift some of the ground chain to get it over the roller and on to the cleat. This seems wrong to me... I can see no advantage to the setup and the problem that you have, plus having more load on the roller and pennant when the wind is calm is surely a disadvantage. In your place, I'd be adding enough length to the pennant to allow easy pickup and attachment. Only possible drawback is if you are too near neighboring boats and the increment to your swinging circle could lead to contact.

Will be interested to hear what the mooring wallah says.

Jim

Tags
mooring, noise