Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 12:59   #76

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: New West Marine Recall on Rocna Anchors

bending a rocna video

looks easy to bend for that category anchor. Looking at the steel thickness it also makes sense it would bend. Would you do that to a new anchor?
That particular size anchor is meant to go on what sized boat?

ok found it
http://www.boatersworld.com/product/...ntent={adtype}
Quote:
Boat Length: 16 ft.(<11,000 lbs.) - 26 ft.(<2,200 lbs.)
Weight: 13 lbs.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 13:09   #77

Boat: a sailing boat

Well, I watched that video. OK, it is a smallish anchor. And yet ... should it bend THAT easily?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 13:15   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
bending a rocna video

looks easy to bend for that category anchor. Looking at the steel thickness it also makes sense it would bend. Would you do that to a new anchor?
That particular size anchor is meant to go on what sized boat?
It is a 6kg "fisherman" type and is recommended for between a 16' boat of up to 11,000lbs and a 26' boat of up to 2,200lbs.
The sizing chart can be found here: Sizing Chart » Rocna Anchors

Why bend it: it was a test conducted in 2010 after being informed by a customer that his had bent like butter.
Old 23-08-2011, 13:24   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, I watched that video. OK, it is a smallish anchor. And yet ... should it bend THAT easily? b.
Interesting question. How much weight do you think the average bloke can apply by pressing down with his foot? 100lbs perhaps?

If the 6kg Rocna is designed for up to 26ft yachts, what is the load in say 30 knots? Well the Fortress anchor website says you need a holding requirement of 490 lbs. Whether this is the same as the pull or has a safety margin built in I am not sure, but interesting.

The steel trailer wheel looked a lot thinner and didn't bend. Perhaps they should make them out of old bits of steel instead.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 13:39   #80
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, I watched that video. OK, it is a smallish anchor. And yet ... should it bend THAT easily?

b.
One way to find out, stick a few different 6kg anchors in a wheel and try it. Then stick lever arm into google. The youtube doesn't really provide anything useful. I've heard that yaching monthly magazine in the uk are doing an investigation into the shank steel, maybe they'll test to see how bendy the shanks are.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 17:33   #81

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Even though the 'test' in the video is crude, it illustrates the point of the importance of HT steel in the shank pretty well. It also illustrates how dishonest Rocna is continuing to be by touting their straight pull load testing, when the only metric worth considering for the purposes of this discussion is side loading. Based on this video, it doesn't take much to bend a new Rocna when side loaded.

Big surprise.
Old 23-08-2011, 17:35   #82

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

its a thin flat piece of steel so its weak in that direction. If the steel had a profile like an I beam or a z shape or if it was a box beam of the same thickness, it would not have easily bent.
If the steel was spring steel as in a car or trailer leaf spring then there is no way that shank would have bent with him pushing on it against the wheel.

spring steel is designed to take a large force and spring back to its original shape, but make it too brittle and it will simply crack off. So there is a middle ground here, you want it springy and durable all at the same time, so make it of a higher temper and make it thicker.

I could see how that thin shank would bend in a storm if the anchor is stuck fast and the boat is pulling several hundreds or a thousand pounds it is going to bend. there is nothing in that video that tells me that steel is anything special than from a standard mild steel.
Scaling up to a bigger anchor of the same design and a heavier boat, will produce larger forces and it would still bend.
I think the hoe shape of these anchors hold well and the shanks are not beefy enough or of the proper kind of steel, so when a lot of pressure is on them they will yield.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 18:54   #83

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416

OK, I think I've got a good Rocna, but thought I'd ask the forum (or at least folks who follow this Rocna anchor stuff).

I bought our Rocna sometime in 2006 or 2007 - coulda been as late as November 2007 or so - it was shipped from Canada, maybe from an outfit called Suncoast or something like that.

So, do I have a Canadian Rocna, built to original specs, with no worries? It does not have the ROCNA stamped/cast into the fluke that I see on new ones.

We've spent a lot of time on that hook and like it a lot, waaay more than our old original Bruce (that we still have on the bow roller as our secondary).

Dave
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 19:05   #84

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

WTF? The anchor shown in the video is obviously a Manson Supreme because of the extra slot, in spite of the labeling. ???
sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 19:06   #85

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
In the hurry to denigrate ROCNA, if one reads the original notice from WEST Marine, very few models, in not many usual sizes, were objects of the recall. Please, folks, read before blathering. It might help to foster more considerate discussions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
WTF? The anchor shown in the video is obviously a Manson Supreme because of the extra slot, in spite of the labeling. ???
Nope, it's a Rocna.
Old 23-08-2011, 19:07   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Liberty View Post
OK, I think I've got a good Rocna, but thought I'd ask the forum (or at least folks who follow this Rocna anchor stuff).

I bought our Rocna sometime in 2006 or 2007 - coulda been as late as November 2007 or so - it was shipped from Canada, maybe from an outfit called Suncoast or something like that.

So, do I have a Canadian Rocna, built to original specs, with no worries? It does not have the ROCNA stamped/cast into the fluke that I see on new ones.

We've spent a lot of time on that hook and like it a lot, waaay more than our old original Bruce (that we still have on the bow roller as our secondary).

Dave

Dave, rest easy you have one of the best around.
Mark Pocock of Suncoast Marine was very strict and precise about sticking to the designers specs and as far as I know there has never been a BC one returned as bent.
He is an honest manufacturer and distributor and unfortunately is going to suffer greatly through loss of sales now, something he had no hand in causing.
Old 23-08-2011, 19:08   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sded View Post
It is a rocna fisherman model, 6kg.
Old 23-08-2011, 19:09   #88

Boat: J40 #33 since 1987

Ah, I see it is a Rocna Fisherman, not a Rocna Original. Didn't even know they made that one. Looks like the copying goes both ways.
Attached Images

sded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 19:11   #89

Quote:
its a thin flat piece of steel so its weak in that direction. If the steel had a profile like an I beam or a z shape or if it was a box beam of the same thickness, it would not have easily bent.
If the steel was spring steel as in a car or trailer leaf spring then there is no way that shank would have bent with him pushing on it against the wheel.

spring steel is designed to take a large force and spring back to its original shape, but make it too brittle and it will simply crack off. So there is a middle ground here, you want it springy and durable all at the same time, so make it of a higher temper and make it thicker.

I could see how that thin shank would bend in a storm if the anchor is stuck fast and the boat is pulling several hundreds or a thousand pounds it is going to bend. there is nothing in that video that tells me that steel is anything special than from a standard mild steel.
Scaling up to a bigger anchor of the same design and a heavier boat, will produce larger forces and it would still bend.
I think the hoe shape of these anchors hold well and the shanks are not beefy enough or of the proper kind of steel, so when a lot of pressure is on them they will yield.
The shank is 8mm thick
Old 23-08-2011, 19:39   #90

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Even anchors with box beam shanks can bend:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bent Spade.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	30802  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, marine, recall, rocna