Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2012, 19:56   #1

Boat: CT 38
New Windlass ... Maxwell HRC-10???

Does anyone have any experiences with the new Maxwell HRC 10? I am upgrading and I'm trying to decide between it, the Maxwell HWC 1500 and the Lofrans Tigris.
Any input would be helpful.
kevball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 00:24   #2

Boat: Townson 34
Re: New Windlass ... Maxwell HRC-10???

I have a HRC 10 on my 34 footer. Work for me. Easy to install as well.
stevedasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 13:34   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

I have both a hwc1200 and a hwc 1500. They both have serious problems with electolysis between aluminium and stainless parts. On one, the spacer between the deck parts and the gearbox failed from internal corrosion. Also, the gearbox is an aluminium housing held together with s/s allen head cap screws, and the factory didn't use any anti-seize on them. When I recently had to rebuild the box I had to drill out the screws... not fun nor easy. Finally, the clutch diameter is pretty small, so that one has to really tighten the hell out of them to transmit full torque. Other brands seem to have much larger clutches that only require hand tightening.

On the other hand, we live at anchor and use the windlass a lot, and they do work well... until they fail.

I will not be buying another one of these models. Have no experience with their other lines.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-09-2012, 22:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

The HRC is very different than the HWC, no comparison really.

Seen a lot of HRC's used and heard no grizzles. The Lofrans is an oldie but a goodie. Heard the odd grizzle but as it's an older design and there are lots of them that isn't a surprise. The grizzle level is tiny and would be in the 'insignificant' area.

The HRC is a newer design so more efficient when talking power usage, it's also rope/chain capable. The Lofrans isn't R2C capable but has proven itself with the test of time.

Dealing with them day in day out as I do, I'm calling this a 50/50. I'd happily use either myself.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW,

I have both a hwc1200 and a hwc 1500. They both have serious problems with electolysis between aluminium and stainless parts. On one, the spacer between the deck parts and the gearbox failed from internal corrosion. Also, the gearbox is an aluminium housing held together with s/s allen head cap screws, and the factory didn't use any anti-seize on them. When I recently had to rebuild the box I had to drill out the screws... not fun nor easy. Finally, the clutch diameter is pretty small, so that one has to really tighten the hell out of them to transmit full torque. Other brands seem to have much larger clutches that only require hand tightening.

On the other hand, we live at anchor and use the windlass a lot, and they do work well... until they fail.

I will not be buying another one of these models. Have no experience with their other lines.

Cheers,

Jim
OOOps!!!

My bad! My two windlasses are VWC's, not HWC's. Don't know how that got by me.

Sorry for the bad info

Jim
Old 11-09-2012, 01:14   #6

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Thank Fek for that Jim as I have a buyer for my VWC and have jagged a HWC2200 at the right price as a replacement.

But which bits are stainless?
Mine all seem to be chrome/bronze appart from the shaft.
Old 11-09-2012, 15:32   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Thank Fek for that Jim as I have a buyer for my VWC and have jagged a HWC2200 at the right price as a replacement.

But which bits are stainless?
Mine all seem to be chrome/bronze appart from the shaft.
G'Day CMD,

The main vertical shaft is s/s, and the part that joins the bottom of the deck casting to the gearbox (through which the shaft runs) is an aluminium casting.

On the 1200 there wasn't even a seal on the shaft where it emerges from the deck casting and bushing, so that salt water could run down the shaft into the aluminium "adapter". This item had a drain hole, perhaps 3mm in diameter, to allow water to escape. Predictably, that small hole clogged up with aluminium hydroxide powder after a while, and apparently the thing filled up, and it became a nice battery! My first clue was when it fell apart, for the paint on the outside was still in good nick, but the bare ally on the inside was essentially gone.

The 1500 has a simple "vee" seal on the main shaft, a different couipling between gearbox and deck casting and a somewhat larger drain. This has reduced the issue I had with the 1200, but when the worm gear failed recently (likely due to chain repeatedly jamming in the chain pipe) I found that the 4 6x40 mm allen head cap screws that hold the aluminium gearbox case together had not had any anti seize applied to them at the factory. Thus I had to drill out the bolts in order to rebuild the gearbox... this resulted in the use of harsh language at times.

It is interesting to note that while the newer windlass is rated at 1500 rather than 1200 lbs pull, the motor and gearbox are the same. I wonder where the extra 300 lbs came from? Likely the advertising department??

Again, I recognize that these windlasses have pulled my anchor up hundreds of times... they do work, but these design faults are enough to drive this customer away unless some big changes come along.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 11-09-2012, 16:07   #8

Thanks for that Jim
So sounds like even though my HWC is new/old stock and unused it'll be well worth my while to strip it , clean it, re-grease with some decent grease and reassemble using duralac/tefgel or at least lanolin.
Then a spray with some form of protectant over the motor before mounting.

The VWC is selling now if interested in another
It really is in as new condition.
VWC 1500 selling now
Old 11-09-2012, 18:24   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
Thanks for that Jim
So sounds like even though my HWC is new/old stock and unused it'll be well worth my while to strip it , clean it, re-grease with some decent grease and reassemble using duralac/tefgel or at least lanolin.
Then a spray with some form of protectant over the motor before mounting.

The VWC is selling now if interested in another
It really is in as new condition.
VWC 1500 selling now
Yes, that premptive servicing would be a bloody good idea. You can bet that when I finally reassembled mine here a few days ago I used a ton of lanolin on the screws and sprayed the whole lot with CRC Longlife as per the manual.
Incidentally, I was pleasantly surprised by how good the motor was inside. Little wear on the brushes, not so much carbon dust, everything looking pretty good.

And no, I don't need another one... one spare is enough weight to lug around!

Cheers,

Jim

PS When will you be splashing the new boat? Or is that a bad manners question to ask?
Old 11-09-2012, 23:52   #10

Quote:
PS When will you be splashing the new boat? Or is that a bad manners question to ask?
It is a sore point that's for sure.

Pointless busting a gut and splashing it now as it'll cost $$$ to park it for no real reason (Backyard is free).

Mother inlaw is losing the plot and the Father inlaw and sons think the daughter will be around indefinitely to look after her even though they are fully aware of what our plans have been.

We have offered several alternative options, even offering to use some of our own funds but none are deemed good enough or warranted yet and father inlaw and sons dont see an issue while the daughter is around and the dutiful daughter wont just bugger off and leave them to it..............yet.

Something will happen sooner or later and I doubt it will be pretty.
Old 13-09-2012, 13:25   #11

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
OOOps!!!

My bad! My two windlasses are VWC's, not HWC's. Don't know how that got by me.

Sorry for the bad info

Jim
That's good news! I have an HWC2200 and was beginning to worry. Maybe there is still a worry ahead of me but I'll wait.

Mine operates from 24vdc. IT IS AN IMPRESSIVE PIECE OF MACHINERY! I have 5/16"HT chain and an an 80# Manson Supreme hanging from it.

I only wish I had thought more about my installation prior to actually doing it. The thing I wish I had done was to attach and use a magnetic switch or an optical switch attached to the main shaft. The purpose is to send notice that a shaft revolution was completed and send that data to anything that can count along with display how much chain is deployed.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 14:48   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post

I only wish I had thought more about my installation prior to actually doing it. The thing I wish I had done was to attach and use a magnetic switch or an optical switch attached to the main shaft. The purpose is to send notice that a shaft revolution was completed and send that data to anything that can count along with display how much chain is deployed.

Foggy
Easy fix

Tags
maxwell